hdr photography

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:16

Here's the thing... the picture of the car is pretty boring. HDR (via software, no less) does not fix that.

In all of those pictures something is oddly framed... the tree and the lightpost in the first, the top of the fireworks in the second, there's too many boats in the third, that plane is just a plane that's been parked, and the front of the Command Module is missing.

My two cents. I wouldn't even touch processing software (aside from cropping / straightening) until you're happy with what the camera is capturing.

#17 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:25

If you only took one picture (even if it's in RAW) and ran it through filters it has nothing to do with HDR. HDR is the process of re-adding the overexposed and underexposed portions of a picture from other pictures of the same scene taken at different exposure. What you did is simply apply filters to an image. The 'Local Tone Mapping' effect in Paint Shop Pro gives you this exact result.

http://en.wikipedia....c_range_imaging

But still, your pictures are awesome.

#18 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:30

Here's the thing... the picture of the car is pretty boring. HDR (via software, no less) does not fix that.

In all of those pictures something is oddly framed... the tree and the lightpost in the first, the top of the fireworks in the second, there's too many boats in the third, that plane is just a plane that's been parked, and the front of the Command Module is missing.

My two cents. I wouldn't even touch processing software (aside from cropping / straightening) until you're happy with what the camera is capturing.

I actually agree. The composition, while better than the average person, is still not really Wow.
To be brutally honest, the color is what makes this images interesting, and as pointed out above, this is not the original way of doing HDR, as such everyone and their mother can now do "HDR" thanks to the software out there.

So I do think this is the most frank and honest response in this thread. It is going to do your worlds of good if you forget about the HDR stuff for awhile and just really concentrate on taking great photos to begin with. Composition that is unique and interesting (which you already show signs of for sure, do not want to downplay this fact).

I kind of liken it to a musician singing out of key, then using Auto Tune to correct it. or playing slightly off beat, and using Pro Tools to correct it. The end result may sound good at the end of the day, but that end result is still relying on a piece of software, which when all is said and done, anyone who has the patience and the hardware to learn it could do it.

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:38

Yeah, I don't want to sound harsh, it's just that's there's wayyyyyy too many options for processing photos in software today that ruin what the photo is really about. When taking a photo, this is the order of importance:

1) Where you put your feet.
2) Where the light is
3) How fast the shutter closes
4) the f-stop

Assuming you nailed those and the picture was in focus, pretty much everything else is unimportant.

The great part about digital is that you don't have to worry about ISO and cropping anymore (to some extent, anyway), and you can go nuts taking pictures without blowing all your money on film.

#20 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:49

Looks too much "faux hdr" .... same (or even batter) results can be achieved through shadows/highlights and channel leveling.

The castle and the boats pixs are not bad, ... the first one ... too much magenta

Vintage-Original1_faux.jpg

#21 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2, 2.3.6, Windows 8.1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:58

I love it! Beautiful pics.. Great job! :)

#22 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:58

Looks too much "faux hdr" .... same (or even batter) results can be achieved through shadows/highlights and channel leveling.

The castle and the boats pixs are not bad, ... the first one ... too much magenta

Vintage-Original1_faux.jpg

wow that looks bad, looks way over corrected color wise.. contrast isn't great either... some of the columns "fade" out in that pic

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:06

Here's another one I took some time ago at the KSC

Posted Image

One more

Posted Image

Not a fan of these, not sure if it's a problem with HDR's of shiny metal or if it's the specific HDR processing. but they look to shiny plasticy or shrinkwrapped. maybe if the HDR was applied selectively to the scene and not so much the metal objects.

#24 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:08

wow that looks bad, looks way over corrected color wise.. contrast isn't great either... some of the columns "fade" out in that pic

yeah, because i didnt color correct nor color balance and i didnt take the picture :laugh:

but please, PLEASE show me a better version of the original without that HDR click on photoshop :shifty:

#25 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:12

yeah, because i didnt color correct nor color balance and i didnt take the picture :laugh:

but please, PLEASE show me a better version of the original without that HDR click on photoshop :shifty:

I wasn't saying you did it, I was just saying it looked bad

#26 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:16

It's funny how some of you found the photos "awesome", while others did not. I guess it is true when they say that we all see color and art differently. You can't make everybody happy.

My intentions were never to make the photos look "real", but sort of like a mix between a painting and reality, and for the one that said I used the Photoshop HDR button, I did not. I used Color Efex Pro 4 - http://www.niksoftwa...ntro/main.shtml

#27 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:23

It's funny how some of you found the photos "awesome", while others did not. I guess it is true when they say that we all see color and art differently. You can't make everybody happy.

My intentions were never to make the photos look "real", but sort of like a mix between a painting and reality, and for the one that said I used the Photoshop HDR button, I did not. I used Color Efex Pro 4 - http://www.niksoftwa...ro%2Fmain.shtml

Two more of my cents, if you want to turn a picture into a painting, take pictures of things that would normally be painted.

Or, if you want to go for the "not quite real" effect, take pictures of seemingly abstract things. For example, that car in the first photo is clearly well maintained, a photo of a reflection off of the car could look awesome in HDR. One of the most amazing parts of that command module are the very delicate structures which keep them together, a picture of that or one of the other odd engineering structures on it might make for a more interesting subject than just a straight shot of the module.

#28 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:26

Two more of my cents, if you want to turn a picture into a painting, take pictures of things that would normally be painted.

Or, if you want to go for the "not quite real" effect, take pictures of seemingly abstract things. For example, that car in the first photo is clearly well maintained, a photo of a reflection off of the car could look awesome in HDR. One of the most amazing parts of that command module are the very delicate structures which keep them together, a picture of that or one of the other odd engineering structures on it might make for a more interesting subject than just a straight shot of the module.

(Y)

#29 streetw0lf

streetw0lf

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:26

I wonder if a young Picasso posted some of his artwork here he would have gone into another line of business based on the remarks. :-)

#30 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:27

Before:
Old.jpg

Happily ever After:
DIDNEYWORL2013.png

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!