• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:28

I subbed for PS+, but unsubbed because they kept giving me free games that I already beat long ago and long forgot about.

Having used both PSN And XBL there's no way you can with a straight face say PSN is better, you get what you pay for and that shows in the live gold service. Plus I work so $4 a month is nothing even if I don't play for a while.

Actually this article is about +, and not the PSN, and what a great service + is for the money.

But if you want to talk about which service is the better FREE service, key word being free, not sure how you can say with a straight face the free version of Live is indeed better then the free version of the PSN. And I have been on each service since Day 1.

Yes, when you PAY for Live, it is a hell of a service, no one can dispute that fact with a straight face as you put it, but if you are just going to compare the free services both offer, then yeah, PSN is just as good as live, if not in fact much better.

And honestly a lot of the features people point out as to why Live is better, some people just do not care all that much about. Cross game chat for example. That is something that does not appeal to everyone or is a just have. So it really does very much come down to opinion and need at that point in time.

BOT, I like + alone just to the automatic updates and increased cloud storage. The free games are a great bonus. I just downloaded Ninja Gaiden Sigma on my Vita last night, a game I would have never checked out otherwise. I have also learned since becoming a + subscriber, to not necessarily purchase games right away anymore. Great example is The Unfinished Swan. I held off on getting it, and just was able to get it for $3 I think it was last week thanks to my + subscription, and I own it outright as well. So th discounts for being a + subscriber also pay off. I honestly think if anyone uses their PS3 on a somewhat frequent basis, + is a must have service at this point.

#17 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:30

Actually this article is about +, and not the PSN, and what a great service + is for the money.

I was going to reply to his with just, " Opinions are neat." But you always say it much more elegantly.

#18 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:45

But if you want to talk about which service is the better FREE service, key word being free, not sure how you can say with a straight face the free version of Live is indeed better then the free version of the PSN. And I have been on each service since Day 1.

Yes, when you PAY for Live, it is a hell of a service, no one can dispute that fact with a straight face as you put it, but if you are just going to compare the free services both offer, then yeah, PSN is just as good as live, if not in fact much better.

And honestly a lot of the features people point out as to why Live is better, some people just do not care all that much about. Cross game chat for example. That is something that does not appeal to everyone or is a just have. So it really does very much come down to opinion and need at that point in time.

BOT, I like + alone just to the automatic updates and increased cloud storage. The free games are a great bonus. I just downloaded Ninja Gaiden Sigma on my Vita last night, a game I would have never checked out otherwise. I have also learned since becoming a + subscriber, to not necessarily purchase games right away anymore. Great example is The Unfinished Swan. I held off on getting it, and just was able to get it for $3 I think it was last week thanks to my + subscription, and I own it outright as well. So th discounts for being a + subscriber also pay off. I honestly think if anyone uses their PS3 on a somewhat frequent basis, + is a must have service at this point.

Like I said I did have +, but everything I was given was either old and forgotten or had already on other systems. Cloud saves I already had on 360 and the + free games were games I finished and forgot about.

I was going to reply to his with just, " Opinions are neat." But you always say it much more elegantly.

Nowhere in my comment did I say no one should use + or that + sucked. No **** it was an opinion. Glad you were able to figure that out in just one line though congrats to you.

#19 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:55

Like I said I did have +, but everything I was given was either old and forgotten or had already on other systems. Cloud saves I already had on 360 and the + free games were games I finished and forgot about.

Nowhere in my comment did I say no one should use + or that + sucked. No **** it was an opinion. Glad you were able to figure that out in just one line though congrats to you.

oo hit a nerve. calm down man. no reason to get bent of out shape. Maybe if this topic brings rage to you, you shouldn't visit it....

#20 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:55

oo hit a nerve. calm down man. no reason to get bent of out shape. Maybe if this topic brings rage to you, you shouldn't visit it....

no rage here.

#21 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 30 January 2013 - 20:13

I can't comment on the value of PS Plus, but I can comment on th value of Xbox Live Gold vs PSN.

I believe part of the reason Live Gold has it's value and the cost behind it is, Microsoft does a lot of the server
management, on the PSN that's all left to the publisher, which is why you see far more server shutdowns than on XBL
there are exceptions, ones I think publishers like EA and 2k are abusing and MS needs to do whatever they can do get
out of whatever contract they made with them that allows them to manage their own services for XBL, they've proven
themselves incapable of doing it properly and fairly.

#22 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 30 January 2013 - 22:48

I can't comment on the value of PS Plus, but I can comment on th value of Xbox Live Gold vs PSN.

I believe part of the reason Live Gold has it's value and the cost behind it is, Microsoft does a lot of the server
management, on the PSN that's all left to the publisher, which is why you see far more server shutdowns than on XBL
there are exceptions, ones I think publishers like EA and 2k are abusing and MS needs to do whatever they can do get
out of whatever contract they made with them that allows them to manage their own services for XBL, they've proven
themselves incapable of doing it properly and fairly.

Besides mentioning EA I think you really need to back that up?

Sony 1st party/exclusive servers do really well, Warhawk, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and Demons Souls are still up to name a few old titles.

#23 +NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 30 January 2013 - 23:40

Sony 1st party/exclusive servers do really well, Warhawk, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and Demons Souls are still up to name a few old titles.

I second this. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any games, outside of EA published games, that have had their matchmaking servers taken down.

#24 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:37

I second this. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any games, outside of EA published games, that have had their matchmaking servers taken down.

The most recent I can think of would be Ghostbusters: The Game, but overall they're mostly EA and 2K games, an example of an EA game though, Mercs 2
That's shutdown on PSN/PC but not XBL. I could probably come up with more if I searched, but I am pretty lazy and don't really feel the need to justify my statement.

#25 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:53

i never thought i'd like PS+ but ive had it for 2 years now. i love it. i dont download every free game or even buy games all that often, but every now and again something will be free or very cheap that interests me. Also, having PS+ carry over to the Vita was amazing. i downloaded 3 of the initial 'free' games.

I think you should start the downloads of content you don't think you'll want because if you don't and those games get taken down and new ones put up you can re-downlaod them from your download list.

I already have and beat Bioshock 2, but I already started the download and cancelled it just in case in the future I do want to download it for some reason.

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04

PS+ is definitely worth the money, at least for me.

#27 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:19

This is quite an insightful read. I didn't know much about PS+ as I do now, and given what I've learned, I may just sway towards a PS4 in the decision of whether to go with Microsoft or Sony in the next-gen battle.

#28 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 February 2013 - 14:11

So PS+ is sony's version of Gamefly (somewhat)? :/ Am I missing the point here? I get the issues the author have with XBLGold but not really sure why PS+ is humiliating the gaming industry.
(I don't own PS3 and have no intention to buy it so all I know about it is from reading the posts here.)

#29 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:34

So PS+ is sony's version of Gamefly (somewhat)? :/ Am I missing the point here? I get the issues the author have with XBLGold but not really sure why PS+ is humiliating the gaming industry.
(I don't own PS3 and have no intention to buy it so all I know about it is from reading the posts here.)

PS+ is more like a "premium" club type thing. You pay a monthly/yearly fee, and for that little fee, each month they put up "specials" that you get. Those specials normally range from "free" games , discounts on new games or dlc, and exclusive acess to demos/beta/ or 1 hour trials of full games.
As long as you have the membership, you can always play the free games. Once the membership expires though, those free games are locked.
The neat thing as mentioned though, is you don't have to download the games right away. Just add them to your cart and check out before you leave the store. The games will stay in your download library, free for you to download whenever you want, even if they remove the games from the special/list.
They have been releasing though some really good titles for free, such as Infamous 2, Street Fighter 4, Little Big Planet 2, Saints Row 2, and tons of others.
There is also the benefit of 1gb of cloud storage, auto updates for games and system, and a few extra nifty little goodies.

#30 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:51

So this past week I had to take a business trip to San Jose, California. 4 planes total with transfers, and 3 nights to fill my time.
Of course I brought my Vita with me, and just wanted to say I finally gave Uncharted Golden Abyss a proper sitting, and I am very glad I chose to do so. It is much better than I thought it was going to be. I share this as the one and only reason I got to check it out was thanks to + releasing it for free for subscribers. So a pretty good real world example of + in action, and why it pays for itself almost instantly.