Job interview with Council on Friday, any tips?

So I've got a job interview on Friday for my County Council. It is for a position in providing support for school software called Target Tracker.

Now, I tend to get VERY nervous for events such as an interview... I don't know why I've just never been great at meeting people when it really counts.

I know a few members here either work for a goverment council or used to. Could anybody give me some tips on what I should be expecting in the interview? What questions, how will I be expected to answer them. Anything I should mention? How should I act?

I'm 18 and I've had very little job interview experience, so having one for the council seems like it's a step in the right direction.

Really anything to do with interviews will help :)

Thanks alot!

Interviewers usually understand interviews can be stressful and won't judge you too harshly if you have a case of the nerves, especially because you're young (unless they are real jerks, which I find people rarely are). Nerves actually might help a bit, I know it sounds weird but I find nerves focus me and help me communicate a bit better sometimes.

I wish you well. Let us know how it turns out :)

I haven't worked for a council, but having been to a few interviews in the past I can say that they tend to be small, maybe only one or two people with you. For me I find that a lot easier, as it's far quicker to break that social barrier that stands between you. Obviously you don't want to take it too far, but just remember that they are people as well and turn the interview in to more of a chat than a questions and answers session.

Next, make sure you know as much about the position as you can before you go in. You want to show to them that you are interested in the position enough to have done your homework first.

Also, go in with a few questions. It's just as much your time to ask things as it is theirs. And again, it shows that you're interested in the position.

As for nerves...well, there's not a lot to be done about them. I would suggest taking some herbal calmers an hour or so before the interview. I say herbal because the ones that I have used in the past have been great without making me drowsy.

Oh, and that reminds me: Have a good night's sleep the night before! It may be difficult to do with the excitement of the job interview the next day, but it always helps to be rested rather than sat in the interview yawning because of the heavy drinking session you had the night before. But I'm sure you already guessed that one. ;)

I haven't worked for a council, but having been to a few interviews in the past I can say that they tend to be small, maybe only one or two people with you. For me I find that a lot easier, as it's far quicker to break that social barrier that stands between you. Obviously you don't want to take it too far, but just remember that they are people as well and turn the interview in to more of a chat than a questions and answers session.

Next, make sure you know as much about the position as you can before you go in. You want to show to them that you are interested in the position enough to have done your homework first.

Also, go in with a few questions. It's just as much your time to ask things as it is theirs. And again, it shows that you're interested in the position.

As for nerves...well, there's not a lot to be done about them. I would suggest taking some herbal calmers an hour or so before the interview. I say herbal because the ones that I have used in the past have been great without making me drowsy.

Oh, and that reminds me: Have a good night's sleep the night before! It may be difficult to do with the excitement of the job interview the next day, but it always helps to be rested rather than sat in the interview yawning because of the heavy drinking session you had the night before. But I'm sure you already guessed that one. ;)

Thanks for that :). I ended up having 3 people. All very nice and easy to talk to. I ended up spending the majority of last night looking into the position and the website for the type of job; with a bit of The Office in between :p.

Haha Council Job! Your going to love it ;-)

Oh dear, what have I got my self in for? :/

Thanks guys.

Anybody else got any tips?

Wear a tie, slacks, and nice shoes. Bring multiple copies of your paperwork/resume with you to give to the interviewers. They may already have copies, but I have been in many interviews which they do not. Also, arrive early 10 - 15 minutes early.

Also, think of a few questions to ask at the end of the interview. I always find it hard to think of them on the spot. Questions should be about the position. Keep good eye contact and make sure you listen to the questions that are asked to you.

Talk to them like they're your friends. Answer questions like it is, balancing a degree of professionalism and casual discussion. Demonstrate what you are good at, and be honest with things you need help in -- and how you can use your shortcomings to your disadvantages (Ie., "I am not sure how to answer this. However, I am not afraid to ask questions. If you can give me a little more guidance here, I can give a much better answer, etc.) Come with a mindset that they want you as much as you want them, so in the process of being interviewed, you are also 'interviewing' your future coworkers.

I got a job offer at every job interview I've ever received.