Mechanical Keyboards

mechanical keyboard gaming

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:49

I bought an original IBM Model M recently, and am using it now. Whilst I agree it's a brilliant keyboard and is excellent for typing, I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. If I'm gaming I use my Microsoft keyboard.

I'd somewhat agree for multiplayer shooters for all other types of games I've never had any problem with it...

#32 Corona

Corona

RDDT

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:51

Do these keyboards have individual switches for each key rather than a printed membrane inside?

Yes, and you can take out each key cap to replace or clean out with ease.
Posted Image

I've got Filco ninja majestouch-2 10keyless with Brown Switches, best keyboard I've ever owned. Along with brown switches I prefer reds as well.
Black switches are usually recommended for FPS players, however I found that Black switches feels like membrane keyboards, did not like it.

#33 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:55

Been reading about the Corsair K90 apprantly the keys getting "stuck" seems to be a common fault, where it'll just keep doing any random letter rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, anyone else has this?

This is the problem reading reviews, I get put off far too easily.

But it does look supersexy and only £89, bargain

#34 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 15:26

Been reading about the Corsair K90 apprantly the keys getting "stuck" seems to be a common fault, where it'll just keep doing any random letter rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, anyone else has this?

This is the problem reading reviews, I get put off far too easily.

First firmware versions had some sort of problem that indeed would cause a key to be stuck, but honestly speaking, I updated the firmware on my keyboard since day 1 and haven't felt such behavior.

#35 OP DaveGreen93

DaveGreen93

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:31

Ebuyer by any chance?

I just had another go on my friends K90 and it felt good, so I've come home, looked for the cheapest which happened to be Ebuyer and ordered it.

Thanks all for your suggestions and what not. Keep discussing as I'm sure there are others like me, looking for a good mechanical keyboard!

#36 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:05

Yup Ebuyer :D I looked youtube about the k90, it seemed loud :(

#37 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:16

If you got the dough, Filco branded KBs are generally regarded as the best mechanical keyboards. CM Storm Quickfires (not the Pro's) are generally made from the same OEM, though some specific models might not be.

Ducky KBs might be hard to find, but are also really well made for their price.

On a budget, Rosewill mechanical KBs are really solid.

I've got a Thermaltake Meka G1, which is slightly older than all the more current mechanical keyboards, but I still don't have an issue with it and its Cherry Blacks. They are supposedly made by the Filco oem's too. =)

To add to this, I've found Ducky keyboards at my local Microcenter, and CM Storm Quickfires are Filcos, and you can find some on shelves now that don't have 25 stupid little CM logos on them.

The Filco ninjas are pretty nice though. I'm going to pick up a mechanical keyboard when I get some free cash, I it's either going to be a Ninja, a WASD V2, or a Noppoo choc mini.

#38 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 01 February 2013 - 00:23

I've had the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Blue switches for about 7 months now and have zero complaints. Was well worth the money.

#39 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 00:26

Corsair uses the same OEM as Leopold if I recall. Leopold and Ducky (and rebrands) are the best cost efficient boards.

If I were you I'd buy a Cherry MX Brown tenkeyless for 80-90$ by Leopold.

#40 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 February 2013 - 00:31

I wrote one of the K90 reviews on here.

I'm still using the keyboard and I do like it, but the keys getting stuck thing is true, albeit rarely occurring; Perhaps twice a month at worst >.<

Simply striking the key again fixes it. It's a great keyboard, but that little annoyance is present.

EDIT::
For the people interested: http://www.neowin.ne...aming-keyboard/

Comments are worth a read also.

#41 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18

I have an old Logitech G11 keyboard. Is that a mechanical keyboard?

#42 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51

Got a Corsair K60 late last month and it's a fun keyboard. Additional USB port is helpful for charging, the rolling volume wheel is intuitive, and the keys aren't too loud. They're about the same as the Microsoft Internet Keyboard, sound wise. Plus the removable keys and the design of the keyboard itself - open space beneath the keys - makes it dead simple to brush away dust, hair, and crumbs.

The lack of a palm rest is a bit of a pain. I've found that my right hand lifts itself off the table when typing quickly. I'm waiting on delivery of a 3M palm rest to remedy that (WR309LE).

#43 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27

I have an old Logitech G11 keyboard. Is that a mechanical keyboard?

As far as I know, Logi only has one mechanical KB (G710+) and it was only just released.

#44 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43

As far as I know, Logi only has one mechanical KB (G710+) and it was only just released.

Thanks, and man does that G710+ look good.

Another side question, is mechanical KBs a new thing, or old tech becoming popular again?

#45 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:56

How is Logitech for you all?