Is the magic really gone?

The magic dissappeared when industry decided that everything that gets money in the short run was better than risking into something innovative, a clear example of this is microsoft, they were VERY innovative on their beginnings, even getting products like tablet-pcs before apple could claim that they invented the Ipad, but their main product, Windows, that was one hell of innovation on it's beginnings... until windows 8. see it like this, microsoft saw a lot of short term money with the rapid growing game industry... they entered it by "force" using a lot of money, thus xbox was created (compared to what sony and nintendo did to enter the gaming scene... microsoft is a joke that only involves money) then, microsoft saw again money in the handheld touch devices, and there goes windows, sadly because instead of innovating another way to use the OS, they decided to go with something proven to give money on the short term, like android tablets and Ipads.

This is how magic ends, when money in short term is sought no matter which means are used.

P.D. Lol @ Dot Matrix, it's ok not to know how to code but to abhor it? man... this guy knows very little of the "computer world"

For me the magic hasn't gone but rather things have improved to such a stage that we can focus on enjoying the end result rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. Over the last 13 years we've moved to UEFI, a video subsystem that has resulted in a BSOD being a surprise rather than something to be expected, the operating system itself has become a means to an end rather than a major focal point, the number of ports having been reduced down to 2-3 main types on computers these days and a cleaner design orientated around the PCI architecture rather than the weird proprietary and hacks (AGP) that existed in the past. IMHO I'd sooner have today than the, at times, hellish nightmare that existed in the past.

For me the magic hasn't gone but rather things have improved to such a stage that we can focus on enjoying the end result rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. Over the last 13 years we've moved to UEFI, a video subsystem that has resulted in a BSOD being a surprise rather than something to be expected, the operating system itself has become a means to an end rather than a major focal point, the number of ports having been reduced down to 2-3 main types on computers these days and a cleaner design orientated around the PCI architecture rather than the weird proprietary and hacks (AGP) that existed in the past. IMHO I'd sooner have today than the, at times, hellish nightmare that existed in the past.

more like over the past few years we STARTED to move to UEFI, and finally pushing it harder with windows 8 / OSX..... and video problems are still there, right now it's more of does your card even support GOP... if not, tough buy another that does......

P.D. Lol @ Dot Matrix, it's ok not to know how to code but to abhor it? man... this guy knows very little of the "computer world"

I know coding. I just don't want anything to do with it.

Coding is not a measure of anything.

Interesting story only marginally on topic but it serves as a reference to where the market lays and how confident consumers are with purchases.

An employee received a promotion in the IT department based on excellent performance and the company wanted to thank him by upgrading his machine. As this was suppose to be a surprise the purchasing of the new machine was handled outside of the department.

So every came to congratulate the new promotion and the promoted employee and the new Windows 8 machine was on his desk. He opened the machine but it was abandoned on the floor and the employee remained using the original machine.

The HR lady said, "Why are you not using your new machine?" Promoted Employee replied, "Although your new machine costs more and is newer, this machine is a consumer machine focusing on graphics etc. where my machine is focusing on speed for compiling etc."

'Til this day - people are still shocked that something at Best Buy did not meet this persons needs.

The magic started dying when they started dumbing everything so that grandma could use it.

ya, stupid companies wanting everyone to enjoy the computer.

I think the magic is only gone because people take everything for granted too much. Because everyone has so much technology too, you find way more people using it that barely know how to use it properly. It feels like a waste sometimes :huh:

Go back and watch some episodes of tomorrows world. The presenters would have wet their pants to see what we actually have now :woot: