looking for laptop wifi hotspot software

Question

There seems to be plenty of small programs that can turn your laptop into wifi hotspot for your mobile devices. Most of them worked but I am not sure which one to use as they are made by some small unheard of companies.

By the way, I have tried the built in one in windows 7 but it does not work for me no matter how I configure it.

11 answers to this question

Most of them worked but I am not sure which one to use as they are made by some small unheard of companies.

So? Just pick one that works lol

Thanks Mr Obvious. I always hate people that like to post without any contribution. I just want to hear other's opinion. This is like the browser or antivirus software. Sure alot of them work but which is the software that people use and why.

sc302, I have already been to that website and follow the technique step by step. However the wifi hotspot created does not show up on my mobile devices.

The software you provided works but crashes after 3 min of running. It also bundle with freeware that I need to be careful not to click during installation. This is exactly my point above.

I like the built-in myself, where did you get stuck? (Surprised they removed that feature in Win8, it is finicky depending on your chipset)

connectify.me is probably one of the more compatible ones but its not free. Danusoft's is good too (try the beta2).

Those instructions are for ADHOC network - which no most devices wont see unless you tell them too.. Its not the normal infrastructure type of network that AP would be.

As to built in software? What are you talking about - there is no built into the OS wireless hotspot software.. Now depending on your wireless card you could have some software included from the maker of the card or the OEM.. Like wifi dashboard from intel

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/imwd/sb/CS-033754.htm

So details of your wireless card and what type of connection your trying to share - be it another wireless network, a cell connection, wired connection, etc.

I don't see a reason for this unless your laptop has a cell or say a wifi max connection so you could say leverage that connection for you with other portable devices, ipads, cell phones, ipods, etc..

if your in your home and your trying to share a wired connection - GO BUY a $20 wireless router and set it up as AP. I carry a old FON router that I hacked and put dd-wrt on for this purpose, say hotel or something that only has wired access.

But sure we can help you - but we need some DETAILS to work with.. But again those instructions at life hacker are for ad-hoc network, and unless you set your other devices to connect to adhoc they most likely will not see that network.

Thanks Dashel and Budman. I have connectify ages ago on another laptop. It is good so I might give it another try.

By built in software, I meant windows Network and Sharing Center. Now I know why my device can not find the hotspot I created. My laptop has a intel centrino 1030 so I think I can install Intel Dashboard.

Yes I am at home sharing a wired connection. A wireless router is probably better but if I can do it from my laptop, it saves money and one less stuff to plug to the wall.

And it ###### with your laptops connectivity and is only available if your laptop is ON and not in standby... How much power does your laptop draw? wireless router draws what 5 watts tops. In a few months the difference in power cost of having to leave your laptop on for wireless and extra power that requires prob pay for the router.

If what you want to do is add wireless to your home - go buy a wireless router! Why is your normal router not wireless in the first place?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704037

This one has 200+ reviews with 4 stars for $19 and free shipping to your door.. There are like 36 of them under $25... Do what your doing is just pointless! Get yourself wireless router if you want to add wireless network.. So if you leave with your laptop nobody else in the home can use wireless.

Your going to dick with software and run it on your laptop for what the cost of a couple of beers?

huh? Wi-Fi "inspector"

Where does it say it can be a "HOT SPOT"? Or allow laptop to act as AP?

The Wi-Fi Inspector can be used for a number of practical applications, including:

? Searching for Wi-Fi networks

? Troubleshooting Wi-Fi connectivity issues

? Verifying Wi-Fi coverage (site survey)

? Managing a laptop?s Wi-Fi connection

? Locating Wi-Fi devices

? Detecting rogue APs

? Verifying AP settings

? Aiming Wi-Fi antennas

? Wi-Fi Education