Photo

Linux Version of Half Life Has Re-touched Character Models?

half life linux ubuntu steam valve update

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:41

Why are they starting off with ancient games?

Wouldn't it have been better to port a new popular game to pull peoples interest over to Linux ?

Old games are the base of the new games and much simpler.
Easier to port the old game engines over and start porting the source game engines over with some of the base already done.

#17 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:44

Easier to port the old game engines over and start porting the source game engines over with some of the base already done.

I highly doubt the current release of the Source engine shares much code with the old GoldSrc engine.

Is it so hard to fathom why Valve is porting two of their most popular games, however old, to a platform which they want to succeed?

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:46

I understand it might be easier, but not sure it will have the effect they are looking for,

A lot of people who say they are hanging back from switching completely to Linux, is because of gaming, I'd have thought it more productive to give them something to get excited about

If I was waiting for Steam - Linux to bring games to the table, it would hardly tickle my taste-buds with Halflife 1

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:50

It's a bit like rockstar and GTA on consoles VS PC... Does it honestly take them one whole year or longer to port them over to PC?

#20 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:55

It's a bit like rockstar and GTA on consoles VS PC... Does it honestly take them one whole year or longer to port them over to PC?

Probably not, but it brings in more $$$ doing it that way

PS3 has been re-sold how many times? 3 ? :laugh:

#21 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:05

A lot of people who say they are hanging back from switching completely to Linux, is because of gaming, I'd have thought it more productive to give them something to get excited about

Ditto this; nothing wrong with porting Half Life 1 (it is a fun game even considering its age), but if they're trying to draw gamer attention to Linux, they're going to have to do something a bit better than a game that I bought, completed, lost interest in and eventually and uninstalled literally last century.

#22 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:23

I thought people didn't like Half Life Source?

People didn't like the fact they mismatched HL2 and classic HL1 textures, left the 22Hz wav sound and did nothing to the player/object models. Other than that, it was great.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!