• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:59

I use Opera with up to 50 tabs. never less than 20-30, I'm not seeing this laggy or crash prone you speak of. on any of the many computers I run it on.

#47 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:21

Hey guys, I' ve immersed myself in Chome for the past few days and I'm sticking with it, for now. It works great with all the websites I use, it's really fast, adblock works like a treat, it's stable - even the canary version (atleast for me). Couple of sticking points though. From the top of my head:

- I use an extension for mouse gestures and it works pretty good. Though when I open Speed Dial (another extension) I can't close it with a gesture, Doesn't treat it like a tab. Which means I have to use the keyboard.
- The Speed Dial itself is much more powerful than the one in Opera, but there's a minuscule lag every time I open a new tab and it shows up. Not a big lag, but still annoying.
- Tab management is idiotic in Chome. Ctrl+Tab cycles all tabs not just between the most recent two, and I'm SOOO missing my rightclick+scroll tab list that's present in Opera. Can't believe no one made an extension for that yet. Hate using my keyboard for just browsing.
-No quick access to closed tabs (ctrl+shift+t brings up just the last closed that, won't say it's usless but I could do with more)

Little things that worked great in Opera and I grew fond of them. Not quite deal breakers though. Haven't had time yet to install the Toolbox, will do toight. If anyone has any other good pointers how to correct any of the aforementioned problems, please share.

Thanks!

#48 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 03 February 2013 - 23:18

Opera x64

#49 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 February 2013 - 23:23

Chrome is one of those crap things that would be a part of why it would take days to fix those machines!!

Most problems I see get caused by IE and it's crappy management of plugins. Since it's been released I've only had to fix one computer in which the owner had a problem with Chrome, and even then the problem was that her profile somehow got corrupted. I used Opera for 5 years and loved it, but in the end too many things just didn't work well enough in it for my liking and I switched over to Chrome. And surprisingly, despite people's fearmongering I'm 3 years into my use of Chrome and Google haven't stolen any of my data yet :o

#50 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05

Most problems I see get caused by IE and it's crappy management of plugins. Since it's been released I've only had to fix one computer in which the owner had a problem with Chrome, and even then the problem was that her profile somehow got corrupted. I used Opera for 5 years and loved it, but in the end too many things just didn't work well enough in it for my liking and I switched over to Chrome. And surprisingly, despite people's fearmongering I'm 3 years into my use of Chrome and Google haven't stolen any of my data yet :o

My main issue with Opera was page rendering. Always one of my favorite sites wouldn't work with Opera and their answer was always "email the developer and tell him to make his site standards compliant." That's fine in a imaginary world but doesn't work in the real world. In the real world it just has to work.

#51 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:21

My main issue with Opera was page rendering. Always one of my favorite sites wouldn't work with Opera and their answer was always "email the developer and tell him to make his site standards compliant." That's fine in a imaginary world but doesn't work in the real world. In the real world it just has to work.

What pages Opera fails to render exactly, please show us some example, I use Opera since 2007. I want to see how are they an impediment to anything in the real world.

#52 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:23

The only opera alternative I found was... opera :/

#53 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:11

My main issue was with Facebook, it seemed to take them ages to start fixing how Opera worked with Facebook. I don't know if they've fixed the problems now as I use Chrome as I feel it fits my needs better these days but having sites occasionally breaking annoyed me. I understand their argument that sometimes it's the developers but to me it's not relevant. If sites break in a certain product, that product isn't for me. Hopefully when XP and IE6 die completely this situation will improve.

#54 OP Slycer

Slycer

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10

So. I'm still with Chrome. Must say I missed Opera a lot the first few weeks, but now I'm cruising. Apart from the way Opera handles tabs (right mouse click + scroll) I don't miss anything. Browser seems to work much smoother too and has yet to crash.

All in all, Chrome is a good replacement.

#55 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:15

I'd say fix your machine first before blaming Opera as I use it all the time, and have sinve version 5, and have NEVER had a crash or ANY of the things you mention!

What? I've been on Opera since ver 6. something and even I've had crashes trough out the years with all the machines I've had, so now all my machines have had problems but Opera is top-notch? Please..

Since 11.x the memory hogging has been crazy mad. Then I went to 12 Alpha and there it was fixed, once 12 actually came out of BETA it was back again.

#56 desired display name

desired display name

Neowinian

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:21

Why not wait a month or two and use the new webkit engine in an Opera Next build? I'm perfectly sure Opera will continue using its beloved mouse gestures, mail client and everything else with the new engine. The only thing changing is what you consider being web site compatibility, which will be identical with Chrome after the next build. Win.

Why bother changing to Chrome and spend quite some time configuring it to resemble Opera when Opera will switch to the same engine in a few months? I've tried to configure Chrome and Firefox to behave similar to Opera, but it always breaks.

#57 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17

Why not wait a month or two and use the new webkit engine in an Opera Next build?

I'm actually looking forward to that release. Opera might win me back with this.

#58 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:12

Now that Opera is switching to Webkit Blink I'm worried that I'm going to lose all the features I'm used to.

Is there any way to get most of Opera's features in another browser through extensions? Stuff like mouse gestures is easy, but what about not reloading when navigating back or single-key shortcuts to navigate back and forward with z/x or switch tabs with 1/2?

Is Firefox my best bet due to its extensions being infinitely more powerful than Chrome's?

#59 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:54

Is Firefox my best bet due to its extensions being infinitely more powerful than Chrome's?

Probably. Firefox has the most awesome extensions. Chrome is coming along but not completely there yet, though I would rather use it than Firefox.