• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 RottGutt

RottGutt

I'm a geek. Deal with it.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 21:48

+1000 for Postbox

http://www.postbox-inc.com/

And, if you purchase it, you get to use it on your Windows computers too!

Tim

#17 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 22:08

+1000 for Postbox

Tim

This looks like the one! Thanks

#18 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5 (iOS 6)

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:27

Based on the reviews (via App Store) for the current version of Sparrow, I would avoid it like the plague.

Only because it was bought up by Google and probably won't be updated much anymore. It still continues to work.

I've heard Sparrow eats through battery on laptops. A mail client shouldn't do that I don't care how fancy it is.

I have heard that it sometimes spikes on CPU usage, but I've never had it do it to me.

Postbox seems nice, but I have the same problem with it as I do with Firefox: it falls into an "uncanny valley" of sorts in OS X. It looks so Mac-like that I expect it to behave like a typical Mac application, but then I run in to odd cross-platform quirks that make me hate it.

#19 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:25

Why

+1000 for Postbox

Tim

I don't understand why you people keep telling the OP to get Postbox and pay $$$ for that client when he can just get Thunderbird, which is the exact same thing. Postbox is based on Thunderbird and it is basically Thunderbird with a different UI. I am sure the OP can get that UI or similar theme UI on the Themes page and save himself some $$$.

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:28

I'm confused as to how an e-mail sent in mail could ever end up in Times New Roman. I've never seen it happen, myself, and I use OSX and Windows.

#21 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:49

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this as well to see what sort of response we have. Both at home and as a laptop I use a Mac for 1 of my companies. It is just how it has been from the start.
I originally had Outlook running (which is the companies standard) but I had an issue with the “Sent” folder when using IMAP. IF I sent an email ¼ of the time, the email could not be found within the “Sent” Folder.

Of course the old “I never received your email” conversation is a frequent reason to not get a task done and it was killing me that I could not forward or find text to look into the issue.

So I used Thunderbird, which in all aspects has functioned well but the search results never seem to be accurate. The search seems to show the oldest emails first and of course I am waiting through the pain of the page to load.

So I have resorted to using the using the stock mail app which works fantastically in all regards except for 2.

1: When people reply to me I notice that the emails have some items of a larger / bold font, I would prefer that it did not have the appearance that I am expressing certain parts of the email. In certain emails this can appear to be a negative response.

2: The email delivery time is really slow – this is not a huge issue, more of a productivity issue. When adding a new account it seems to take 5 minutes (often times out) and when I send an email it takes 1-2 minutes of just ticking away. IF I am trying to get through 600 emails – this can get frustrating.

I am sure I am the problem with my calibration of the tools but to be fair I do not have time to investigate these issues – I need a solution that just runs.

#22 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:43

I'm confused as to how an e-mail sent in mail could ever end up in Times New Roman. I've never seen it happen, myself, and I use OSX and Windows.

You wont see it happen because the app is styling the text, most clients add some basic styling as a standard, for example, arial/12px/black ... Mail.app does absolutely nothing, if you do not select the text and manually select a font then it is sent in Times New Roman/13px/black ... the end result depends on the client as if the client is styling unstyled text then it will look fine, but if the client does not style text then i assure you your mail is being sent in Times.

personally i think it looks rubbish and unprofessional.

example:
Posted Image

#23 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:13

You wont see it happen because the app is styling the text, most clients add some basic styling as a standard, for example, arial/12px/black ... Mail.app does absolutely nothing, if you do not select the text and manually select a font then it is sent in Times New Roman/13px/black ... the end result depends on the client as if the client is styling unstyled text then it will look fine, but if the client does not style text then i assure you your mail is being sent in Times.

example:
<snip>

I have been using Apple Mail for years now, and I have never seen this. Perhaps, the problem does not lie with you, but the other person? Just an hypothesis.

#24 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:36

example:

It sends it as rich text using Helvetica. My guess is, since Helvetica isn't standard on Windows, whatever e-mail client you're reading it on isn't smart enough to replace it with Arial, so it goes to Times New Roman.

Try, in Mail, changing the default font to Arial or something else that's found on OSX and Windows.

#25 blachole

blachole

user_defined™

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52

This issue has bugged me for years. The issue like OP said is with MacMail app and when it sends to a Windows based outlook receiver it strips the font used by mac and uses Times New Roman. Working with a bunch of tech guys, this drove them nuts. I used Postbox in the past and loved it. The main issue I have with it now is that it lacks Exchange support, so having to receive my exchange email via IMAP and not having calendar support ****ed me off. I also use Sparrow for my gmail, but it's not very friendly for exchange.

Recently I found an app called MessageFont (http://messagefont.com) which lets me input/define the font in Apple Mail and it actually sends to the user intact. It works great and works with the built in keyboard shortcuts in Mail. It takes some time getting used to it, but it works great and lets me continue using Mac Mail without the worry of loosing my font look. Also with attachments I've installed a plugin called AttachmentTamer which gives you much better control over attachments in Mail. Check this one out as well.

#26 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39

You're completely right about styling in Mail, this is why I've switched to Outlook, which I would rather let go on my Mac if I find an alternative.

Even worse, when you attach files through an email in Mail, it splits the text in the email in multiples attached files, but you don't know it unless you open your mails with something else. I can't believe this is happening, you have no idea how much trouble and projects delays this has caused me at work with my 3rd party suppliers when I didn't know about it, and especially because I'm the rebel using my MacBook in a company that works solely with their PCs. I felt foolish and ashamed.

See, this is one of the reasons Macs will never get adopted in serious enterprises, unless Apple fixes the issue.

#27 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:44

Outlook for Mac is such a let down.

#28 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31

It sends it as rich text using Helvetica. My guess is, since Helvetica isn't standard on Windows, whatever e-mail client you're reading it on isn't smart enough to replace it with Arial, so it goes to Times New Roman.

Try, in Mail, changing the default font to Arial or something else that's found on OSX and Windows.

Did not think of this, will give it a go. thanks

This issue has bugged me for years. The issue like OP said is with MacMail app and when it sends to a Windows based outlook receiver it strips the font used by mac and uses Times New Roman. Working with a bunch of tech guys, this drove them nuts. I used Postbox in the past and loved it. The main issue I have with it now is that it lacks Exchange support, so having to receive my exchange email via IMAP and not having calendar support ****ed me off. I also use Sparrow for my gmail, but it's not very friendly for exchange.

Recently I found an app called MessageFont (http://messagefont.com) which lets me input/define the font in Apple Mail and it actually sends to the user intact. It works great and works with the built in keyboard shortcuts in Mail. It takes some time getting used to it, but it works great and lets me continue using Mac Mail without the worry of loosing my font look. Also with attachments I've installed a plugin called AttachmentTamer which gives you much better control over attachments in Mail. Check this one out as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, the attachment handling is beyond a joke this looks promising.

#29 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49

I highly recommend Thunderbird if you want something customizable, fast, and compatible.

Mail is too basic for me - even Hotmail has more features.

The problem with Outlook is all the .dat files others will receive (in place of attachments!).

#30 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 January 2013 - 23:41

I highly recommend Thunderbird if you want something customizable, fast, and compatible.

Mail is too basic for me - even Hotmail has more features.

The problem with Outlook is all the .dat files others will receive (in place of attachments!).

the only problem with thunderbird is Mozilla is rumored to be killing it off here soon (i hope they don't as i love using it on the go with portable apps, but it's not looking good right now)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!