Why I posted the poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#16 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:18

The news articles have to be approved by editors before they get posted I do believe.

Well, maybe there should be stricter guidelines? I don't know, I'm not a reporter or an editor. If I was, there would be some real drivel on the front page.

#17 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:20

As you may be aware, yesterday/today I posted a poll on the front page asking people whether they "hated Apple". Unfortunately this created some backlash among the community (read here), and I feel that it's appropriate for me to respond.

It was not my intention to create a hate war or flame war, and I certainly wasn't looking to bring the site into disrepute, and for that I am sorry. My intentions were to sift through responses and create a follow-up editorial on why you shouldn't hate a company while highlighting quality member responses, but clearly now this isn't possible. I appreciate the efforts of members who went to the effort to respond to the poll in an intelligent and civil manner.

I also apologize for suggesting (via my Twitter account, which is linked to the forum sidebar) that people should leave the site if they are offended by my poll. In hindsight that was a definite overreaction, and to those members who actually did leave, I hope that one day you will return.

I hope that members here will look past our infrequent missteps and continue to enjoy our front page content and vibrant community.

Thank you for this thread/post Scorpus. I believe it was necessary to explain to the community everything and that it does not represent Neowin in any way shape or form.

I am also glad you removed the article from the frontpage which is also very rare (a article removed from the frontpage)

We all make mistakes Scorpus so you are human :) I encourage you to make another poll stating "Do you dislike a company?" end question. Dislike is a better word than hate and just using "company" englobes everything in general.

Thank you very much Scorpus :)

#18 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:26

My intentions were to sift through responses and create a follow-up editorial on why you shouldn't hate a company while highlighting quality member responses, but clearly now this isn't possible.

You need to understand that Apple and Linux users are defensive here because they get attacked everytime they want to talk about their tools or seeks help for their product. Of course it backslashed, the community here has become a very offensive MS centered cult.

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,418 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:27

People left because of that?
Brings a whole new meaning to facepalm.

#20 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,556 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:31

<<Thread Cleaned>> - Stay on topic at hand please.

#21 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 15,093 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:31

Thanks for the post. I appreciate your candor and sincerity, Scorpus (Y).

#22 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:32

Yup. I facepalm when people dont understand why Neowin posted such a flamebait article and its members do not agree nor want to be assosiated with that....

#23 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:33

Personally I think it is absolutely pathetic the fuss people kick up if a company is even hinted at being less than a god to them, OBSESSION MUCH?

It's not YOUR company, you have nothing to do with that company no matter how much you dream, you only own some extortionately priced iSomething, Geez, you sound like .... actually you don't even sound like someone who owned Apple, you sound like a fool... protecting something that is not even yours as if it was your own love child? Come on... grow up.

Do you hate Apple is a perfectly fine question, UNLESS you know more people will say YES than NO and that would scar you for life and cause you to rock uncontrollably in the corner of your padded iCell

Neowin should be able to post questions aimed at anyone, and not have to remove them on demand of 13 year old fanbois who can't cope, you know, the type who make youtube videos screaming to "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE AAAAHHHHH"

:/ :/

#24 superconductive

superconductive

Neowinian

• 329 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:34

Well, I know would be really sad to see no more posts with
GS:(insert OS here) :wacko:

#25 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,418 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:34

Really who gives that much of a **** about some poll....? Ignore it and get on with your life if you hate the content. Put some of that passion into something productive and STFU.

Let people vent that wanna get thier **** out about a software company.

Actually polls like these help the companies out... they see them... they can improve.

if people are afraid of speaking thier minds about company issues then companies will continue to get worse and we all take it up the ass.

I encourage polls like this and nobody should be forced to delete those.

#26 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:35

That is correct, articles require approval by the Editors before they go to the front page. This is to stop the Reporters posting random drivel like 'HOLY GUACAMOLE MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE SPOTTED WITH AN IPAD STOP THE PRESSES' :p

I think John posted one of these.. :p

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:35

Really who gives that much of a **** about some poll....? Ignore it and get on with your life. Put some of that passion into something productive and STFU.

Let people vent that wanna get thier **** out about a software company.

Actually polls like these help the companies out... they see them... they can improve.

if people are afraid of speaking thier minds about company issues then companies will continue to get worse and we all take it up the ass.

I encourage polls like this and nobody should be forced to delete those.

Here here +42
Hear hear +42

#28 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,674 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:36

It really wasn't that big of a deal, maybe the term "hate" could have been replaced with "dislike" but other then that anyone who took offense to the story personally either must have a first name of Apple and thought it was about them or needs to take a serious vacation from the internet and do some soul-searching.....

I couldn't care less about Apple but I objected to the poll because it was pointless flamebait. The whole episode was pretty shoddy and is symptomatic of wider problems with this site. You guys need to get your house in order.

#29 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:41

It is sad some members deemed this response necessary. I had no problem with the poll personally, and actually had a bit more of an issue with it being removed.

Had it been a poll saying:
Do you hate Google?
Do you hate Microsoft?
Do you hate NVIDIA?

Really anything else, the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as severe. Heck, we have already had many polls and official discussions on Microsoft after Windows 8, including a poll basically asking if you hate it. But because it was Apple, the backlash came out. It was a completely reasonable poll, with some reasonable and good responses. Apple "fans" are always on the constant defensive and feel the need to lash out or justify the hate towards the product of their choice. Most people truly don't care, but Apple garners the most hate because of their business practices that clearly do harm the industry, so it was a completely valid poll and question to be asked, and discussed. And it was well discussed amongst the commenters.

Regardless, I don't think you should have removed it, or stood down from your position on it. It was completely in-bounds and reasonable and a few members got hurt about it, because that is simply how Apple fans react. It isn't some new behavior, nor unknown, and I refuse to be politically correct on this, because some people just need to grow up. Now, you should have known this was going to happen and maybe had the editorial prepared much sooner to combat the initial response and let it die down.

Other than that, I try to stay out of this stuff, simply because it isn't worth arguing over.

#30 CoLdFuSi0n

CoLdFuSi0n

Pimpin Around Neowin

• 4,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:43

It is sad some members deemed this response necessary. I had no problem with the poll personally, and actually had a bit more of an issue with it being removed.

Had it been a poll saying:
Do you hate Google?
Do you hate Microsoft?
Do you hate NVIDIA?

Really anything else, the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as severe. Heck, we have already had many polls and official discussions on Microsoft after Windows 8, including a poll basically asking if you hate it. But because it was Apple, the backlash came out. It was a completely reasonable poll, with some reasonable and good responses. Apple "fans" are always on the constant defensive and feel the need to lash out or justify the hate towards the product of their choice. Most people truly don't care, but Apple garners the most hate because of their business practices that clearly do harm the industry.

Regardless, I don't think you should have removed it, or stood down from your position on it. It was completely in-bounds and reasonable and a few members got hurt about it, because that is simply how Apple fans react. It isn't some new behavior, nor unknown, and I refuse to be politically correct on this, because some people just need to grow up. Now, you should have known this was going to happen and maybe had the editorial prepared much sooner to combat the initial response and let it die down. Other than that, I try to stay out of this stuff, simply because it isn't worth arguing over.

This