Missile launcher shows up at Seattle gun buyback

SEATTLE (AP) ? Seattle police worked with Army officials Monday to track down the history of a nonfunctional missile launcher that showed up at a weapons buyback program and determine whether it was legal or possibly stolen from the military.

A man standing outside the event Saturday bought the military weapon for $100 from another person there, according to Detective Mark Jamieson.

The single-use device is a launch tube assembly for a Stinger portable surface-to-air missile and already had been used. As a controlled military item, it is not available to civilians through any surplus or disposal program offered by the government, according to Jamieson.

Seattle police have contacted Army officials at Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma to deputy chief Nick Metz said Monday.

"Once it's brought on base and investigators have a chance to look at it, they'll see what they can determine," Army spokesman Joe Kubistek said Monday. "It's too early to give any information on it until we have hands-on access to see it and take a look at it."

Police witnessed the private exchange of the military launch tube near the gun buyback event, where gun buyers tempted those standing in long lines to turn in their weapons with cash.

"It was absolutely crazy what we saw out there," Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference Monday where officials announced they had collected a total of 716 weapons, including four confirmed as stolen.

more

The joke is on the police, a lot of these buy backs are used by gun owners to sell their junked guns so they can buy more guns. If one of my firearms breaks to the point I cant fix it, id give it to them.

• Like 2

I went to a Louisiana state auction a few years ago... they were auctioning off an item listed as a "missile guidance system". The auctioneer laughed and said whoever wins is going to be followed home.

• Like 2

I went to a military surplus auction and saw a couple of guidance systems for sale

If you are close to any Military base, go to a DRMO sale, you can find all kinds of interesting and weird items for sale

^ There are 2 churches, plus a town hall bell, about 15 to 30 seconds out of sync.

Operates 24/7, plus quarterly chimes.

You can imagine what happens when it strikes 12 ... :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

^ There are 2 churches, plus a town hall bell, about 15 to 30 seconds out of sync.

Well, at least you know what time it is... give or take 15 to 30 seconds :p

Psh, used to live half a block from a Catholic church, and across the street from it we had our local volunteer fire house, the Church bells would thankfully cut off from ~11 pm to 5 am, but the firehouse would sound the alarm any time there was a call to get the volunteers to come in. The first few weeks living there were hell trying to sleep, now I can sleep through anything, I've fallen asleep on a demo range once :)

The joke is on the police, a lot of these buy backs are used by gun owners to sell their junked guns so they can buy more guns. If one of my firearms breaks to the point I cant fix it, id give it to them.

No, the joke's on the people selling. They don't give you anywhere near the amount that you could potentially get from selling it elsewhere. Hell, you could make money just buying guns from people in line and reselling on something like gunbroker.