• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,018 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47

Does it connect to 3G like a normal phone or still BIS? If it's BIS, **** RIM.

#17 korupt_one

korupt_one

****ing Guru

• 1,110 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49

looks like a mish mash of ios and android, not a very impressive phone nothing innovative and specs are the norm, especially when next month we will see a whole bunch of new devices with better hardware, androids and 2nd gen wp8 devices. On the business side of thing they will be getting a good challenge going against Microsoft and Samsung partnership with wp8 for business. I think they will be in a very tough position before long and we will see them drop the hardware and try focus licensing there software.

#18 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,638 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:08

Does it connect to 3G like a normal phone or still BIS? If it's BIS, **** RIM.

I would imagine is still uses BIS/BES. That has always been one of BB's strong points; secure communications, push. I hate it.

#19 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:23

The new OS which borrows many things from iOS, Android, WP8, and Win8 :) ...
If those three sue RIM, they will go out of business the next day ....

#20 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:41

Wow this looks niiice. hope they get some good media apps and network testing apps!

#21 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,358 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:07

If audio quality performance isn't up to par with the iphone 4s/5, do no want. The z10 is refreshing versus the regular androids and iphones ( lumia 920 are pretty good design wise).

From The Verge:

As I expected, call quality and general audio output (both earpiece and speaker) on the Z10 performed excellently. The sound was loud and clear with no distortion, and made talking on the phone (something I generally try to avoid) pleasant when it happened. I can't exactly recommend listening to music casually through the speakers on the Z10, but if you must, the sound reproduction is decent enough to hear most details.

I don't exactly know the call quality of the iPhone 4S/5 but I imagine it's either the same or better.

looks like a mish mash of ios and android, not a very impressive phone nothing innovative and specs are the norm, especially when next month we will see a whole bunch of new devices with better hardware, androids and 2nd gen wp8 devices. On the business side of thing they will be getting a good challenge going against Microsoft and Samsung partnership with wp8 for business. I think they will be in a very tough position before long and we will see them drop the hardware and try focus licensing there software.

Nothing innovative? They're doing something different. The usage of the OS is based on gestures which explains the lack of navigational buttons. That's something we haven't seen yet in other smartphone operating systems. The onscreen keyboard alone could be considered innovative because of its next-word prediction feature. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft, Apple, or Google added that feature to their respective operating systems.

Also, BlackBerry has a very good relationship with carriers. They're going to launch BB10 with major carriers in the US, Canada, and Europe. And that's with an OS that hasn't really been tested yet by the general public.

I'm hopeful that this will save BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM) so I'm not ready to count them out just yet. One thing that consumers should hope for is more competition. Remember when Apple changed the game back in 2007?

The new OS which borrows many things from iOS, Android, WP8, and Win8 :) ...
If those three sue RIM, they will go out of business the next day ....

I highly doubt any of those companies would sue BlackBerry.

#22 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,018 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:14

I would imagine is still uses BIS/BES. That has always been one of BB's strong points; secure communications, push. I hate it.

It's so god damned slow!

#23 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,895 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:34

Nothing innovative? They're doing something different. The usage of the OS is based on gestures which explains the lack of navigational buttons. That's something we haven't seen yet in other smartphone operating systems. The onscreen keyboard alone could be considered innovative because of its next-word prediction feature. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft, Apple, or Google added that feature to their respective operating systems.

Incorrect. Ubuntu's phone OS, shown off a few weeks ago, is entirely gesture based and has the same dock on the left, settings at the top etc. BB are copying again.

#24 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,502 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37

Incorrect. Ubuntu's phone OS, shown off a few weeks ago, is entirely gesture based and has the same dock on the left, settings at the top etc. BB are copying again.

Erm. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry 10 was designed long before the Ubuntu OS was shown off.

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,496 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:44

BB10's gestures were demoed long before we saw anything about Ubuntu for phones. On top of that it's laughable you actually seem to think BlackBerry only started developing this a few weeks ago.

#26 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,895 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:00

Gestures aren't exactly hard to implement, and I'd not seen any earlier previews of BB10 OS.

Either way, it doesn't matter. RIM/Blackberry are no longer particularly relevant in the mobile OS world. They've left things way too long now. They'll end up being niche, like Firefox's and Ubuntu's mobile OS's.

#27 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,358 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:16

Gestures aren't exactly hard to implement, and I'd not seen any earlier previews of BB10 OS.

Either way, it doesn't matter. RIM/Blackberry are no longer particularly relevant in the mobile OS world. They've left things way too long now. They'll end up being niche, like Firefox's and Ubuntu's mobile OS's.

But it does matter. It sets them apart from the major players in the smartphone world. BlackBerry has huge carrier support and an Internet-based instant messaging service (BBM) with over 60 million active users. On top of that, BBM also has free voice calling (over the Internet), file sharing, and screen sharing. Despite what you may think, BlackBerry is still relevant.

Whether or not they'll stay relevant remains to be seen but I'm hopeful.

#28 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:16

Do BB Devices stil connect to RIM before the web as a forced proxy or whatnot. Im tempted to give tese a try(in a year :p) and just curious if they are like other devices with direct connectivity.

#29 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,857 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:45

It's so god damned slow!

From The Verge:

I don't exactly know the call quality of the iPhone 4S/5 but I imagine it's either the same or better.

Also, BlackBerry has a very good relationship with carriers. They're going to launch BB10 with major carriers in the US, Canada, and Europe. And that's with an OS that hasn't really been tested yet by the general public.

I'm hopeful that this will save BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM) so I'm not ready to count them out just yet. One thing that consumers should hope for is more competition. Remember when Apple changed the game back in 2007?

I highly doubt any of those companies would sue BlackBerry.

I'll need to see frequency response charts, BEFORE I cast a vote, from a reputable page like gsmarena or someone over at head-fi.

http://www.gsmarena....eview-665p5.php

#30 tim_s

tim_s

• 373 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:04

I have used Blackberries since the 8700 all the way up to the Storm. I really thought I was getting best of both worlds - usability and flexibility of the iPhone with the power of the Blackberry but I experienced a lot of issues with the Storm. The unit would stop taking incoming calls, it would remain running but if you called the device - *unresponsive to me* but to the caller - it is ringing through to voice-mail.

I went through 3 Blackberry storms and then I was offered an iPhone at a discounted price.