• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:41

when the first Mac came out it was a wow

And remember the Mac's tagline? "The Computer for the rest of us" ? It wasn't the techies among us who the Mac was trying to wow...the iPad and such devices today are only a logical extension of that. And certainly today, techies are not who the market caters to anymore. Which doesn't mean that there aren't exciting areas and diy projects to work on, play and tinker with for hobbyists, but it simply isn't the mainstream anymore, which imo is actually a very good thing. And in the end, someone still has to program all those wonderful new easy to use devices.

#47 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,148 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:43

I laugh at today's youth who think they "know" computing simply because they know how to run a few apps or navigate their way around a dumbed down OS. Yet, ask them a networking question or ask them to code something and they are at a complete loss.

I abhor coding. I won't go near it with an infinite foot pole. You can keep it.

#48 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,674 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:58

for me, the magic was to creates a working program in assembly languages,
it was common during Dos era,
dwindling in x86 windows era,
almost disapears in current 64-bit OS.

"what ###### is that", its the common response when I tried to preach about assembly to 64-bit masses.

Ah assembly.... I remember in comp sci when people took assembly they thought it was "an out dated dead language"..... yeah the closest thing to machine code is dead.... wish people would realize what complining and linking is actually doing... and that assembly can get you stuff done much faster then some of the predesigned libraries and functions... hence why we have __asm in C++ and similar things in some other languages...

And remember the Mac's tagline? "The Computer for the rest of us" ? It wasn't the techies among us who the Mac was trying to wow...the iPad and such devices today are only a logical extension of that. And certainly today, techies are not who the market caters to anymore. Which doesn't mean that there aren't exciting areas and diy projects to work on, play and tinker with for hobbyists, but it simply isn't the mainstream anymore, which imo is actually a very good thing. And in the end, someone still has to program all those wonderful new easy to use devices.

yeah but it was something new and different... it had a GUI based OS which was not common, hence the wow factor..... wow != dumbing down, it means something new that hasn't been widely done before..... iPhone wasn't a "wow" because smart phones existed before it.... iPad wasn't a wow, because honestly it was just a bigger iPhone.... iPod wasn't a wow, because there was hundreds of MP3 players before it.....

iMac Mini was kinda a wow because it was so small and compressed.... Touch screens where kinda a wow factor because average users couldn't afford them or have a use for them until recently... Bluray should of been a wow but the internet ruined that.... because there was no high def high fidelity storage method... internet still can't match 1:1 blu-ray quality streaming.... TiVo was a wow because DVR was a new idea

#49 aludanyi

aludanyi

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

• 300 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:00

I abhor coding. I won't go near it with an infinite foot pole. You can keep it.

LoL... you say that only because you can't have it, not in a million years. If you are capable to construct software, there is no such force in the Universe which is able to prevent you from doing it, it is the ultimate pleasure for the mind.If you aren't capable, then you hate it, or abhor it as you say, and you want to run away from it as fast as you can as far as possible. I guess, there can't be magic without wizards... :)

#50 Northgrove

Northgrove

Philosophizing Developer

• 9,870 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:07

there just isn't any good hype anymore... and not I'm not talking about Apples hype machine...... I'm talking about tech that people think wow that is awesome and never done before... when the first Mac came out it was a wow... when the first smart phone (it was an IBM device in 1992 called the Simon, and no it was not the Apple newton which came out in 1993) came out way way back it was a wow... first tablet in the late 90's...

The last time I felt that was during the Google Glass demo when he skydived and broadcast it live, then entered the stage after having just skydived. Along with the concept video. I can't wait for Google Glass to become a mainstream product! I can imagine people at beaches can, though. Haha!

#51 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:10

The magic dissappeared when industry decided that everything that gets money in the short run was better than risking into something innovative, a clear example of this is microsoft, they were VERY innovative on their beginnings, even getting products like tablet-pcs before apple could claim that they invented the Ipad, but their main product, Windows, that was one hell of innovation on it's beginnings... until windows 8. see it like this, microsoft saw a lot of short term money with the rapid growing game industry... they entered it by "force" using a lot of money, thus xbox was created (compared to what sony and nintendo did to enter the gaming scene... microsoft is a joke that only involves money) then, microsoft saw again money in the handheld touch devices, and there goes windows, sadly because instead of innovating another way to use the OS, they decided to go with something proven to give money on the short term, like android tablets and Ipads.

This is how magic ends, when money in short term is sought no matter which means are used.

P.D. Lol @ Dot Matrix, it's ok not to know how to code but to abhor it? man... this guy knows very little of the "computer world"

#52 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,258 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:37

You're just getting old, bro. That's about it.

#53 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,394 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:00

For me the magic hasn't gone but rather things have improved to such a stage that we can focus on enjoying the end result rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. Over the last 13 years we've moved to UEFI, a video subsystem that has resulted in a BSOD being a surprise rather than something to be expected, the operating system itself has become a means to an end rather than a major focal point, the number of ports having been reduced down to 2-3 main types on computers these days and a cleaner design orientated around the PCI architecture rather than the weird proprietary and hacks (AGP) that existed in the past. IMHO I'd sooner have today than the, at times, hellish nightmare that existed in the past.

#54 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,674 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:15

For me the magic hasn't gone but rather things have improved to such a stage that we can focus on enjoying the end result rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. Over the last 13 years we've moved to UEFI, a video subsystem that has resulted in a BSOD being a surprise rather than something to be expected, the operating system itself has become a means to an end rather than a major focal point, the number of ports having been reduced down to 2-3 main types on computers these days and a cleaner design orientated around the PCI architecture rather than the weird proprietary and hacks (AGP) that existed in the past. IMHO I'd sooner have today than the, at times, hellish nightmare that existed in the past.

more like over the past few years we STARTED to move to UEFI, and finally pushing it harder with windows 8 / OSX..... and video problems are still there, right now it's more of does your card even support GOP... if not, tough buy another that does......

#55 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,148 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 January 2013 - 17:47

P.D. Lol @ Dot Matrix, it's ok not to know how to code but to abhor it? man... this guy knows very little of the "computer world"

I know coding. I just don't want anything to do with it.

Coding is not a measure of anything.

#56 tim_s

tim_s

• 340 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:41

Interesting story only marginally on topic but it serves as a reference to where the market lays and how confident consumers are with purchases.

An employee received a promotion in the IT department based on excellent performance and the company wanted to thank him by upgrading his machine. As this was suppose to be a surprise the purchasing of the new machine was handled outside of the department.

So every came to congratulate the new promotion and the promoted employee and the new Windows 8 machine was on his desk. He opened the machine but it was abandoned on the floor and the employee remained using the original machine.

The HR lady said, "Why are you not using your new machine?" Promoted Employee replied, "Although your new machine costs more and is newer, this machine is a consumer machine focusing on graphics etc. where my machine is focusing on speed for compiling etc."

'Til this day - people are still shocked that something at Best Buy did not meet this persons needs.

#57 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,312 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:47

Interesting story...

It might be only marginally on topic, but I liked it! (Y)

#58 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:48

The magic started dying when they started dumbing everything so that grandma could use it.

ya, stupid companies wanting everyone to enjoy the computer.

#59 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:59

I think the magic is only gone because people take everything for granted too much. Because everyone has so much technology too, you find way more people using it that barely know how to use it properly. It feels like a waste sometimes :huh:

Go back and watch some episodes of tomorrows world. The presenters would have wet their pants to see what we actually have now :woot:

#60 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• 1,284 posts
  • Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:32

Ahh. The good old days.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!