Malicious Advertising on Main Page

bug

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2013 - 22:49

Wanted to make the staff aware of potential malicious advertisements on the top of the main website when viewed on my device. I've included a screenshot and will block ads from your website until its resolved.

http://i.imgur.com/CeBH8fU.png

Lol if someone could fix my typo in my title, apparently my auto correct messed me up. Lol

#2 Juddy

Juddy

formerly compl3x

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:41

I think about unblocking some sites, then I remember this type of advertising exists, so I don't. I heart you adblock. ♥‿♥

#3 OP Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:41

For funsies when I saw it I clicked it, and it prompted me to install an application and my brain was like "No you fool!".

#4 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:44

I think about unblocking some sites, then I remember this type of advertising exists

That's why I tell everyone to block ads, it does a lot of damage, moreso for people that blindly click that "you're a winner!!!!" box! >_<

#5 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:47

Someone run this in a vm

#6 Juddy

Juddy

formerly compl3x

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:25

Someone run this in a vm

Go for it. Report back. :p

#7 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20

We'll take a look at this, have you seen it again since posting?

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:00

I think about unblocking some sites, then I remember this type of advertising exists, so I don't. I heart you adblock. ♥‿♥

So you think it's a better idea to prevent the site from making any money on your visits so they can stay in business,instead of you not clicking the one in a million obviously malicious ad that gets through the cracks.

Just don't click it, report it and let the admins handle it. they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

#9 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 15:04

Does Neowin get money for displaying the adverts or only for clicks? If it's just clicks do they really generate any revenue, everyone knows not to click adverts... or atleast 99% of Neowin audience does

#10 OP Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 January 2013 - 17:48

Lol I clicked the link and this is what I got.

http://i.imgur.com/y4hnvqi.png

Please forgive the volume bar, I hit the wrong volume rocker button.

We'll take a look at this, have you seen it again since posting?

Yeah, I just took the screenshot again. Didn't think to get the stupid URL copied. :/

I really only see it on the mobile version, then I just usually switch to the desktop version and the usual acceptable ads appear.

#11 SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

Posted 28 January 2013 - 18:47

So you think it's a better idea to prevent the site from making any money on your visits so they can stay in business,instead of you not clicking the one in a million obviously malicious ad that gets through the cracks.

Yes, I do think so. I don't blame site owners from wanting to make money, but like everyone else, sometimes I end up clicking a link by error. I lost a 7 month project because of that a number of years ago. Luckily, I had a backup and only lost about 18 hours, but the potential to harm me was just too great. I've seen too many things in online advertising. And, if I am working remotely on my PC (as I am at this moment) those with heavy graphic content can kill my response time. Static graphics I am fine with. Video ads or ads with animated GIFs and other forms of video are ALWAYS unwelcome.

#12 Juddy

Juddy

formerly compl3x

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:54

Just don't click it, report it and let the admins handle it. they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

Boo hoo. Perhaps Neowin should be more selective about who they get ads from. Especially if

they tend to be very quick to handle any ads that break the rules.

By the sounds of this, that is a regular occurrence?

You know who is to blame for ad-blocking software? Advertisers. Because they've used so many underhanded, scummy, unethical, annoying, and sometimes criminal behaviour to advertise to users, damn near everyone blocks ads.

#13 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:03

Odd -- I never see these.

#14 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 28 January 2013 - 22:59

Right, if we could keep this thread on track rather than discussing why people should (and should not) use Adblock.

It does appear that it only affects the mobile site, rather than the desktop which doesn't have these issues. Obviously the mobile ad provider is at fault so this needs checking out by the higher ups.

#15 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 29 January 2013 - 00:32

I never use Adblock. On the other hand, I seldom notice the banner ads.

Hope you get it fixed.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!