Plus Points: Sony's PS Plus humiliates the game industry

This is quite an insightful read. I didn't know much about PS+ as I do now, and given what I've learned, I may just sway towards a PS4 in the decision of whether to go with Microsoft or Sony in the next-gen battle.

So PS+ is sony's version of Gamefly (somewhat)? :/ Am I missing the point here? I get the issues the author have with XBLGold but not really sure why PS+ is humiliating the gaming industry.

(I don't own PS3 and have no intention to buy it so all I know about it is from reading the posts here.)

So PS+ is sony's version of Gamefly (somewhat)? :/ Am I missing the point here? I get the issues the author have with XBLGold but not really sure why PS+ is humiliating the gaming industry.

(I don't own PS3 and have no intention to buy it so all I know about it is from reading the posts here.)

PS+ is more like a "premium" club type thing. You pay a monthly/yearly fee, and for that little fee, each month they put up "specials" that you get. Those specials normally range from "free" games , discounts on new games or dlc, and exclusive acess to demos/beta/ or 1 hour trials of full games.

As long as you have the membership, you can always play the free games. Once the membership expires though, those free games are locked.

The neat thing as mentioned though, is you don't have to download the games right away. Just add them to your cart and check out before you leave the store. The games will stay in your download library, free for you to download whenever you want, even if they remove the games from the special/list.

They have been releasing though some really good titles for free, such as Infamous 2, Street Fighter 4, Little Big Planet 2, Saints Row 2, and tons of others.

There is also the benefit of 1gb of cloud storage, auto updates for games and system, and a few extra nifty little goodies.

So this past week I had to take a business trip to San Jose, California. 4 planes total with transfers, and 3 nights to fill my time.

Of course I brought my Vita with me, and just wanted to say I finally gave Uncharted Golden Abyss a proper sitting, and I am very glad I chose to do so. It is much better than I thought it was going to be. I share this as the one and only reason I got to check it out was thanks to + releasing it for free for subscribers. So a pretty good real world example of + in action, and why it pays for itself almost instantly.

So this past week I had to take a business trip to San Jose, California. 4 planes total with transfers, and 3 nights to fill my time.

Of course I brought my Vita with me, and just wanted to say I finally gave Uncharted Golden Abyss a proper sitting, and I am very glad I chose to do so. It is much better than I thought it was going to be. I share this as the one and only reason I got to check it out was thanks to + releasing it for free for subscribers. So a pretty good real world example of + in action, and why it pays for itself almost instantly.

Uncharted is def the best game on Vita at the moment. I still cant believe it's available for 'free' on PS+

I think you should start the downloads of content you don't think you'll want because if you don't and those games get taken down and new ones put up you can re-downlaod them from your download list.

I already have and beat Bioshock 2, but I already started the download and cancelled it just in case in the future I do want to download it for some reason.

for what reason? :laugh:

in the case of Bioshock 2 - i already own it (and beat it) for PC so why would i ever want to download it on PS3? If i ever want to play the game again i'll just install it on my PC again.

for what reason? :laugh:

in the case of Bioshock 2 - i already own it (and beat it) for PC so why would i ever want to download it on PS3? If i ever want to play the game again i'll just install it on my PC again.

:p IDK a reason might come up in the future. :laugh:

Compare this to Microsoft, a company struggling more and more to justify its subscription service with a straight face. The Xbox 360 owner has systematically worked to hold its content to ransom in an increasingly futile bid to make Xbox Live Gold look worth its fee. The biggest feature is, of course, online play -- something available for free on PS3, Wii U, and PC. The company took something that was already a given, and held it back.

It's done this with practically every feature on Xbox Live Gold. Netflix, Amazon Video, and (before retirement) social apps like Twitter and Facebook all require Gold subscriptions to use, despite these items being freely available on almost every electronic device on the market. Hell, my television can access Netflix, Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, and a Web browser, and they're all better than the Xbox 360 versions -- they browse faster, they stream more consistently, and their search functions blow the 360's pathetic offerings out of the water.

this guy has never used XBOX Live. If he did he would know why XBOX Live costs money,and why Microsoft makes at least a billion dollars a year from subcribtions.

The apps on the XBOX absolutely destroy the PS3 ones. Go download NHL Gamecenter,MLB, UFC, whatever. The ps3 ones look absolutely **** and the quality of the video is horrible. The ps3 apps take forever to come out and get updates. The browser in the PS3 is an absolute joke.

Its kinda sad that Sony has to give thousands of dollars worth of stuff for free to get people to sign up. Yet Microsoft doesn't have to do anything like that because its service speaks for itself.

this guy has never used XBOX Live. If he did he would know why XBOX Live costs money,and why Microsoft makes at least a billion dollars a year from subcribtions.

The apps on the XBOX absolutely destroy the PS3 ones. Go download NHL Gamecenter,MLB, UFC, whatever. The ps3 ones look absolutely **** and the quality of the video is horrible. The ps3 apps take forever to come out and get updates. The browser in the PS3 is an absolute joke.

Its kinda sad that Sony has to give thousands of dollars worth of stuff for free to get people to sign up. Yet Microsoft doesn't have to do anything like that because its service speaks for itself.

Yes. Jim Sterling has never used Xbox Live.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

• Like 1

It seems we no longer have to go through the checkout with free items, they start downloading immediately on the store.

A long awaited but necessary fix.

It seems we no longer have to go through the checkout with free items, they start downloading immediately on the store.

A long awaited but necessary fix.

interesting! i would def like this feature.

Xbox 360 had a full year headstart over PS3, it could afford to charge people for Live, if they launched side by side I think the numbers would have been a lot different.

Most people use their games console, to.........um...............play games.

Have you even used the PS3 browser lately?

It got a MASSIVE update recently, at least its a FREE feature of the PS3, you have to have a Gold subscription just to use IE10.

Now that I'm working almost full time (thank goodness!!!! SUCH a relief!), I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a year's sub to PlayStation Plus. I really like what I've read about it and would love to check it out! I know it's not a waste of money.

I know I shared it earlier, but especially since I am now on Chapter 17 of the game, DAMN, what a brilliant game Uncharted Golden Abyss truly is. It is almost as good as the console version, and that is a huge compliment for me to pay, as Uncharted is possibly my favorite series of this current (almost past) generation of consoles. I enjoy it that much.

So honestly, if there happens to be any Vita owners like myself, who for whatever reason slept on Uncharted Golder Abyss, + pretty much pays for itself right there considering you get to play this game being a + subscriber.

And with Golden Abyss, the key is to get past the first 5-10 chapters. You get no idea how good the game actually is until you get to about Chapter 10. I was shocked to also find out the game has 34 Chapters!! It is for all intents and purposes a console game on a handheld device, which is the exact reason I picked up the Vita myself.

It really is quite disheartening how poor the Vita has done overall. It is a brilliant little handheld, I do think it is the best dedicated handheld gaming device, by far actually, so just hope an eventual price drop or something really helps it get a second life.

Also hoping they really do not give up on it and somehow make it a nice experience with the PS4 as well.

I know I shared it earlier, but especially since I am now on Chapter 17 of the game, DAMN, what a brilliant game Uncharted Golden Abyss truly is. It is almost as good as the console version, and that is a huge compliment for me to pay, as Uncharted is possibly my favorite series of this current (almost past) generation of consoles. I enjoy it that much.

So honestly, if there happens to be any Vita owners like myself, who for whatever reason slept on Uncharted Golder Abyss, + pretty much pays for itself right there considering you get to play this game being a + subscriber.

And with Golden Abyss, the key is to get past the first 5-10 chapters. You get no idea how good the game actually is until you get to about Chapter 10. I was shocked to also find out the game has 34 Chapters!! It is for all intents and purposes a console game on a handheld device, which is the exact reason I picked up the Vita myself.

It really is quite disheartening how poor the Vita has done overall. It is a brilliant little handheld, I do think it is the best dedicated handheld gaming device, by far actually, so just hope an eventual price drop or something really helps it get a second life.

Also hoping they really do not give up on it and somehow make it a nice experience with the PS4 as well.

Yeah, it's definitely a great game. Not as big fights as on the PS3 but that's understandable given the power difference.

Vita has some great games, but Sony has made some dumb decisions. One thing they really should have enforced was cross play gaming. If a game is on both the PS3 and Vita, they should be required to be online compatible. That is one thing I love about PS All Stars. I can play with my friends that have it on PS3 while I'm at the PC or in bed or whatever. Sega really missed the ball with the racing game that came out. It SHOULD have been cross play as it's a great game.

A price drop would really help. It simply cannot be the price it is when the PS4 launches.

I'm in the market to pickup a Vita again, scouting for a 3G one, future proof that way. There really is much more of a reason to have the Vita connected to the internet at all times versus the PSP.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Golden Abyss earlier this morning. It honestly is better than some full console titles i have played recently.

It has a few minor shortcomings, mainly the QTE's forced because of the touch controls of the Vita, but they were not even that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Really is a great little game. A must play for Vita owners if you are the rare Vita owner such as myself who did not check it out at launch.

I bought Golden Abyss at launch, really enjoyed it, wasn't a fan of the gestures but I think dragging your finger along ledges is a neat idea to traverse.

Proper console level experience/story, the gyro aiming made the controls passable. The collectables really added to the experience as well.

I bought Golden Abyss at launch, really enjoyed it, wasn't a fan of the gestures but I think dragging your finger along ledges is a neat idea to traverse.

Proper console level experience/story, the gyro aiming made the controls passable. The collectables really added to the experience as well.

I did not realize I did so until you mentioned it, but I actually did not use the gyro aiming, just went with analog aiming. I think I may have not enjoyed it as much as I did. Sticking to the analog sticks at least for me made it more of a proper experience. I also never used my fingers for traversing either. I guess I'm just a purist at heart. LOL

I just finished Golden Abyss earlier this morning. It honestly is better than some full console titles i have played recently.

It has a few minor shortcomings, mainly the QTE's forced because of the touch controls of the Vita, but they were not even that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Really is a great little game. A must play for Vita owners if you are the rare Vita owner such as myself who did not check it out at launch.

Uncharted is amazing on the Vita, I pick it up now and again as I go on the treasure hunts, would like to get the Platinum for it. Gyro aiming is actually REALLY good, you pick up the main aim using the sticks and you can do really small corrections with the gyro, works perfectly and I hope they use it in Killzone.

A price drop would really help. It simply cannot be the price it is when the PS4 launches.

I'm in the market to pickup a Vita again, scouting for a 3G one, future proof that way. There really is much more of a reason to have the Vita connected to the internet at all times versus the PSP.

It's been given a drop in Japan so would expect the other regions to get one soon too. Rumours of a 4G version as well with the 3G price dropping to the same as just WiFi on it's own.

It's been given a drop in Japan so would expect the other regions to get one soon too. Rumours of a 4G version as well with the 3G price dropping to the same as just WiFi on it's own.

Annoyingly, Sony have said they have no news on a price cut for us in the UK. :/ I'd buy a PS Vita in a heartbeat if they drop the price down to ?150 (either version; I don't care about 3G), thanks to PlayStation Plus, and the Cross-Play selling point on some games.

Love PS Plus. Been on it since day 1 and everything they do, and the services provided keep me coming back.

I subbed for PS+, but unsubbed because they kept giving me free games that I already beat long ago and long forgot about.

Having used both PSN And XBL there's no way you can with a straight face say PSN is better, you get what you pay for and that shows in the live gold service. Plus I work so $4 a month is nothing even if I don't play for a while.

Strange cause mostly there's free games that are just released often not more then a month before they are free. So you're either trolling or an idiot. Take your pick.

And XBL has some better things like the parties (it sucks in PSN) but thats about it. The rest PSN wasnt as good at in the first year or so. But recent years PSN is on par with XBL on almost everything.

And getting ~6 free PS3 and ~6 free Vita games every month (including NEW releases, let me refresh it for you) you wont run short of playing.

I myself 'purchase' most titles i find semi-interesting, you never know when i get very very bored :D

OT the addition of cross-platform games is amazing, XBL doesnt have this (well there's no Xbox handheld, but still :p)

Always enjoy a game of battle royale, dont need a stinking wii anymore to play smash brothers :D Playstation has its own version. And i autoanoy people by having the mic enabled by default every game :p (and the vita's mic is wayyyy to senstive, normal indoor voices are recorded up to 3-4meters away... insane)

Annoyingly, Sony have said they have no news on a price cut for us in the UK. :/ I'd buy a PS Vita in a heartbeat if they drop the price down to ?150 (either version; I don't care about 3G), thanks to PlayStation Plus, and the Cross-Play selling point on some games.

I think that something might be mentioned on the 20th. I've got the 3G and love it, it was only about ?15 more than the WiFi version at the time, and given that you got WipEout for free, it was pretty much a no brainer for me.