Photo

Sim city 2013 beta.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:06

I had it at 1024x 768. Everything on high and it was fine. I'll try bumping up the res later.

#17 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:20

It said my graphics card was below minimum specifications too. But,I'm running at 1600×900, with anti-aliasing and with high graphics quality and everything is running smoothly and quickly.

I hope they eventually fix some of the limitations of the game, online only and small maps, and add features like subways, then it would be worth getting.

#18 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:54

It said my graphics card was below minimum specifications too. But,I'm running at 1600×900, with anti-aliasing and with high graphics quality and everything is running smoothly and quickly.

I hope they eventually fix some of the limitations of the game, online only and small maps, and add features like subways, then it would be worth getting.

As has been the case with most games as of late (even Crysis 2, believe it or not), the settings were conservative.

I kept the same resolution and yanked up the settings to all HIGH detail (from all-Medium); still no problems. And I admit that an AMD HD5450 is almost as hooptie as modern desktop graphics gets.

The small maps are due to the one-hour per session limitation; however, multiple such sessions are not a problem.

And if you think that the one-hour session limit is a problem, then you obvious have never seen recent articles (the vast majority here on Neowin itself pre-NeoGamr) that go into some folks getting so into a game that they will literally play until they croak. Given our sue-happy society, without enforcement that can indeed happen - then the lawyers get involved. (That is why TERA Online - a real MMO - has an explicit alarm at the 30-minute, 45-minute, and one-hour mark - even in the US. The *secondary business* of law firms - and politicians - has become saving us from ourselves while making potfuls of money.)

#19 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:58

I have no idea what that last bit has to do with anything. I assume the one hour time limit is because its basically a demo. There's only so much you can do in it anyway.

#20 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:03

As has been the case with most games as of late (even Crysis 2, believe it or not), the settings were conservative.

I kept the same resolution and yanked up the settings to all HIGH detail (from all-Medium); still no problems. And I admit that an AMD HD5450 is almost as hooptie as modern desktop graphics gets.

The small maps are due to the one-hour per session limitation; however, multiple such sessions are not a problem.

And if you think that the one-hour session limit is a problem, then you obvious have never seen recent articles (the vast majority here on Neowin itself pre-NeoGamr) that go into some folks getting so into a game that they will literally play until they croak. Given our sue-happy society, without enforcement that can indeed happen - then the lawyers get involved. (That is why TERA Online - a real MMO - has an explicit alarm at the 30-minute, 45-minute, and one-hour mark - even in the US. The *secondary business* of law firms - and politicians - has become saving us from ourselves while making potfuls of money.)

Another game that does that alarm crap is Anno 2070, where it will signal when you've played 2, 4, and 6 hrs continuously.

But yea in the SimCity "beta" it will actually cut you off at the hour mark.

#21 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:25

Should be interesting when they find cheat codes.

#22 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:50

The demo has been enjoyable but there's only so much you can do in an hour time frame. I personally find it too easy and can fill up the map and get the population moving up pretty quick without any money problems. Been consistently finishing the hour time frame with a full map and a population of about 50k with about 200k worth of money in the bank and my taxes in around 5% for most classes (could probably drop it further without many problems. They restrict at least 2/3rds of what you can build so you're quite limited in what you can do but there's many things in the game that I really do like over having played Sim City 4 recently. What I like so far:

-Watching and hearing things like water and electricity start to flow and connect to the buildings in the city when you first place them down
-More freedom with roads (though the downside is they don't show the min width to build to maximize the space so sometimes they'll only build facing one street because other street a little further south that's running parallel is a bit too close)
-The way coverage is tracked by highlighting the roads green
-Bus stops no longer take up an actual space on the map, they're just signs you place along the street
-Building upgrades are great, it's an awesome way to expand buildings and increase capacities in places like schools, police stations, hospitals, etc..

#23 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:39

Well, 50k population and 200k in money in 1 hour? You're good. I've finished playing a couple of 1 hour games and never was able to get more than 10k population with 50k in money with 8% taxes.

But I keep on playing and that's a good sign. I'm gonna get this game when it ship.

Much better than SC4000.

#24 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:58

Enjoyable, lots of depth and good graphics. 1080p Ultra settings. 560ti, 8gb ram and i5 2500k 3.8ghz..

#25 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:15

I've pretty much just been trying to make the city as dense as possible so I've just been building a huge grid and generally by the 40-45min mark about half my residential has turned into apartments. I've also been taking out several bonds to get things jump started as I really don't find money to be as much of an issue or as hard to manage as it was in Sim City 4. I just worry about getting power, water and sewage taken care of then I start to build up about half the map at which point I'll start adding schools, garbage pickup, an other services before taking over the rest. I also rarely take it off cheetah speed if ever since I know we only have 1 hour. Also don't forget to add things like parks and such to the neighborhoods.

EDIT: A few quick tips for those who don't already know, CTRL will fill in a whole area when zoning, delete full rows of houses, streets and so on. If you hold SHIFT, that will keep your streets straight or at a 45 degree angle when you're laying them down

#26 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:23

This games crashing more then a female driver. No clue why just closes.

#27 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:04

Hardware specs, please. Something is fishy, since other than early on (VERY early on, and due to known issues), it hasn't crashed once.

And that is despite running a new OS (Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center) on old and hooptie desktop hardware (Intel Q6600 CPU and AMD HD5450 GPU).

#28 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:08

The beta appears to be disguised and is actually a demo of a finished product, and is trying to get you to pay for it at the end.

#29 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:19

I had to revert to an earlier driver with my amd 5770. It's a rock on CCC 12.10, but on 13.1 it continuously crashes as start up or when I go to build the town hall near the beginning of the level!

I've had a lot of fun with this beta. I have already pre-ordered it through Amazon for £34.99 - that's the cheapest I could find the physical DVD edition, but I found it on CJS CD Keys for £31.99 for the origin download. I can vouch that they're fully legit and the key it given instantly after purchase (excluding pre-orders!).

The beta appears to be disguised and is actually a demo of a finished product, and is trying to get you to pay for it at the end.

I agree, it seems very much like this. I think the Battlefield 3 Beta (also somewhat by EA) was also very well disguised as demo.

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:24

For the specs, remember that the demo is limited in that you can only play for one hour properly, it may very well require better hardware or lowering the graphics once you have a giant metropolis covering your screen.

though I'm not in the beta/demo so I can't tell

as for beta being a demo... yeah.... it's been like that for the last 5 years universally, and for a lot of games for the last 10. The only real testing done with none paid beta testers nowadays is stress testing.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!