Question

Posted

Hi there.

I have two monitors. My main one connected through HDMI and my second one is connected through DVI. When I boot up my PC the second monitor comes on first but the main one won't come on until the Windows 8 lock screen shows up. Is there anyway to make my primary monitor come one from the very start?

10 answers to this question

Posted

[quote name='Dunkleybwoy' timestamp='1359352001' post='595484624']
Hi there.

I have two monitors. My main one connected through HDMI and my second one is connected through DVI. When I boot up my PC the second monitor comes on first but the main one won't come on until the Windows 8 lock screen shows up. Is there anyway to make my primary monitor come one from the very start?
[/quote]

It probably has to do with the HDCP in HDMI. I've got the nvidia optimus setup on my laptop and it won't display on the DVI or DisplayPort until the OS screen, the third monitor which is hooked up VGA displays all bios, etc.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Tech Greek' timestamp='1359358635' post='595484686']
It probably has to do with the HDCP in HDMI. I've got the nvidia optimus setup on my laptop and it won't display on the DVI or DisplayPort until the OS screen, the third monitor which is hooked up VGA displays all bios, etc.
[/quote]So basically I'm screwed? lol

Posted

[quote name='Dunkleybwoy' timestamp='1359359810' post='595484696']
So basically I'm screwed? lol
[/quote]

Pretty Much :woot:

Generally speaking most bios will only post to one screen regardless (if it does two, it's usually a clone only)

Posted

I have a similar problem. Only difference is, if I have to get the main display to switch on, I have to wait for Windows 8 to boot fully, then put it to sleep, and immediately wake it up. If I don't do the sleep / wake routine, my primary display remains blank!! :wacko:

This never happened with Windows 7 though.

Posted

[quote name='The Dark Knight' timestamp='1359363476' post='595484746']
I have a similar problem. Only difference is, if I have to get the main display to switch on, I have to wait for Windows 8 to boot fully, then put it to sleep, and immediately wake it up. If I don't do the sleep / wake routine, my primary display remains blank!! :wacko:

This never happened with Windows 7 though.
[/quote]

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/htpc-hdmi-win7-and-its-many-issues.109242/

Posted

[quote name='Tech Greek' timestamp='1359371727' post='595484892']
[url="http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/htpc-hdmi-win7-and-its-many-issues.109242/"]http://forum.team-me...-issues.109242/[/url]
[/quote]

But I am not using HDMI. Neither is my secondary display a TV. Using a laptop and a secondary monitor connected to the VGA port.

Posted

[quote name='The Dark Knight' timestamp='1359373657' post='595484928']
But I am not using HDMI. Neither is my secondary display a TV. Using a laptop and a secondary monitor connected to the VGA port.
[/quote]

They've got a link to the VGA pin to pull as well, I believe it's PIN 12. It's a common issue I see all the time

Posted

GPU has to pick a [size="3"]display thats connected....anyway when windows is booted up the display you want comes on just not for the BIOS stuff. [/size]

Posted

@OP - Get a DVI to HDMI converter and a HDMI to DVI converter and you can swap the cables around...

Posted

[quote name='Tech Greek' timestamp='1359385257' post='595485274']
They've got a link to the VGA pin to pull as well, I believe it's PIN 12. It's a common issue I see all the time
[/quote]

Oh ok, thanks! :)