Photo

Windows 8 random slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:14

That's what I'm thinking too. Windows should have installed an update that somehow messed with something else.

Right now I'm having the slowdown. Deleting two folders with a few files each took almost 2 minutes. I have task manager, resource monitor opened and nothing peaks or seems wrong. Every other program behaves normally if it is open. If I launch a program, it will take a few minutes to open and work slow.

I will take a look at the Microsoft Answers forum and see if someone has already reported this. I'm almost sure that an update is the culprit.

I ran sfc /scannow and it found no integrity problems

I wondered if it was an AV but then realised I only have default Win 8 defence running, no 3rd party,

Feels like something is deeply scanning the files before giving you access right :?

#17 Kenneth Graulund

Kenneth Graulund

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:30

I notice that everyone in this thread having the issue is using an SSD, so unless the adoption rate for SSD's have skyrocketed, that seems to be connected to the issue.

I have 3 different SSD's in my machine, all different brand, but no issues like what you mention... but i researched a little, and it seems that while Defrag was disabled on Windows 7 when you have an SSD, this has now changed in Windows 8.
The defrag in Windows 8 on SSD's is different from what you usually understand about Defrag, it will send TRIM commands to the SSD to clear out deleted data.

You can read more about it here : http://social.techne...5-437d5e212c9c/

I wonder if these TRIM commands is somehow causing issues, maybe bad firmware in your SSD ?, maybe compare SSD models and check for newer firmware on the vendors website ?.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:32

I notice that everyone in this thread having the issue is using an SSD,

Normal physical SATA here

#19 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:11

I notice that everyone in this thread having the issue is using an SSD, so unless the adoption rate for SSD's have skyrocketed, that seems to be connected to the issue.

I have other Win8 Pro computers with an SSD and only my desktop is having this problem. SMART attributes (checked with 3 different apps) show health at 100%. RAM tests show no problems.

Four days ago was Patch Tuesday. That's when I started seeing this behavior.

The first time, it would take almost 24 hours to experience the slowdown. Today I've suffer it 3 times already.

#20 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:48

Hey guys. Could you post an Event Viewer log for us? What computing patterns have changed over the last few days? Have you started using more multimedia orientated applications?

One fix that I apply that works is to hit up CMD/PS as an admin and type

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Other than that ensure you are on the latest updates and keep checking the event log!