SimCity Beta Giveaway!

Does it have multiple cities in one larger region? Maybe 5 has even more emphasis on neighbour exploitation? I only just realised that Sim City 4 has this, and I was trying to cram everything in one city.

ya 9 I think

I heard they wanted them to be this size so people focused on specializing their city in something and relying on their neighbors for others. They didn't want one city to say have an airport, be the best tourist spot, the best spot for say technology jobs, and also be a town that provides power to their neighbors. They want it split up so that say 1 city is known for it's tourism, another will be the technological advanced (say Silicon Valley), another may be a dirty coal mining/oil drilling town, and so on. They want you picking something and focusing on that narrower scope than having it all in one spot. Personally speaking I hope they make them much larger as I filled up this map in about 30-45mins without difficult and it was beginning to get there in population density.

They did it that size because of performance reasons: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/22/sim-city-size-restriction-explained/

The specialization is something different; its forced by the game, you have an option to choose what your city specializes in. Personally, I wish they wouldn't force those limitations, because the game is more fun when you can balance demands of different aspects of your city. Also, I wish they didn't force the cities to be separated by empty space, otherwise you could link together a city center with suburbs and smaller cities, to create a large municipal area.

Likely, they're skipping subways because they decided not to allow you to manually lay pipes and powerlines, so there was otherwise no need for an underground view. Too bad; personally I also wish they didn't take out the manual connection features, because stuff like powerlines are still a feature of cities and the game is enjoyable when you can model how real cities work. I'd also like to see things appear line telephone poles and wifi towers personally.:) But the loss of subways is particularly a downside. :(

Any beta keys left?

Want 1 for the wife.

The beta ends in about half an hour according to EA's email.

Thanks djdanster :)

No probs!

Just for everyone else, Crisp won after a redrawing as the original winner had already got his key :)

They did it that size because of performance reasons: http://www.pcgamer.c...tion-explained/

Kind of disappointing that they didn't allow people who could run something a bit bigger access to stuff like that. Anyways there's no way they're close to the same size of a medium SC4 map, boot it up and feel free to check for yourself but they certainly seemed much smaller than what SC4 offered when i booted it up. Didn't seem to have nearly as much land to work with and would say it's probably closer to about half the size of a SC4 medium map based on what you can lay down.

Despite that I still enjoyed what I played and while I may not pick it up right off the bat, I will if they offer some sort of discount or drop the price.

The EA cash machine rolls into action once more ;)

Endless add ons, expansions, downloadable tarmac, cement and slates etc, all lining the pockets of those greedy ******** again. Even worse, you need Origin, so no thank you.

Years after the Sims 3 release, along with endless cash milking through add on trash, they still refuse to offer this now 'out of date franchise' at a decent cost, and continue to milk it for all its worth.

Deja Vu?

Up yours EA!