Dog sentenced to death because he is 'gay'

A dog is set to be put to death in Tennessee today after his owner abandoned him because he thought he was gay. :/

The pitbull-type hound is currently languishing in an overcrowded animal shelter in Jackson but is due to be put this afternoon down unless a new owner can be found at the last minute.

According to the owner of the shelter, the dog's master noticed him 'hunched over' another male dog, which led him to assume he was gay.

While dogs are known to occasionally display homosexual behaviour, animal experts say a male dog mounting another male dog is not a sign of sexual orientation but rather a sign of dominance.

The dog's fate has sparked a frantic appeal among animal lovers to find a new owner before it's too late.

A Facebook page has been set up with the message: 'Don't let this gorgeous dog die bc his owner is ignorant of normal dog behavior!

'He's in kennel 10L and he WILL be put down tomorrow bc there is no room at the inn!'

'they (shelter) open at 9 a.m. and he will die by 1 p.m. if not adopted as he was an owner surrender.

'Adoption fee is 38.00 and that only includes a voucher for a rabies shot. He looks to be a pit/american bulldog mix.'

While a male dog mounting another male dog is not considered conclusive evidence of homosexuality, biologists have recorded same-sex sexual activity in more than 450 species including flamingos, bison, beetles and warthogs.

Dear god, someone out there stop this madness:

Shelter location:

Jackson Rabies Control, 146 Miller Ave., in Jackson TN.

Apparently, someone did adopt this poor dog:

Facebook post ...

Nancy Hausserman This is just so sad it's beyond words. I am so glad he has been saved. Now if someone could only save his stupid ****ing ignorant owner. I'm sitting her banging my head on the table.<<thud>> to the stupid POS that turned him in for his "gay" behavior.

more

post-37120-0-98934600-1359649982.jpg

dog: pitbull

owner: homophobic

state: Tennessee

I can't help but forming a very clear image of this guy in my mind that is entirely based on prejudices but is probably totally right.

• Like 3

well he is not being put to death because he is gay. he is being put to death because that what animal shelters do when over crowded. Animals are killed off all the time. Slow news day.

Sure, but if the owner hadn't sent him to the shelter they wouldn't have to kill him because they are over crowded.

dog presents "gay" behaviour -> owner doesn't like it -> owner brings dog to shelter -> shelter finds no owner for a pitbull -> shelter has to kill dog

See, logically, the shelter has to kill the dog because he is gay.

dog: pitbull

owner: homophobic

state: Tennessee

I can't help but forming a very clear image of this guy in my mind that is entirely based on prejudices but is probably totally right.

Agreed. It's horrible, but if someone is going to be prejudiced against another they have no right complaining about people drawing conclusions about him... This is a really horrible story. I hope someone adopts this dog. If I were closer I would...

well he is not being put to death because he is gay. he is being put to death because that what animal shelters do when over crowded. Animals are killed off all the time. Slow news day.

And he is in the shelter why?? LOL

Sure, but if the owner hadn't sent him to the shelter they wouldn't have to kill him because they are over crowded.

dog presents "gay" behaviour -> owner doesn't like it -> owner brings dog to shelter -> shelter finds no owner for a pitbull -> shelter has to kill dog

See, logically, the shelter has to kill the dog because he is gay.

Shelter has to kill the dog because the former owner was a douche and too immature to own such a majestic beast. Dogs give 100% unconditional love. His former owner gave 100% douchebaggery.

• Like 1

They don't do that anymore where I live.

Article title is a bit sensational...

A owner abandoned a dog because he thought it was gay.

The shelter is putting down the dog because it can't find a new owner (a very common practice).

Very glad someone was able to rescue him.

:D

'Gay' dog in Tennessee shelter gets speedy adoption after story

Stop calling the Madison County animal shelter ? the gay bulldog was adopted hours ago.

The Jackson, Tenn., shelter was flooded with phone calls :happy: after a story on the website Gawker went viral, a man who answered the phone there said.

?I have had about 10 million calls this morning. It has been adopted already. It is gone,? he said. ?He?s in good hands.?

The story cited a Facebook post that claimed the dog?s former owner dropped it off at the shelter because it humped another male dog.

http://www.tennessea...ory?sf9102831=1

Wow -- that story really cleaned out my sinuses.

The shelter is putting down the dog because it can't find a new owner (a very common practice).

Yea Hum seems to be slipping in his old age. :)

An owner abandoned a dog at a shelter and the owner of the shelter claims it is because the owner thought it was gay. Could just be an animal lover being creative in finding a good way to get interest in their animals. No way to tell since we only got one side of the story.

And he is in the shelter why?? LOL

Because he was abandoned. People do this all the time. After easter tons of pet rabbits are left out in the wild to survive on thier own after the owners grow tired of having them. Cats, dogs are left out after owners cannot find others to take them or just not care.

Great that he found an owner but how many other dogs are being put down today in the same place.

Got as far as A dog is set to be put to death in Tennessee. Stopped at tennessee

Sensational ???

The life or death on an innocent animal because of human stupidity is something to get excited about.

Sorry if I came off a bit cold, the story does pull on my emotions as a pet owner myself, but the reality is we blind ourselves to the standard practice of killing animals in shelters if there not adopted by a certain time or under certain conditions.

Sensational title and article.

Sad that this dog might be put down ,but so are millions of others, and its NOT because they're gay

Yeah, but who in their right mind gives up a perfectly normal dog because they think it's gay? Every dog i knew at one point or another humped everything including my couch. Doesn't mean my dog had a sexual fetish involving couches!