What do you guys think about this?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 DigitalManifestations

DigitalManifestations

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:24

The FX is damn good for that. I would go for the 8320 and overlock to 8350 level or more as needed because I'm a penny pincher. :shifty:

Intel does, the 1155 will be replaced by the 1150 for Haswell and Broadwell.

Right but saying it's a dead end somewhat implies it's also a poor buy.

#17 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET?!?!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26

Soooooo would any of you awesome folks be willing to post a good video card, mobo combo for the FX 8320? :D

Just remember how much I love and appreciate you all!

#18 DigitalManifestations

DigitalManifestations

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33

Soooooo would any of you awesome folks be willing to post a good video card, mobo combo for the FX 8320? :D

Budget? Can't go wrong with a GTX 660 but if you're on a budget and want decent performance the Radeon 7850 is still a good buy.

This is a nice board but it is 189.99 : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131736

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - 159.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157358

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - 149.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

#19 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:41

Budget? Can't go wrong with a GTX 660 but if you're on a budget and want decent performance the Radeon 7850 is still a good buy.

This is a nice board but it is 189.99 : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131736

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - 159.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157358

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - 149.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

Don't really have a budget. I want to spend as least as possible without making the computer look and feel like a car that has a Honda Accord body but a Ferrari engine. If my CPU is amazing but the components are trash, that would suck. So just suggestions I guess and your suggestions look great! I appreciate you taking the time out.

Edit: I want to spend as least as possible but if something makes sense and it costs $50 more than what I want to spend I'm not gonna cry.

#20 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49

I know that 90% of people prefer intel. I'm one of the 10% who prefers AMD. Why? The Dollar Bill. I'm not rich, so I get the best bang for my buck and go AMD. If I actually had the cash, I would still probably stick with AMD. Although, lately, I've been thinkin maybe the grass is greener on the other side.

#21 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06

That's not a bad CPU. Unless you want a CPU that will perform certain functions faster (usually only seconds faster), then go with an i5 or i7. And if gaming, AMD CPUs and Intel CPUs are about equal in most games + or - a few frames here or there. Only thing I don't like about these AMD FX chips, is that their single threaded performance is worse then the previous generation of AMD Phenom II chips, but they make up for it with higher clock speeds.

#22 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:08

Right but saying it's a dead end somewhat implies it's also a poor buy.

It is a poor buy if you intend to upgrade to Haswell and beyond because you have to get a new motherboard. If you're staying with 1155 until GPUs can take advantage of PCIe 3 and DDR4 becomes available and affordable then this is not an issue obviously.

Like DM said, the 7850 is a pretty good budget card that handles any modern game. Might be worth getting the 2GB version for video editing, I'm not sure. Someone with more experience with this might help here. What resolution does your monitor have btw?

As for mobo I'd go with something with the 970 chipset like MSI 970A-G46 (all manufactures have boards with equivalent specs if MSI is not your choice). Although that board comes with a 8GB memory module, it is a bit slow and you should sell it if you get it. Go with a 4GBx2 DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 kit and 1.5v or lower. I found this funny thing while browsing Newegg.

#23 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:11

What are you planning on using the PC for? I'm assuming gaming? If so you can't go wrong with what DigitalManifestations suggested.

#24 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

Posted 31 January 2013 - 17:40

It is a poor buy if you intend to upgrade to Haswell and beyond because you have to get a new motherboard. If you're staying with 1155 until GPUs can take advantage of PCIe 3 and DDR4 becomes available and affordable then this is not an issue obviously.

Like DM said, the 7850 is a pretty good budget card that handles any modern game. Might be worth getting the 2GB version for video editing, I'm not sure. Someone with more experience with this might help here. What resolution does your monitor have btw?

As for mobo I'd go with something with the 970 chipset like MSI 970A-G46 (all manufactures have boards with equivalent specs if MSI is not your choice). Although that board comes with a 8GB memory module, it is a bit slow and you should sell it if you get it. Go with a 4GBx2 DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 kit and 1.5v or lower. I found this funny thing while browsing Newegg.

My monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. It's a Viewsonic LED. I've bookmarked everything youve suggested and I should be making the purchase today or tomorrow.

#25 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:50

My monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. It's a Viewsonic LED. I've bookmarked everything youve suggested and I should be making the purchase today or tomorrow.

Haha, tried to narrow down a specific model for the 7850 from Newegg, but I can't make up my mind. You have the cheap option with the 1GB HIS or XFX cards, then there's the twin cooler 2GB cards, but they get awfully close to the 7870. And you guys also have the whole rebate thing.

Anyway, I guess you have more shops that you're looking at which might change the whole GPU situation. Whatever the case, try and find comprehensive reviews of the cards if you can before deciding on one. That being said, best of luck.

#26 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:09

Haha, tried to narrow down a specific model for the 7850 from Newegg, but I can't make up my mind. You have the cheap option with the 1GB HIS or XFX cards, then there's the twin cooler 2GB cards, but they get awfully close to the 7870. And you guys also have the whole rebate thing.

Anyway, I guess you have more shops that you're looking at which might change the whole GPU situation. Whatever the case, try and find comprehensive reviews of the cards if you can before deciding on one. That being said, best of luck.

Thank you very much, I appreciate all your help along with everyone else that contributed.

#27 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:11

My wife bought a bulldozer - there is a lot of negatively around this processor but comparing AMD to Intel is not a 100% apples to apples comparison. It is not as distanced as an orange but like a pear the straight frequency comparison will not work for a number of reasons but 1 being an older instruction set.

To say that an i5 vs the bulldozer is a straight winner is not accurate as it really depends on the work load. In most cases an intel i5+ chip will out class the bull dozer but in one area the bull dozer out classes the intel. Price - over clocking is great and for people who can over look beyond being stuck in the AMD family can pick up a good deal and possibly get that extra sudo "inch" of processing power for their money.

I bought an i7 but in comparison my wife has a machine she can game on and it serves her purpose well, more money for games.

Food for thought.

#28 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:42

All this help is the reason I love this place. I bought the processor for $159 and I went for an AsRock Mobo. Now I'm at a fork in the road. I need a good case and it's between this case...

Antec Three Hundred
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129042

And one that I have from a previous build that I'm going to buy again if I chose it. Which would you guys chose?

Centurion 5
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119068

I KNOW the Centurion is a great case since I've had it for about 6 years. But I "want" something new. But if there is a better choice, I'll jump. I want to stay in the same price range tho. Thanks guys!

#29 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47

All this help is the reason I love this place. I bought the processor for $159 and I went for an AsRock Mobo. Now I'm at a fork in the road. I need a good case and it's between this case...

Antec Three Hundred
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129042

And one that I have from a previous build that I'm going to buy again if I chose it. Which would you guys chose?

Centurion 5
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119068

I KNOW the Centurion is a great case since I've had it for about 6 years. But I "want" something new. But if there is a better choice, I'll jump. I want to stay in the same price range tho. Thanks guys!

Hmm, it says the Antec is out of stock. I guess that makes your decision easier?

#30 OP C-Squarez

C-Squarez

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49

Hmm, it says the Antec is out of stock. I guess that makes your decision easier?

LOL! It's on Amazon. I was reading the reviews.