Mechanical Keyboards

Hello all,

Decided I want to change my keyboard from the stock Dell keyboard I have used since 2006.

I think I want to head towards the Mechanical side - love the touch and sound! - and would just like to hear your opinions on your favourite Mechanical Keyboards before I decide on purchasing one? Will generally be used for gaming, media keys would be a plus but not ideal.

I'm using a mechanical now - I have the Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Pro. It's a nice keyboard with Cherry MX Red keys. I've heard good things about the Corsair K60 and K90 too, but if I were you, I'd try and stay away from Razer because their materials tend to be on the cheap side which isn't great when you're paying a premium price.

• Like 1

My friend bought the K90, which is where I fell in love with mechanical keyboards. I was just looking for some alternatives as I already have the same case as him.. haha. I've never particularly liked the design of razers products, bit too Alien looking for me.

A general opinion is more or less like this: if you are gaming, buy a mechanical keyboard with red cherry switches, they are very silent and require very little force to actuate (also women for some reason prefer this keyboards) if you are going to type, then buy any other switches that are not red, most of them offer a clicky sound, ones more than the others (some people have said that they had to change their keyboards because while the sensation is mach to none, their wives couldn't sleep :D)

All in all, I'm very happy with my Corsair K90 for everything (typing and gaming)

Looks like I'm going to have to look into the differences between the different switches

I'm using Red's to type and they aren't too bad. I imagine Blacks would be better...or maybe I'm just different to everyone else in the world ever, haha :p

I'm typing on a Unicomp Ultra Classic. Unicomp has the patent and manufacturing tools for Buckling Springs, the keyboard technology originally invented by IBM and used in the famous Model F and Model M.

n my opinion nothing even comes close to the joy of typing on a Model M!

I am using a Mad Catz Cyborg 7 keyboard, I enjoy it!

Edit: A long time ago I had a IBM Keyboard and even though the computer became outdated I stuck with the metal keyboard - was one of my favorites. I replaced it as the "windows" key became a standard.

I'm typing on a Unicomp Ultra Classic. Unicomp has the patent and manufacturing tools for Buckling Springs, the keyboard technology originally invented by IBM and used in the famous Model F and Model M.

n my opinion nothing even comes close to the joy of typing on a Model M!

I bought an original IBM Model M recently, and am using it now. Whilst I agree it's a brilliant keyboard and is excellent for typing, I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. If I'm gaming I use my Microsoft keyboard.

I am using a Mad Catz Cyborg 7 keyboard, I enjoy it!

Edit: A long time ago I had a IBM Keyboard and even though the computer became outdated I stuck with the metal keyboard - was one of my favorites. I replaced it as the "windows" key became a standard.

That keyboard mimics mechanic keys... but still a membrane keyboard (site says it)

I like the Corsair, though I generally prefer the Cherry Black/Blue to the Reds.

Cherry MX Blue slogan: Because your typing wasn't loud enough :p

I have a Steelseries 7G, it's a great keyboard minus the spacebar going and needing to get a new it's great. As for Razor their keyboards are fine.

I've been wanting to find a Model M for quite some time. I just like the feel of mechanical keyboards; I learned to type on a Model M back in 5th grade (back when it was cool for kids in the class to take the keycaps off the keys and place them on other keys). I have a really old off-brand mechanical keyboard from the 80s that I'd like to use, but it has an AT connector!

That keyboard mimics mechanic keys... but still a membrane keyboard (site says it)

So you are right -- then, not a good recommendation.

If you got the dough, Filco branded KBs are generally regarded as the best mechanical keyboards. CM Storm Quickfires (not the Pro's) are generally made from the same OEM, though some specific models might not be.

Ducky KBs might be hard to find, but are also really well made for their price.

On a budget, Rosewill mechanical KBs are really solid.

I've got a Thermaltake Meka G1, which is slightly older than all the more current mechanical keyboards, but I still don't have an issue with it and its Cherry Blacks. They are supposedly made by the Filco oem's too. =)

Have 2 Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboards... they are pretty freakin' awesome.. I have the 2012 model and 2013 model. Both are good with 2013 having some adjustments and feels a bit more solid and the keys light up much brighter on the max setting and the keyboard is matte as opposed to 2012 model which was shiny and gathered finger prints like crazy!

Awesome.

There are many different types of key switches. Some require firm key presses, others are light. Some are loud, others more subtle. Some are crisp, others are smooth. My advice would be to try the different switches and figure out which one you like best. I have the following in rotation:

Buckling springs (IBM Model M)

Very LOUD, promotes a typing style where you're banging on the keyboard. Tactile, yet smooth.

White ALPS

Tactile and loud. Almost as loud as the buckling springs. Not as smooth as the buckling springs. Whereas the former is tactile an smooth, the white ALPS are tactile and crisp. This is because the key "gives" near the top of the travel. Buckling springs fold much later on the way down.

Topre Switches

Technically Topre switches aren't mechanically switched. However, they do have individual springs under each key, and people who have tried them rave about them. They are SMOOTH. It's like typing on butter. You need a light touch. They are the most subtle of the bunch. Your first reaction will probably be "what's the fuss?" But there's tactility in there. They make a "toc" sound when bottoming out. Sounds glorious at speed. They aren't loud. They're extremely addictive to type on. Expensive boards though. Expect to pay around $300 for a keyboard with Topre switches.

Cherry MX Blue

Clicky, sounds a bit tiny compared to the buckling springs. Rewards a light touch. I don't like the sound - a bit high pitch for my taste.

Other Cherry MX Switches

I haven't tried the browns, reds, clears or blacks, so I don't have an opinion on them. Cherry MX switches are the most readily available and common though. Most of the new wave of mechanical keyboards that have become fashionable lately use them.

Once you've decided on the switch, other things to consider are:

• With or without numeric keypad? Maybe you are in spread sheets all day and need the num pad. Or maybe you write code all day and have no use for it. No num pad means your pointing device can be closer to your hand if you're right handed.
  • Wired or wireless? If wired, maybe you'd like a built in USB hub?
  • Backlighting? Maybe you like to game in the dark. Or maybe you touch type and don't care.
  • PC or Mac layout? Not a biggie though. Keys can be remapped in the OS.
  • Build quality and material. Will the plastic get shiny after a few months of use? Will the key caps fade?
  • Looks.
  • Dedicated media keys?
  • Programmable keys?