Why I posted the poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#46 OP vetScorpus

Scorpus

Tim Schiesser

• 1,376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:06

By the way Scorpus, rather than use the community as guinea pigs it might have been easier if you'd just been up front about this and asked people for their opinions about fanboyism. You might have received some intelligent, considered responses without losing members or having to suggest that people should leave.

I shouldn't have to ask for intelligent responses, but your point has been noted

#47 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:07

I WILL be linked to members who might have left just due to that front page poll and hence I'll throw in my hat into this thread.

I did not leave due to the poll, but the way staff came across in this instance (granted this thread was actually a shining example of how to react to such things, no sarcasm) and a bunch more, also due to front page news quality in general and the community (partly).

I've long been thinking about leaving and today's discussion actually brought up those thoughts again on a Sunday with not much to do so I took my time to think about it and I'm not leaving without shedding a tear, because this community can be so much much more than what it sadly can also be.

I'm not going to a community I don't feel welcome at anymore, so I'm packing my stuff and leave.

I might come back again sometime, but as things stand now, I won't.

I've also received a great response by Barney, probably one of the best staff members around and he's sad to see me go.
I've noticed those who said they are happy to see me go and those who are not happy about it.

I hope Neowin gets back on track again, 2 years ago this was still a glorious place and I wouldn't have thought about leaving.
I really enjoyed my stay and maybe one day I'll come back, until then I'm going to invest the time into offline life.

Glassed Silver:mac

I for one am going to miss you and a few others. I agree that this site has gone from bad to worse. I'll more then likely be out the door behind you. I know I'm one of the ones who are also not welcome here. So I will probably be tossed out on my ear.

Maybe people dont get it, but us Apple users are getting quite tired that people get high fives for trolling our threads. We have as much right as any to ask for help or share tips about our tools. I personally dont care if people like a company or not. I dont love apple, I dont care for it as a company, I just like their computer designs and quite frankly I have all the right to spend my money in what I like. Why should people take that against any of us?

I wouldnt have a problem with polls like these if I knew that people would participate in a civil manner. But Neowin is not the case. It's a constant back and forth about e-penis size and brand loyalty (seriously, is there anything more idiotic than this?).

Computers are tools, nothing more. We threat computer brands as political parties.

And the same goes to those apple users who brag about their computers and feel superior to everyone else. Go die in an alley! It's because people like you that this started.

FFS, I just want a civil and mature community.

I agree with you sanctified. I don't use Mac, but I honestly don't use Windows much anymore. I like Linux. Linux users end up getting bashed a lot also. Not like Mac users though. Y'all get it far worse. Which is a shame that anyone gets bashed. It's a freakin OS people. Get a grip.

But it's the thing to do. Bash, bash and bash some more. Get bashed long enough and people tend to fight or flee. I for one am tired of fighting.

#48 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:09

I shouldn't have to ask for intelligent responses, but your point has been noted

It makes me laugh, members defend free speech, the right to carry arms, etc etc, but the second Apple is in danger of being knocked off their high horse it's a completely different story

Poll should have remained

#49 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,042 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:10

Don't worry about the back lash.

Some articles are turning to ****, but you're not the one doing that. Some of the stuff John writes is pure **** though.

#50 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:11

If you use the proper Browser you can quote it.

#51 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,089 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:13

It's flamebait because of the wording, the lack of serious options and the lack of any useful context and explanation.

Its flame bait because people cannot respond intelligently and voice opinions that are insulting and filled with way to much emotion.

#52 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:13

It makes me laugh, members defend free speech, the right to carry arms, etc etc, but the second Apple is in danger of being knocked off their high horse it's a completely different story

Poll should have remained

Yes it should have an maybe people do not like Apple due to the company's attitude that we are better than everyone else.

#53 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:15

Its flame bait because people cannot respond intelligently and voice opinions that are insulting and filled with way to much emotion.

Agreed. The poll is the cause and the responses are the effect.

#54 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:16

If you use the proper Browser you can quote it.

Spoiler

And.... back on topic as I don't intend to derail the thread...

#55 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:17

I WILL be linked to members who might have left just due to that front page poll and hence I'll throw in my hat into this thread.

I did not leave due to the poll, but the way staff came across in this instance (granted this thread was actually a shining example of how to react to such things, no sarcasm) and a bunch more, also due to front page news quality in general and the community (partly).

I've long been thinking about leaving and today's discussion actually brought up those thoughts again on a Sunday with not much to do so I took my time to think about it and I'm not leaving without shedding a tear, because this community can be so much much more than what it sadly can also be.

I'm not going to a community I don't feel welcome at anymore, so I'm packing my stuff and leave.

I might come back again sometime, but as things stand now, I won't.

I've also received a great response by Barney, probably one of the best staff members around and he's sad to see me go.
I've noticed those who said they are happy to see me go and those who are not happy about it.

I hope Neowin gets back on track again, 2 years ago this was still a glorious place and I wouldn't have thought about leaving.
I really enjoyed my stay and maybe one day I'll come back, until then I'm going to invest the time into offline life.

Glassed Silver:mac

You will be missed especially in The Firefox section.

#56 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,089 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:17

Agreed. The poll is the cause and the responses are the effect.

Cause is unintelligent immature people posting and the effect is a flame war. Should be able to post whatever without it turning into a battle.

#57 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:32

No. Cause is how people word their topics. How people respond is the effect. If someone words a topic considerately, there usually aren't any flame wars. At least not until the resident trolls get a whiff of it. Of which there are a lot here.

#58 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:34

I'd find this 'apology' more sincere if this hadn't been posted: http://www.neowin.ne...tuses/id/71530/

The OP reeks of "I'm only saying sorry because I was told to."

#59 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:35

Exactly. We have too many fanboys here for any intelligent responses. I've stop even trying. I sure am glad I missed it all.

#60 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,567 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 00:35

I'd find this 'apology' more sincere if this hadn't been posted: http://www.neowin.ne...tuses/id/71530/

The OP reeks of "I'm only saying sorry because I was told to."

Trust me, I can tell you that wasn't the case.
He apologised simply because it caused such a problem. I don't even really think he needed to at all, but he felt he did, so he did.