Website routing through different gateway.

Hi.

I think this is a simple one but want to check my train of thought.

I am in the middle of a data centre change and part of this is a new ISP. Now out of the blue I am being asked to route one of our teams traffic through the new GW for a single site until the migration is complete when everyone will be going through the same GW. Can I use the HOST file and persistent routing to achieve this?

e.g. In the HOST file, 12.23.34.45 www.secure-site.com

Then route add 12.23.34.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.250 -p

Will this work, is it the easiest route and can this be pushed out using scripts?

sounds good. Test it out on a machine first then you can add it to a script, but you may be better off doing it at the router or the switch, which ever manages the routes for the site.

If they are off-site accessing this, you may be able to create a batch file or a zip file that will execute and extract.

why do you need the host file? Is this a different IP for www.secure-site.com that would normally resolve? Or does that site not resolve to that IP you want to use via normal means.

Do these clients use a proxy to access the internet?

Is this 192.168.10.250 gateway on the same segment as the clients you want to use that gw, ie are they on 192.168.10 ?

Thanks guys.

sc302, waiting for the info regarding the actual site address and URL. then I will test.

BudMan, Still waiting for the full details, not sure how they have this setup.

Now here is the killer. I am told that this site is so secure that we have to give them our public IP hence the need to route this site through the new and soon to be used GW before the migration is complete. However, it only works with IE6. The other tool we have to use is a different site and requires IE9 with Silverlight. No problem Win 7 with XP mode, just found it amusing that the secure site only works with IE6.