Apple to Sell 128GB iPad Starting Feb. 5

Nevertheless, they keep increasing the price and not bringing anything new.

They can't afford to make existing iPads (or iPods) with smaller storage capacities obsolete - which is EXACTLY what would happen if they increased storage capacities without increasing prices, which they could certainly do. (Look at pricing for both thumb drives and SSDs, the computer peripherals which are the mainstream users of flash memory - haven't both fallen to nearly magnetic-media pricing levels as of late?) If they did that, the EXISTING userbase would - understandably - scream bloody blue murder. However, they don't really HAVE anything else they can add to justify raising prices. Therefore, Apple - in this instance - is basically trapped.

The Pro will be running full Win8 and will have USB access. So I dont see why I couldnt go to Verizon and get a USB adapter to have internet wherever I go. Granted, its a little different...but the outcome is the same.

And VZW *has* USB dongles that enable both laptops AND notebooks (or even a desktop, if you have a mind to) to use their network - I've set them up. (On Windows *Vista* x64 Home Premium - so why WOULDN'T such a device work on Windows 7, let alone 8?).

The issue comes down to device support by the operating system in question - nothing else. (Please - how many of you use *portable* wireless devices with desktops, as I've said flat-out I do? I'm the same guy that uses a Logitech V220 Wireless Mouse - the one that actually has "for Notebooks" on the packaging - on his desktop. My cousin the MD uses the SAME mouse on her ASUS Transformer Prime - which runs Android, not even WindowsRT, let alone 8.) Quibbling at best.

Look at pricing for both thumb drives and SSDs, the computer peripherals which are the mainstream users of flash memory - haven't both fallen to nearly magnetic-media pricing levels as of late?

Not really.

Not really.

Then you haven't been watching prices as of late - especially SSD prices after Thanksgiving.

128GB and larger SSDs are now under $1.00/GB (either online or retail) - a price unheard-of before then.

512GB SSDs are appearing in the non-enterprise space for the first time.

16GB thumb drives (pretty much invariably supporting USB 3.0) are under $10USD.

I don't exactly live in a hotbed of low prices (if anything, greater Washington, DC is known for being a hotbed of bureaucracy and shopping on the taxpayer dime) - and I see such pricing on a daily basis.

Look at pricing for both thumb drives and SSDs, the computer peripherals which are the mainstream users of flash memory - haven't both fallen to nearly magnetic-media pricing levels as of late?

128GB and larger SSDs are now under $1.00/GB (either online or retail)

Which is still about ten times as much as the price for magnetic storage?!

Yeah they are pricey. A $1000 for a tablet is a bit ridiculous.

Sadly people will pay it though, stick an ASUS / MS / HP etc etc sticker on the side an no-one would touch it

Which is still about ten times as much as the price for magnetic storage?!

That is only because magnetic media pricing has also fallen; flash media pricing on a per-gigabyte basing IS where magnetic media was five years ago.

And why is magnetic media a minus (despite cheap pricing) in anything portable (not merely tablets, but even notebooks)? Bulk, energy use, lack of speed - need I go on?

Apple should start giving out free lube at their stores. It is only courteous to do so when they make you take it up the ass at their pricing.

Free lube? Free?

Heck no, pony up $29.99 for that.

*sigh* The 16GB model shouldn't even exist, certainly not at that price point. :/ Why must Apple always be so skimpy when it comes to storage or RAM ? :angry:

How else will they milk the "fans" if they do that? ;)

The $1k model has cellular, so you can't compare it's price to the Pro which doesn't have it.

Everyone compared the Pro's available space to iPad which uses a primitive OS compared to Surface Pro but now that Surface has advantage why not compare it with iPad?

Compared to iPad4:

- Surface Pro has 4 times the ram (1GB vs 4GB)

- Surface Pro has Pen-input + 10point multi-touch

- Surface Pro has a better connectivity than iPad (except cellular as you mentioned)

- Surface Pro has arguably better GPU given that it can drive two screens.

- Last but not the least: Surface Pro has a Core ****ing i7 in it!

So given all of this, I don't think iPad having a cellular antenna in it makes much of a difference in terms of price. It only reinforces the fact that it is horribly overpriced.

Everyone compared the Pro's available space to iPad which uses a primitive OS compared to Surface Pro but now that Surface has advantage why not compare it with iPad?

Compared to iPad4:

- Surface Pro has 4 times the ram (1GB vs 4GB)

- Surface Pro has Pen-input + 10point multi-touch

- Surface Pro has a better connectivity than iPad (except cellular as you mentioned)

- Surface Pro has arguably better GPU given that it can drive two screens.

- Last but not the least: Surface Pro has a Core ****ing i7 in it!

So given all of this, I don't think iPad having a cellular antenna in it makes much of a difference in terms of price. It only reinforces the fact that it is horribly overpriced.

ipad probably trumps it in battery life though

ipad probably trumps it in battery life though

Not going to matter much if you are going to use that cellular antenna :p