Decent mail client for mac?

You're completely right about styling in Mail, this is why I've switched to Outlook, which I would rather let go on my Mac if I find an alternative.

Even worse, when you attach files through an email in Mail, it splits the text in the email in multiples attached files, but you don't know it unless you open your mails with something else. I can't believe this is happening, you have no idea how much trouble and projects delays this has caused me at work with my 3rd party suppliers when I didn't know about it, and especially because I'm the rebel using my MacBook in a company that works solely with their PCs. I felt foolish and ashamed.

See, this is one of the reasons Macs will never get adopted in serious enterprises, unless Apple fixes the issue.

It sends it as rich text using Helvetica. My guess is, since Helvetica isn't standard on Windows, whatever e-mail client you're reading it on isn't smart enough to replace it with Arial, so it goes to Times New Roman.

Try, in Mail, changing the default font to Arial or something else that's found on OSX and Windows.

Did not think of this, will give it a go. thanks

This issue has bugged me for years. The issue like OP said is with MacMail app and when it sends to a Windows based outlook receiver it strips the font used by mac and uses Times New Roman. Working with a bunch of tech guys, this drove them nuts. I used Postbox in the past and loved it. The main issue I have with it now is that it lacks Exchange support, so having to receive my exchange email via IMAP and not having calendar support ****ed me off. I also use Sparrow for my gmail, but it's not very friendly for exchange.

Recently I found an app called MessageFont (http://messagefont.com) which lets me input/define the font in Apple Mail and it actually sends to the user intact. It works great and works with the built in keyboard shortcuts in Mail. It takes some time getting used to it, but it works great and lets me continue using Mac Mail without the worry of loosing my font look. Also with attachments I've installed a plugin called AttachmentTamer which gives you much better control over attachments in Mail. Check this one out as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, the attachment handling is beyond a joke this looks promising.

I highly recommend Thunderbird if you want something customizable, fast, and compatible.

Mail is too basic for me - even Hotmail has more features.

The problem with Outlook is all the .dat files others will receive (in place of attachments!).

I highly recommend Thunderbird if you want something customizable, fast, and compatible.

Mail is too basic for me - even Hotmail has more features.

The problem with Outlook is all the .dat files others will receive (in place of attachments!).

the only problem with thunderbird is Mozilla is rumored to be killing it off here soon (i hope they don't as i love using it on the go with portable apps, but it's not looking good right now)

I've tried out Postbox and loving it so far, there is a free 30-day trial online.

Another annoyance with mail i forgot to point out was the way it groups each account under a folder.. eg. if i add 2 accounts both of them would be under Inbox.. i hated this, i like my accounts to be separate to avoid sending mail from the wrong account by accident which does happen.. Postbox helps fix this too.

The quick reply is great, attachments are handled much better and you can drag dropbox links into emails.. so far so good.

I've stumbled upon something called 'Airmail' it's still in an early beta so it's a little rusty but so far i'm loving it, the only thing missing that i can see is quick reply but it is confirmed for the next beta.

I can link my dropbox account and attachments are uploaded directly to it, giving much better control over attachments.

http://airmailapp.info

All this software for OSX looks so nice and professional compared to what you have on Windows :( Makes me want to get a Mac or at least install OSX (if there would be drivers for my WiFi card in OSX).

Just remember that reliability is important over anything else - I have multiple email access points,

Phone

iPad

Laptop

Desktop

Home Computer

From time to time I have experienced an issue with all other devices have received the email excluding one.

I've stumbled upon something called 'Airmail' it's still in an early beta so it's a little rusty but so far i'm loving it, the only thing missing that i can see is quick reply but it is confirmed for the next beta.

I can link my dropbox account and attachments are uploaded directly to it, giving much better control over attachments.

http://airmailapp.info

Site looks broken! where do you sign up for the beta?

After seeing various people recommend Postbox I decided to try the trial version. Only then did I realize just how slow and clunky Mail.app actually is.

You're completely right about styling in Mail, this is why I've switched to Outlook, which I would rather let go on my Mac if I find an alternative.

Even worse, when you attach files through an email in Mail, it splits the text in the email in multiples attached files, but you don't know it unless you open your mails with something else. I can't believe this is happening, you have no idea how much trouble and projects delays this has caused me at work with my 3rd party suppliers when I didn't know about it, and especially because I'm the rebel using my MacBook in a company that works solely with their PCs. I felt foolish and ashamed.

See, this is one of the reasons Macs will never get adopted in serious enterprises, unless Apple fixes the issue.

I've had similar issues with attachments in Mail :(. The interface for attachments is very ambiguous...

After seeing various people recommend Postbox I decided to try the trial version. Only then did I realize just how slow and clunky Mail.app actually is.

Maybe I'll give that a try then. I would love to have proper label support. I have "archiving" worked out in Mail App, but I don't like how currently "deleting" the message is really archiving it.

Quite happy with Postbox myself. Glad to see some other users of it out there.

If things keep going the way they are, it won't be around for much longer. They are not making profit and it's one of the reasons they reduced the price. It's not looking good for them.

Why

I don't understand why you people keep telling the OP to get Postbox and pay $$$ for that client when he can just get Thunderbird, which is the exact same thing. Postbox is based on Thunderbird and it is basically Thunderbird with a different UI. I am sure the OP can get that UI or similar theme UI on the Themes page and save himself some $$$.

I tried Thunderbird myself, but thought it was worse than the Mac Mail app. I find Firefox the same way compared to Opera, so I assume it is the use of Mozilla that I don't like. If Postbox is based off of Thunderbird, then they must have fixed all the crap that was wrong with it. Postbox is day-and-night better than Thunderbird. I'm sure there is a reason why Thunderbird is being discontinued. There hasn't been anything good released from the Mozilla folks since the days of Netscape, which was definitely the top web browser of it's time. I was actually quite sad when it got dropped.

If things keep going the way they are, it won't be around for much longer. They are not making profit and it's one of the reasons they reduced the price. It's not looking good for them.

What? Postbox is the best e-mail client available for either Mac or PC right now.

I tried Thunderbird myself, but thought it was worse than the Mac Mail app. I find Firefox the same way compared to Opera, so I assume it is the use of Mozilla that I don't like. If Postbox is based off of Thunderbird, then they must have fixed all the crap that was wrong with it. Postbox is day-and-night better than Thunderbird. I'm sure there is a reason why Thunderbird is being discontinued. There hasn't been anything good released from the Mozilla folks since the days of Netscape, which was definitely the top web browser of it's time. I was actually quite sad when it got dropped.

What? Postbox is the best e-mail client available for either Mac or PC right now.

Do you currently use Postbox? If so, can you please tell us in which way its better than Apple Mail, etc? Thanks.

Yes, I use it on both my Macs and my PCs. If it was available on my iPad, I would use it there too. Instead of typing the huge list of benefits, I will just give you this link: http://www.postbox-inc.com/. I would simply copy what it says there, but it is much more detailed than my list would be. It also has lots of pretty pictures to help you understand. Enjoy.

What a shame. It's a great client. I really think that getting it into the app store would help their numbers.

What a shame. It's a great client. I really think that getting it into the app store would help their numbers.

Absolutely, they talk about why they avoided the App Store on their blog and raise some valid points, but i can't help think they are missing out on a huge audience. Other companies have proved the added volume in sales and promotion make up for the strictness/30% cut.

+1000 for Postbox

http://www.postbox-inc.com/

And, if you purchase it, you get to use it on your Windows computers too!

Tim

Just to be clear, if you buy it once, you can download it for Windows and Mac?

I always appreciate programs that do that. I might consider it, as I hate pretty much all of the e-mail options in Windows.

Absolutely, they talk about why they avoided the App Store on their blog and raise some valid points, but i can't help think they are missing out on a huge audience. Other companies have proved the added volume in sales and promotion make up for the strictness/30% cut.

I understand both sides of the argument, I just think that if they are having funding issues, they could certainly turn it around. Maybe two versions... a "lite" app-store version and the full-fledged version they have now. I'm sure there more issues with that that I can see, but it might be worth it.

Just to be clear, if you buy it once, you can download it for Windows and Mac?

Yes. I've never tried the PC version though.

I understand both sides of the argument, I just think that if they are having funding issues, they could certainly turn it around. Maybe two versions... a "lite" app-store version and the full-fledged version they have now. I'm sure there more issues with that that I can see, but it might be worth it.

Yes. I've never tried the PC version though.

I tried it and it works quite well. Looks very good indeed so, yes, it would be a shame to see it vanish. I hope they can make money soon.

Does postbox work for all mail servers or just g-mail, because I don't particularly want g-mail (I have my own mail server) and it looks worth a try.