Valve releases linux betas of Half Life 1 and Counter Strike 1.6

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,765 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:30

Valve is wasting its time and resources bringing a few games to desktop Linux. The market share of these OSes will remain insignificant for the foreseeable future, and that means new games will keep supporting only Windows and latest-gen consoles, and occasionally Mac.

I guess you don't know how many people actually use Steam then.

#17 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:31

Valve is wasting its time and resources bringing a few games to desktop Linux. The market share of these OSes will remain insignificant for the foreseeable future, and that means new games will keep supporting only Windows and latest-gen consoles, and occasionally Mac.

Linux will be the OS running the Steam box. I think it's pretty much a given that they're releasing these games on Linux in order to test and develop their IP for their console, rather than dedicating specifically to Linux development.

It's also worth bearing in mind that aside maybe from Desura, they don't actually have any competition in Linux gaming, therefore there's a lot of untapped potential userbase there. Humble Bundles have shown consistently that, given the choice, Linux users are happy to pay for games, so why not exploit that fact?

#18 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,799 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:37

Clearly they see a business justification to push forward for platform independence of their games instead of the traditional Windows dominance. If that business justification is their Steam boxes then so be it.

Other than allegience to a platform I find it a bit puzzling why people (not referring to you, but in general) would stand opposed to efforts to bring games to a wider audience.

Oh right, Steambox, forgot about that. I can't believe that's actually going to run Linux and be successful, considering there's essentially less than 0.001% of games that support Linux right now, and porting their own games to the platform won't skew that figure by much. It's... intriguing to say the least.

I'm not opposed to bringing games to a wider audience at all, I just don't see how bringing a few games to desktop Linux right now is a productive use of Valve's time. I suppose they're just trying to get some expertise and pushing issues out of the way for their Steambox as you mention but I'm extremely skeptical of what Steam can achieve on Ubuntu or such OSes.

#19 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,799 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:43

It's also worth bearing in mind that aside maybe from Desura, they don't actually have any competition in Linux gaming, therefore there's a lot of untapped potential userbase there. Humble Bundles have shown consistently that, given the choice, Linux users are happy to pay for games, so why not exploit that fact?

Desktop Linux is still hovering around 1% market share like it always did. It's not a big potential userbase, and most of it probably doesn't have the drivers or even hardware to run modern video games.

#20 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

• 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:43

Oh right, Steambox, forgot about that. I can't believe that's actually going to run Linux and be successful, considering there's essentially less than 0.001% of games that support Linux right now, and porting their own games to the platform won't skew that figure by much. It's... intriguing to say the least.

I'm not opposed to bringing games to a wider audience at all, I just don't see how bringing a few games to desktop Linux right now is a productive use of Valve's time. I suppose they're just trying to get some expertise and pushing issues out of the way for their Steambox as you mention but I'm extremely skeptical of what Steam can achieve on Ubuntu or such OSes.

Back in the days when GoldSrc wasn't called GoldSrc, HL1 and CS already had OpenGL support.

#21 08993

It burns!

• 1,094 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:53

How many people are using PS4's and XBox720's?

There's no distinction, Valve could have gone off and created their own ecosystem and released dev kits etc. and people would have still made games for it, as it is they've chosen an already established platform.

It's actually very clever and carries a lot less risk.

#22 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 00:54

Desktop Linux is still hovering around 1% market share like it always did. It's not a big potential userbase, and most of it probably doesn't have the drivers or even hardware to run modern video games.

True, but pair that with the first part of my response and it makes sense IMO. If you're making games for Linux, why not make them available to desktop users too? We don't know either way if the Steambox will be a hit. A venture into the console market is always a risk, but if the likes of Sony and Microsoft can pull it off, the cards aren't off the table for Valve either.

As it stands, the Steambox is on target to have ~80 launch titles, assuming all developers commit in full before launch day. This could be as high as a hundred, but definitely more than the 49 games currently available to desktop users. Not a bad start if you ask me.

#23 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:03

EA= no support and shut down of server after 1 year. False lock out of games for selfish greedy corporate reasons.
Valve= Maintaining servers, releasing patches, and releasing Linux versions over a decade later to fuel gabes hate for Windows 8. Not him caring about Linux just him wanting to be anti-Win8.

I buy valve games when they are full price, one of the only game developers I do that for. I will THINK about getting any EA game for a while when they hit around $5 bucks.

fixed for you. Don't want people getting the wrong idea. Gabe and Valve didn't give a rats ass about Linux or its users until gabe threw a tantrum about Windows 8 (hows that rage quit and no one using it going?). So don't try to pretend like he's seen the light and cares about us.

#24 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,799 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:08

As it stands, the Steambox is on target to have ~80 launch titles, assuming all developers commit in full before launch day. This could be as high as a hundred, but definitely more than the 49 games currently available to desktop users. Not a bad start if you ask me.

Where do you get that figure and how many of these will be new games?

#25 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:24

No new games as far as I'm aware, but I got the figures from a hand count here. Mostly indie games as it stands, but I can vouch that a fair few of them are pretty good.

#26 OP torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,728 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:30

True, but pair that with the first part of my response and it makes sense IMO. If you're making games for Linux, why not make them available to desktop users too? We don't know either way if the Steambox will be a hit. A venture into the console market is always a risk, but if the likes of Sony and Microsoft can pull it off, the cards aren't off the table for Valve either.

They are making their games available on desktop linux too, thats what this thread is about, you can play them on your pc or the upcoming steambox upgradable pc's. Steambox isn't going to be a single device, it will be small desktop pc's with multiple motherboard sections that can be upgraded, there will be multiple manufacturers making them.

#27 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:32

They are making their games available on desktop linux too, thats what this thread is about, you can play them on your pc or the upcoming steambox upgradable pc's.

I think you misunderstood. That was my point, the question was rhetorical :p

#28 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:38

And yet steam is still a 32-bit application without a metro interface.
For all intensive purpose steam is an advertising client, game launcher, gamer facebook, guides and FAQ, company and game update news source, console GUI, cloud storage for game settings, and probably something else I failed to mention.
And all I do is... launch games from it.

#29 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 2,181 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:44

The great thing about Linux gaming is that users won't have to pirate a version of Windows to run games. Good move Steam.

#30 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,175 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:46

And yet steam is still a 32-bit application without a metro interface.
For all [intents and purposes] steam is an advertising client, game launcher, gamer facebook, guides and FAQ, company and game update news source, console GUI, cloud storage for game settings, and probably something else I failed to mention.
And all I do is... launch games from it.

If you're looking for a metro-styled Steam client, our member BoneyardBrew has created a Metro-esque skin that you can check out here: http://www.neowin.ne...for-steam-271/.