denmark ruling gender equality board of equal treatment womans complaint

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,523 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:29

Denmark, which like its Nordic neighbours prides itself on promoting equal treatment for men and women, has taken gender equality all the way to the beauty salon.

A ruling last month by Denmark's Board of Equal Treatment effectively stated that price differences between men's and women's haircuts were illegal.

It ordered a salon advertising women's haircuts for 528 crowns - £59 - and men's haircuts for 428 crowns - £48 - plus an extra fee for long hair, to pay 2,500 crowns - £281- to a woman who had filed a complaint.

Now, a trade organisation for hairdressers has called the decision absurd, saying it will become a nightmare to set prices for customers and warning of 'pricing chaos'.

'It takes, quite simply, longer time with women,' said Connie Mikkelsen, chairwoman of the Danish organisation for independent hairdressers and cosmeticians.

The board's decision has been appealed and a court will determine whether hairdressers need to find a new way to charge for their services, in the length of time, or the standard of the cut.

more

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,744 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:39

I think I am starting to understand all the Denmark South Park joke.. lol

#3 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,509 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:41

I don't understand this at all. Women haircuts take longer, and require more styling/products/what-have-you. It only makes sense that they cost more. /boggle

They could change the price to an average between the two, but I'd be willing to bet most salons have way more female customers than they do male. So they would lose a lot of money if they tried that approach.

#4 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,764 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:41

well it makes sense.... women usually have more hair... which means more work...... which means more time...... which means it COST MORE

but then if its a free business, why can't they set their own rates? if people don't like the rates they will go elsewhere RIGHT?!......

#5 vetLaura

Laura

Fwoomp

• 13,301 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:47

'It takes, quite simply, longer time with women,' said Connie Mikkelsen, chairwoman of the Danish organisation for independent hairdressers and cosmeticians.

Well, they could charge by time.

well it makes sense.... women usually have more hair... which means more work...... which means more time...... which means it COST MORE

I might have more hair but I don't necessarily want more of it cut off. If I have a basic dry cut I don't see how it's much more complicated or time consuming than the same for a man. If I'm having it washed/conditioned/combed/straightened and then some more fancy cut then obviously that should cost more.

#6 Tangmeister

Tangmeister

Executor

• 179 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:47

Doesn't this finally open the door for the exact same debate over insurance prices?
"It takes longer to process the car accident claims for the male population in total".
Sickening hypocrisy.

#7 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,869 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:55

I don't understand this at all. Women haircuts take longer, and require more styling/products/what-have-you. It only makes sense that they cost more. /boggle

Then charge for those things, not because the customer is a female.

This isn't saying that you must charge one price for all haircuts, just that setting the price based on the gender of the customer isn't allowed.

So a guy with short hair who takes 10 minutes to get his hair cut should be charged the same as a woman with short hair who takes 10 minutes.

A man with long hair who uses lots of styling products and takes a half hour should be charged the same as a woman with long hair who uses lots of styling products and takes a half hour.

I don't really see what the fuss is about here.

#8 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:55

Will this even survive in the courts? I personally doubt it.

#9 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:57

I might have more hair but I don't necessarily want more of it cut off. If I have a basic dry cut I don't see how it's much more complicated or time consuming than the same for a man. If I'm having it washed/conditioned/combed/straightened and then some more fancy cut then obviously that should cost more.

Well you get cheaper car insurance, so swings and roundabouts :p

#10 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,378 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:06

Yeah if I was going to start poking around with the equality stick insurance would be first at it!!

Eitherway a bit ridiculous, some pretty obvious reasons as to why their haircuts would typically cost more. Suppose hair salons there will just move to a charge by the hour / block of time so the rate would be the same regardless of gender.

The funny thing is womens hair cuts will still end up costing the same because typically they are a time consuming process but invariably mens hair cuts will probably on average increase due to this.

#11 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,359 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:20

Sounds like I have to have long hair to makeup for the price hike!

#12 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:23

If that's the case, women should expect the same type of cut men get.

#13 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,523 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:23

Glad I cut my own hair -- saving $$$$$$$$$$ :D

#14 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,513 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:32

Well you get cheaper car insurance, so swings and roundabouts :p

No she doesn't.

Yeah if I was going to start poking around with the equality stick insurance would be first at it!!

Men and women pay the same for car insurance in the EU already.

If that's the case, women should expect the same type of cut men get.

What type of cut is that?

#15 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 16:32

The price should be set to a minimum, and go up depending on time and difficulty. But there is no reason I would want to pay anymore than $13 for a haircut, when it only takes like 10 minutes to cut my hair, and there is nothing more than using a shaver and a few clips of the scissors.
But I always understood why women where charged more, as they usually have more to deal with, more difficult styles to do, and the attention that is normally given to them while it is done. The fact is, normally cutting a mans hair is a lot simpler than most womens hair cuts.