Photo

GTX 660 ti (Good time to buy?)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:03

Are you looking to play Crysis 3 on Ultra?

I have an ASUS nVidia 660 ti oc and it has served me well - the prices have really dropped, which brings me back to my point above - roughly just before Crysis 3 comes out you will see companies pushing higher end cards - this might be a good time to buy the 660 or 700 series then.

#17 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:06

Like i said man its not worth getting any current gen card with the new ones coming right around the corner.

On Friday I bought a 660 nonTi to replace my 6850 despite knowing there are of course new cards coming. Why? We don't know when exactly that will happen, nothing has been announced and 'right around the corner' normally means in a few weeks. Don't believe that. We don't know how much they'll cost, it took a long while for the 7870 to get to 200$. A much faster card will cost more, the days of insanely low priced cards are behind us. Also I sold my 6850 for a little over 100€, won't get nearly that much later this year. Maybe it's not the perfect time to upgrade but the prices in the 200$/€ range are reasonable.

PS The 7870 is overall a better deal than the 660 nonTi (and Ti, which is a tad overpriced imo) but after years of AMD while VERY satisfied with them, I wanted to try something different.

#18 OP needsata

needsata

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:27

Like i said man its not worth getting any current gen card with the new ones coming right around the corner. People now buying 7950/660ti not realizing when the new series comes out they going to sell they card because they should of listened and waited and my opinion if you patient waiting is better with such close of release and rumors should start popping in soon with the gpu technology conf coming up in march..Most def wait

Alright thanks a lot

#19 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 27 January 2013 - 14:46

I do not see why it is not a good time to purchase one honestly. Sure you can wait for something better, but is that not always the case with all technology related components these days? It has dropped some in price since it was released, and again sure, it will drop more when new products are released, but again, if you always play the waiting game, you will find yourself in an infinite loop of waiting for the latest and greatest to be released.

As far as it being 50 dollars more than any AMD offering, well for some people, that extra $50 is worth it as far as driver support and the other things Nvidia offers, like the GeForce Experience. Note, I have not used that Experience yet myself, just saying, $50 is not a ton of money if what you are purchasing has better support than another similar brand. Now obviously that is an opinion based comment, but I think it is the overall opinion of all that use it that Nvidia has always been good with their driver support, etc.

#20 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:42

I'm waiting for my PowerColor 7870 2Gb, just ordered it from NCIX.CA for $199. I know that AMD is coming out "soon" with the 8000 serie, but that won't have a big impact on current price.

#21 OP needsata

needsata

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:53

Thanks guys, if ya'll had to choose from an HD 7950 and considering end-price, warranty options, rebates and so on (don't care much for the free game offerings myself) which would you choose?

http://www.newegg.co...CFYVFMgod4z0ADg

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161400

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150588

And feel free to finds some examples of your choices :)

Thanks again

I do not see why it is not a good time to purchase one honestly. Sure you can wait for something better, but is that not always the case with all technology related components these days? It has dropped some in price since it was released, and again sure, it will drop more when new products are released, but again, if you always play the waiting game, you will find yourself in an infinite loop of waiting for the latest and greatest to be released.

As far as it being 50 dollars more than any AMD offering, well for some people, that extra $50 is worth it as far as driver support and the other things Nvidia offers, like the GeForce Experience. Note, I have not used that Experience yet myself, just saying, $50 is not a ton of money if what you are purchasing has better support than another similar brand. Now obviously that is an opinion based comment, but I think it is the overall opinion of all that use it that Nvidia has always been good with their driver support, etc.

I'm waiting for my PowerColor 7870 2Gb, just ordered it from NCIX.CA for $199. I know that AMD is coming out "soon" with the 8000 serie, but that won't have a big impact on current price.

Thanks guys, if ya'll had to choose from an HD 7950 and considering end-price, warranty options, rebates and so on (don't care much for the free game offerings myself) which would you choose?

And feel free to finds some examples of your choices :)

Thanks again

#22 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 January 2013 - 15:54

Can't you just get a 690 instead?

#23 OP needsata

needsata

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:06

Can't you just get a 690 instead?

Expensive much??

#24 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:26

Like i said man its not worth getting any current gen card with the new ones coming right around the corner. People now buying 7950/660ti not realizing when the new series comes out they going to sell they card because they should of listened and waited and my opinion if you patient waiting is better with such close of release and rumors should start popping in soon with the gpu technology conf coming up in march..Most def wait

What do you mean "its not worth it"? Current gen cards will run new release games just fine, and they will do so for some time. And whatever new cards do come out this year are certainly not going to be cheaper than what's on the shelf right now.

Now, if you want to have the latest and greatest the day it is released, then by all means keep waiting (and pay the $ premium). But, in my opinion, that's like driving the brand new car off the lot.

#25 OP needsata

needsata

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2013 - 16:44

What do you mean "its not worth it"? Current gen cards will run new release games just fine, and they will do so for some time. And whatever new cards do come out this year are certainly not going to be cheaper than what's on the shelf right now.

Now, if you want to have the latest and greatest the day it is released, then by all means keep waiting (and pay the $ premium). But, in my opinion, that's like driving the brand new car off the lot.

Hey any thoughts on what "beats" what between these cards?

HD 7950 vs GTX 660 ti (heard so much about driver updates and performance differences since then...) do you have a grasp on it? I dont :)

#26 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:18

Expensive much??

Oh wow, I didn't realize they cost that much. I just heard people talking about them before. Are they worth the money?

#27 tim_s

tim_s

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:21

No matter when you buy a gpu - something will always be around the corner.

#28 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:13

What I'd look at here is coolers, and the XFX has the slickest one by far. You don't want a card that sounds like a vacuum cleaner any time you fire up a game.

#29 DigitalManifestations

DigitalManifestations

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:43

Can;t go wrong with Gigabyte. Well, you can but not often! The XFX one is a decent card as well. I've heard decent things about HIS but I've also heard they tend to get a little loud.

I second the don't wait option. If you wait for something better that's a few months off, you'll always be finding reasons not to upgrade.

#30 tim_s

tim_s

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:55

Must be a review page comparing the brands.

I would recommend nVidia of ATI right now.

(Personal opinion: Gigabyte looks like a safer option for over clocking)