linux questions ubuntu help

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:00

I have tried the "allow execution" with no luck.

This is the first time ever having this problem. I think there is something more going on though. Maybe something I accidentally removed from my system?

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:11

No, I have the main drive which was wiped and have Ubuntu installed, then I have 4 other drives with media on it.

there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in

#18 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:13

there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in

Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:17

Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.

yeah, windows does this too to some extent, with external hard-drives at least. but Unix does it with every storage device, whether it be hard-drive or flash-drive or SD card

#20 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26

So I came across a new problem today.

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND
There isn’t a software package called “file:” in your current software sources.

I dunno what I did, I already installed a few programs this way without issue.

Ideas?

Just quoting the question since conversation happened after it.

Yes I have tried "allow execution" in the menu options without luck.

I think it's something I might have removed from my system, because installing from .deb was working before.

#21 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:33

Was "the file" that was added to the trash bin from the external media?

#22 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:37

Yes, thought that was clear.

Now please move onto my latest question.

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:38

So I came across a new problem today.

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND
There isn’t a software package called “file:” in your current software sources.

I dunno what I did, I already installed a few programs this way without issue.

Ideas?

Thats very strange, I've never seen that issue before, I'm always able to install .debs fine by double clicking them. Only thing I can find on that error is this bug report which says its been fixed already: https://bugs.launchp...ter/+bug/752376

You could try the commandline to install it: sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb

You can also try using the gdebi package installer as an alternative to software-center for installing debs with a gui: sudo apt-get install gdebi, and then right click and open the .deb with gdebi.

EDIT: from the comments in the bug report you can also try the command: software-center debname.deb to open the deb in the software center.

#24 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:44

Well the .deb does open Software Centre, it's what gives the error.

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.

#25 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:11

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.

When you double click the .deb I assume its from the file manager? What file manager are you using? It should definitely work with nautilus, but if you are using a different file manager its possible that the file manager is feeding the software-center with some URI that it doesn't understand (I've seen pcmanfm do this kind of thing before I think), although according to that bug report the file: URI should be supported by software-center :/

#26 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:15

Your a genius. I didn't think that could have been a problem.

I am using PCManFM at the moment, and I tried launching the .deb file in default nautilus and it works like normal.

So I guess the question is, why is PCManFM having an issue and is there any solution? Not the biggest hassle to get these things installed obviously, but I would rather be able to do it from my choice of file manager.

#27 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:19

Your a genius. I didn't think that could have been a problem.

I am using PCManFM at the moment, and I tried launching the .deb file in default nautilus and it works like normal.

So I guess the question is, why is PCManFM having an issue and is there any solution? Not the biggest hassle to get these things installed obviously, but I would rather be able to do it from my choice of file manager.

pcmanfm does weird things with URI's apparently, its a nice file manager but its given me similar problems in the past (when I try to open a video from a mounted samba share in pcmanfm vlc would spit out a similar error, it would work fine in nautilus).

so it does sound you are indeed running into this bug: https://bugs.launchp...ter/+bug/752376 (pcmanfm is mentioned in the comments). What is strange is that according to the bug report software-center should now support this type of URI :/

EDIT: What version of ubuntu are you using? The fixed released note only mentioned quantal, it may not be fixed in 12.04 which would make sense as to why you still experience the issue.

I'd recommend giving gdebi a shot and see if it lets you open debs from pcmanfm, IMO gdebi is better than software-center for installing local .debs anyway, its much quicker. If it works you could set gdebi as the default for .debs and be good to go!

#28 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:20

http://askubuntu.com...center-in-12-10

When they mean name they mean the name of your file.

#29 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 00:42

pcmanfm does weird things with URI's apparently, its a nice file manager but its given me similar problems in the past (when I try to open a video from a mounted samba share in pcmanfm vlc would spit out a similar error, it would work fine in nautilus).

so it does sound you are indeed running into this bug: https://bugs.launchp...ter/+bug/752376 (pcmanfm is mentioned in the comments). What is strange is that according to the bug report software-center should now support this type of URI :/

EDIT: What version of ubuntu are you using? The fixed released note only mentioned quantal, it may not be fixed in 12.04 which would make sense as to why you still experience the issue.

I'd recommend giving gdebi a shot and see if it lets you open debs from pcmanfm, IMO gdebi is better than software-center for installing local .debs anyway, its much quicker. If it works you could set gdebi as the default for .debs and be good to go!

Yea I am on 12.04. If it's an issue that's not going to get fixed, I am ok with that. It's not that hard to open up Nautilus and run the .deb file. It's not like I need to do it all the time lol

I'm also not one for installing software that does the same thing as something else already installed, picky I know, but ya know.

Thanks.

#30 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 February 2013 - 20:36

How do I auto-mount drives on boot up? I have 4 internal media drives that need to be mounted automatically.

I have tried in the past and have caused issues with things. Easiest way possible?

Thanks.