#16 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44

This topic might be of some use to you:

http://www.neowin.ne...aming-keyboard/

A few people seem to be critical of Razer's KBs and their customer support is supposed to be straight ass.

You might want to keep that in mind.

#17 beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:08

I've been wanting to find a Model M for quite some time. I just like the feel of mechanical keyboards; I learned to type on a Model M back in 5th grade (back when it was cool for kids in the class to take the keycaps off the keys and place them on other keys). I have a really old off-brand mechanical keyboard from the 80s that I'd like to use, but it has an AT connector!

#18 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:46

That keyboard mimics mechanic keys... but still a membrane keyboard (site says it)

So you are right -- then, not a good recommendation.

#19 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:52

If you got the dough, Filco branded KBs are generally regarded as the best mechanical keyboards. CM Storm Quickfires (not the Pro's) are generally made from the same OEM, though some specific models might not be.

Ducky KBs might be hard to find, but are also really well made for their price.

On a budget, Rosewill mechanical KBs are really solid.

I've got a Thermaltake Meka G1, which is slightly older than all the more current mechanical keyboards, but I still don't have an issue with it and its Cherry Blacks. They are supposedly made by the Filco oem's too. =)

#20 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:00

Have 2 Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboards... they are pretty freakin' awesome.. I have the 2012 model and 2013 model. Both are good with 2013 having some adjustments and feels a bit more solid and the keys light up much brighter on the max setting and the keyboard is matte as opposed to 2012 model which was shiny and gathered finger prints like crazy!

Awesome.

#21 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:43

Is the Corsair k90 good for "gaming" (all I play is Wolfenstein: enemy territory) and typing? I'd like the best of both worlds type of keyboard and needs to be as quiet as possible

#22 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:47

There are many different types of key switches. Some require firm key presses, others are light. Some are loud, others more subtle. Some are crisp, others are smooth. My advice would be to try the different switches and figure out which one you like best. I have the following in rotation:

Buckling springs (IBM Model M)
Very LOUD, promotes a typing style where you're banging on the keyboard. Tactile, yet smooth.

White ALPS
Tactile and loud. Almost as loud as the buckling springs. Not as smooth as the buckling springs. Whereas the former is tactile an smooth, the white ALPS are tactile and crisp. This is because the key "gives" near the top of the travel. Buckling springs fold much later on the way down.

Topre Switches
Technically Topre switches aren't mechanically switched. However, they do have individual springs under each key, and people who have tried them rave about them. They are SMOOTH. It's like typing on butter. You need a light touch. They are the most subtle of the bunch. Your first reaction will probably be "what's the fuss?" But there's tactility in there. They make a "toc" sound when bottoming out. Sounds glorious at speed. They aren't loud. They're extremely addictive to type on. Expensive boards though. Expect to pay around $300 for a keyboard with Topre switches.

Cherry MX Blue
Clicky, sounds a bit tiny compared to the buckling springs. Rewards a light touch. I don't like the sound - a bit high pitch for my taste.

Other Cherry MX Switches
I haven't tried the browns, reds, clears or blacks, so I don't have an opinion on them. Cherry MX switches are the most readily available and common though. Most of the new wave of mechanical keyboards that have become fashionable lately use them.

Once you've decided on the switch, other things to consider are:
  • With or without numeric keypad? Maybe you are in spread sheets all day and need the num pad. Or maybe you write code all day and have no use for it. No num pad means your pointing device can be closer to your hand if you're right handed.
  • Wired or wireless? If wired, maybe you'd like a built in USB hub?
  • Backlighting? Maybe you like to game in the dark. Or maybe you touch type and don't care.
  • PC or Mac layout? Not a biggie though. Keys can be remapped in the OS.
  • Build quality and material. Will the plastic get shiny after a few months of use? Will the key caps fade?
  • Looks.
  • Dedicated media keys?
  • Programmable keys?

#23 amnesiality

amnesiality

Neowinian

• Phone: Green Lumia 930

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:54

I'm using SteelSeries 6GV2 and I love it. Best keyboard ever :wub:

http://steelseries.c...teelseries-6gv2

#24 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:57

I've preordered a Matias Laptop Pro recently. I'm hoping it will be as tactile as the white ALPS, but quieter than the Cherry MX blue.

#25 08993

It burns!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:59

My baby - http://www.keyboardc...asp?PRODUCT=932

Also doubles as a home self defense weapon, if I hit somebody over the head with it they would know about it! Built like a tank.

OP should check out http://www.keyboardco.com/ as they are UK based and have nice exotics at great prices.

#26 medium_pimpin

medium_pimpin

Boner Soup

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:02

Das Keyboard

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

#27 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:04

^ "Click, Clack...Ohhh"

Sold

#28 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:05

Oh, check out Geekhack for anything keyboard related. Heaps of info there.

#29 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:31

Is the Corsair k90 good for "gaming" (all I play is Wolfenstein: enemy territory) and typing? I'd like the best of both worlds type of keyboard and needs to be as quiet as possible

It would be far more than good for that game :D (typing is also nice, there is a review here about this keyboard too)

#30 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:41

Do these keyboards have individual switches for each key rather than a printed membrane inside?