Has Neowin hit a all time low? If so, one day boycott

There is a lot of pro Microsoft bias amongst Neowin's staff but this particular question doesn't really cause any great harm although admittedly it could be classed as flamebait. There are perceptions of pro Microsoft anti Apple bias on Neowin and if anything this poll seems to be an attempt to discern how true that is.

A fan appreciates the product they use. A fanboy is out there to convince the universe that everything else is ****, ruins discussion for people who are using other stuff ...

Oh -- well in that case, I am just a fan.

Hopefully in the future Mods will stop calling me a 'fanboy' just because I say I like a given product. ;)

Wow, just wow. Not trying to be a dick here, but you have got to be kidding me right?

A technology related website makes a poll asking about the most hated and revered technology company currently out at the time, asking if their members indeed do hate them or not, and it is somehow an all time low? Seriously?

And just throwing this one out there, did you ever stop to think perhaps this is the precursor to a article written about why it seems people may hate/love Apple for good reason/no good reason at all. For example that article could start off "Earlier in the week, we conducted a poll to find out just how our members feel towards Apple, and 47% admitted to hating them..."

Or even more crazy, perhaps this was a way to find out if Neowin perhaps needs to drop their known association with being a Windows only site, and start providing even more coverage of Apple related products to boost up the member base? Perhaps they are looking to expand even more, and this was a way to gauge if that is indeed needed?

I could go on and on. It is a poll about if people love or hate the most loved and hated technology company out there right now pretty much. I see this being no different than a major gaming website starting a poll asking "Do you love or hate the XBox/PS3/Wii?"

Now thing is, I personally think it is absolutely silly for people to love or hate any corporate entity, I just do not believe in pledging ones allegiance to any company who at the end of the day is making money on the consumer itself, or for being that materialistic that you can have feelings for an piece of plastic with components inside it, however I do not think it is out of the ordinary, or an all time low, for any tech site, Neowin included, to ask its members if they happen to love or hate a company who many people in fact either love or hate.

What are your thoughts on the one about Microsoft? I think I saw one about "do you hate Microsoft". Is that one okay, while the one about Apple is bad? Geeze, stop being so sensitive and offended about stupid stuff.

It still amazes me the way humans will totally ignore important things going on, but will flip out about trivial, stupid things.

The one about Microsoft is a user created poll, and it just goes on to prove what kind of reaction the articles on the front page produce. It's not about which one is good or bad, you're completely missing the point, it's just very cheap, and while yes, these things truly unimportant, they produce chock-full of responses by the people who don't get that and ruin any other discussion.

• Like 1

The problem is that it's the lowest form of click bait out there. And the second, larger problem is that it nurtures the fanboy mentality, instead of fighting it. This place has become horrible and there is basically no discussion anymore, it's just flamewar after flamewar. And it's not surprising in the least, when the idiots in charge post stuff like that on the front page.

And sure, I'm thinking of "ignoring" this site. It has turned to sh*t when it comes to front page news, and in turn it has turned the message board (the reason I'm here) into a cesspool of idiocy with a lot of long time members leaving the place because of it.

If you honestly don't see anything wrong with the poll, than I don't know what to say. This truly is a sad day for everyone who's been here for years, to witness Neowin scraping the bottom of the internet journalism barrel to get a few clicks.

To be honest, there are certain sub-forums I choose to ignore on a basis of not being what I wish to read. Yes it is an easy way to attract people to click on it, but it's just a little weekend casual debate, it's a hot topic and invokes discussion. I could say 'Do you hate X, discuss' and then there would be plenty of interesting discussion, those who break site rules in the process will be dealt with, and all should be well.

It's the sort of discussion that would arise in a group of people at the pub over a few pints, you could start a poll in the politics subforum with the same manner. These sort of polls also show us what our member base is primarily made up of ;)

Wow, just wow. Not trying to be a dick here, but you have got to be kidding me right?

A technology related website makes a poll asking about the most hated and revered technology company currently out at the time, asking if their members indeed do hate them or not, and it is somehow an all time low? Seriously?

Now thing is, I personally think it is absolutely silly for people to love or hate any corporate entity, I just do not believe in pledging ones allegiance to any company who at the end of the day is making money on the consumer itself, or for being that materialistic that you can have feelings for an piece of plastic with components inside it, however I do not think it is out of the ordinary, or an all time low, for any tech site, Neowin included, to ask its members if they happen to love or hate a company who many people in fact either love or hate.

^ Well said -- and there are middle grounds between hate and love. ;)

All it is, is a simple question.

It's a leading question. It's like Fox News asking "is climate change a conspiracy?" or "is black culture fundamentally un-American?" - the question is used to push an agenda.

It would have been more appropriate to ask: "What is your opinion of Apple as a company?", and to give more options: love them; like them; dislike them; hate them; no opinion.

It's a leading question. It's like Fox News asking "is climate change a conspiracy?" or "is black culture fundamentally un-American?" - the question is used to push an agenda.

It would have been more appropriate to ask: "What is your opinion of Apple as a company?", and to give more options: love them; like them; dislike them; hate them; no opinion.

Of course, if the poll was conducted as a research study then yes this would make more sense, but it's just aimed as a bit of silly weekend fun from what I've seen. It's just a shame that even though it's a very burning issue, many people take the idea of asking questions to heart, you could ask your friend this question and it would be fine, but asking the whole internet? Oh you just can't ask it simply, you have to justify the reason for it etc.

It isn't a research survey, or anything of the sort, it's a question that will get people to read and answer.

And just throwing this one out there, did you ever stop to think perhaps this is the precursor to a article written about why it seems people may hate/love Apple for good reason/no good reason at all. For example that article could start off "Earlier in the week, we conducted a poll to find out just how our members feel towards Apple, and 47% admitted to hating them..."

Or even more crazy, perhaps this was a way to find out if Neowin perhaps needs to drop their known association with being a Windows only site, and start providing even more coverage of Apple related products to boost up the member base? Perhaps they are looking to expand even more, and this was a way to gauge if that is indeed needed?

I could go on and on. It is a poll about if people love or hate the most loved and hated technology company out there right now pretty much. I see this being no different than a major gaming website starting a poll asking "Do you love or hate the XBox/PS3/Wii?"

The difference is in "Do you HATE Apple?" vs a poll that says "What do you think about Apple?". One is a mature way of asking the question for any of the reasons you mentioned, the second is the immature way. And it has to do with a lot more than just this article. I would love to think that this is somewhat of a research poll in a way for a larger article written on people's love or hate for a company, but again, it's in how the question was asked, and on top of that, this site doesn't even have writers that could write a piece like that. If a gaming website asked the question "Do you hate the PS3?" it would sound just as mature, I'd say no, and I'd say I think the Xbox is far better. Stop trying to emulate major media by having to make everything so sensationalist.

And yes, your first line is exactly what I thought when opening Neowin today.

• Like 1

As long as equal platform is given to everyone including those that dislike MS I can't see an issue with it, if anything the moderation on Neowin does slowly seem to be getting a little less officious and I feel sites like this work best when people can express themselves and only receive punishment if they're a total ass.

Agreed. It's a very blunt question, but its one that could easily provoke great discussion if you can wade through all the BS that will obviously come from it.

Im not an apple fan but i dont see why there needs to be a front page poll about it, saying that though this is the second thread i have replied to where people have complained about the front page news and i know what the end response will be... "We have ten years experience at running the site and nothing is going to change".

If you dont like the the articles on the front page then boycott the front page thats what ive been doing for the past few months when i said i would in the last thread like this. I dont feel that this place is where journalism looks professional at all so i go elsewhere for my daily tech news, i just use the forum but even thats been going down hill.

No doubt they have statistics that show how good the news section is doing if they see them numbers decrease then maybe they will actually listen to there readers until then, these threads are pointless.

• Like 1

I found that one particular front page item very stupid. Isn't one of the rules of the forums to not open threads with the intention of a flamewar?

Neowin, in spite of its name, used to a be a nice 'tech' community. Now somehow they've taken a turn for the worse ever since windows 8 became such a dividing issue.

• Like 1

I found that one particular front page item very stupid. Isn't one of the rules of the forums to not open threads with the intention of a flamewar?

Neowin, in spite of its name, used to a be a nice 'tech' community. Now somehow they've taken a turn for the worse ever since windows 8 became such a dividing issue.

Silly you, don't you know the rules only apply when they feel like applying them?

I suggest that those who feel this way mouse over the author's name on the post and report it.

Of course, if the poll was conducted as a research study then yes this would make more sense, but it's just aimed as a bit of silly weekend fun from what I've seen. It's just a shame that even though it's a very burning issue, many people take the idea of asking questions to heart, you could ask your friend this question and it would be fine, but asking the whole internet? Oh you just can't ask it simply, you have to justify the reason for it etc.

The trouble is that it's uncharacteristic of Neowin. I've seen forums posts get removed for doing less and yet this is on the frontpage - people are understandably a little annoyed. I know it was meant light-heartedly but because the question is so heavily slanted it is taken to represent the position of Neowin.

Personally it doesn't really bother me much but it was obvious that such a poll was going to create a lot of hostility, so I don't really see the point.

• Like 1

The kind of people that actively "hate" a company, are usually trolls. So yeah, I guess a flame war bait on the front page IS a new low

I've seen forums posts get removed for doing less and yet this is on the frontpage - people are understandably a little annoyed.
I've seen people banned for less. This kind of stuff is normal. As long as it gets more page impressions or clicks for the ads it's all good for some people.

pzblCl.png

• Like 2

See i told you neowin didnt care, they want to loose members of the community that disagree with them, totally idiotic.

1o6ccg.png

That's rather disappointing. :no:

• Like 2

This is culmination of a long line of degradation occurring at Neowin. While they previously had a relatively unbiased viewpoint and reported news on a wide variety of topics they've devolved into reporting about every time someone at MS sneezes. They know their MS fan boy demographic and page views & comments seem to be their only aim at this point. I used to rely on Neowin to keep me informed of news other topic specific websites missed out but that time is long past. Their slogan shouldn't be 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better' but rather 'Windows 8, WP8, Microsoft...nuff said!'.

This is culmination of a long line of degradation occurring at Neowin. While they previously had a relatively unbiased viewpoint and reported news on a wide variety of topics they've devolved into reporting about every time someone at MS sneezes.

I don't think that's entirely fair. Most of the pro-Microsoft articles comes from a single member of staff - other than that Neowin is generally reasonably balanced. The frontpage "Do you hate Apple?" poll is certainly bad - and likely would have been deleted were it posted by a user in the forums - but I think that's more of a lapse of judgement rather than a general trend.