Malicious Advertising on Main Page

I think about unblocking some sites, then I remember this type of advertising exists

That's why I tell everyone to block ads, it does a lot of damage, moreso for people that blindly click that "you're a winner!!!!" box! >_<

I think about unblocking some sites, then I remember this type of advertising exists, so I don't. I heart you adblock. ???

So you think it's a better idea to prevent the site from making any money on your visits so they can stay in business,instead of you not clicking the one in a million obviously malicious ad that gets through the cracks.

Just don't click it, report it and let the admins handle it. they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

• Like 3

Lol I clicked the link and this is what I got.

http://i.imgur.com/y4hnvqi.png

Please forgive the volume bar, I hit the wrong volume rocker button.

We'll take a look at this, have you seen it again since posting?

Yeah, I just took the screenshot again. Didn't think to get the stupid URL copied. :/

I really only see it on the mobile version, then I just usually switch to the desktop version and the usual acceptable ads appear.

So you think it's a better idea to prevent the site from making any money on your visits so they can stay in business,instead of you not clicking the one in a million obviously malicious ad that gets through the cracks.

Yes, I do think so. I don't blame site owners from wanting to make money, but like everyone else, sometimes I end up clicking a link by error. I lost a 7 month project because of that a number of years ago. Luckily, I had a backup and only lost about 18 hours, but the potential to harm me was just too great. I've seen too many things in online advertising. And, if I am working remotely on my PC (as I am at this moment) those with heavy graphic content can kill my response time. Static graphics I am fine with. Video ads or ads with animated GIFs and other forms of video are ALWAYS unwelcome.

• Like 3

Just don't click it, report it and let the admins handle it. they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

Boo hoo. Perhaps Neowin should be more selective about who they get ads from. Especially if

they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

By the sounds of this, that is a regular occurrence?

You know who is to blame for ad-blocking software? Advertisers. Because they've used so many underhanded, scummy, unethical, annoying, and sometimes criminal behaviour to advertise to users, damn near everyone blocks ads.

Right, if we could keep this thread on track rather than discussing why people should (and should not) use Adblock.

It does appear that it only affects the mobile site, rather than the desktop which doesn't have these issues. Obviously the mobile ad provider is at fault so this needs checking out by the higher ups.

What's wrong with it? It's just a normal ad, you aren't required to click it. Blocking them makes it more difficult to fund the website overall and it's a fact of life we need them to pay for everything.

It's only malicious when popups appear and require you to interact with the ad, in which case we will do something about it to get that ad removed.

Did anyone check the app the ad pushed when clicked to check what it was?

If your on mobile it directs you to a premium SMS scamming site (you enter your number and reply to a text then get hit with ridiculous bills). As for the desktop redirect I haven't checked it out because I'm not getting the ad anymore, might change UA string and see what comes up, if there's a download I'll take it apart and see what's going on. I'm still not sure how Neowin's ad system works, is it just number of places-amount of unique IPs seing it or is it click based?

What's wrong with it? It's just a normal ad, you aren't required to click it. Blocking them makes it more difficult to fund the website overall and it's a fact of life we need them to pay for everything.

It's only malicious when popups appear and require you to interact with the ad, in which case we will do something about it to get that ad removed.

Normal ad that takes you to a SMS scamming site...

Wow...

Normal ad that takes you to a SMS scamming site...

I don't think he cares...

We have no control over what happens after you click an ad. If an ad is doing something on this site without you clicking on it, that is when I want to know and I'll take action for you!

I really don't understand the deal here :p There are also ads that want you to play a game online and it costs money to proceed to the next level or you need to buy things in order to continue, I think those are a scam too, but they are perfectly legal in most countries. I choose to simply ignore those ads and not click on them :)

We have no control over what happens after you click an ad. If an ad is doing something on this site without you clicking on it, that is when I want to know and I'll take action for you!

I really don't understand the deal here :p There are also ads that want you to play a game online and it costs money to proceed to the next level or you need to buy things in order to continue, I think those are a scam too, but they are perfectly legal in most countries. I choose to simply ignore those ads and not click on them :)

Fair enough I'd like to think everyone here is smart enough not to fall for that crap.

+1 how is that malicious?

I thought the same too when I read the topic but didn't want to say due to fear of backlash

Malicious to me mean virus/spyware threat.

Why am I not surprised this is a typical overreaction than a real issue? Sorry but I don't buy the whole "accidental" clicking on an ad, I've never done it and been using the Net since it was the Internet and AOL/Compuserve qere kings :p