reddit gratuity pastor

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,670 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:49

A person claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that their work for God absolved them of having to leave one.

A photo of the receipt, posted to Reddit.com, shows a bill for $34.93 that included an automatic 18 percent gratuity ($6.29) above a blank space for an additional tip.

"I give God 10%," the diner wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip. "Why do you get 18?" The person then wrote "Pastor" above their signature, and an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be.

The Reddit user who submitted the image explained in the comments section that the receipt was part of a total bill of over $200 for a party of 20, which is why the gratuity was automatically added.

“Parties up to eight ... may tip whatever they’d like, but larger parties receive an automatic gratuity," the server wrote. "It’s in the computer, it’s not something I do.”

The server added: “They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great. They just didn’t want to pay when the time came.”

source

#2 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• 2,531 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:58

This is why I'm getting sick and tired of so called religious people.

#3 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,788 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:01

honestly, tips anymore need to go away.... they where nice in the time when if you did a good job you got a tip.... now the whole mandatory tipping thing is BS... if you got bad service you shouldn't have to tip... and outragious tipping percentages as high as 40%!!!! I've seen that before at one place.... just make the darn food cost more and stop the tip system and pay the waiters/waitresses more per hour..... and if they are bad fire them

#4 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:06

I think its a cheek adding a tip to the bill, a tip is supposed to be if you think the waiter/waitress has gone above an beyond their duty to make you happy, not like you see on these films where the bell boy in a hotel will cough and wait for a tip

#5 KibosJ

KibosJ

Neowinian

• 1,472 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:06

Are you guys REQUIRED to pay this mandatory tip?

I know some places in the UK have tip amounts on the receipts but it isn't mandatory.

We also have places that charge a service charge on top of the price of food, which I think is just wrong. It should all be included in the price, never the less it has to be paid. I suppose this is quite like what you have.

#6 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:07

honestly, tips anymore need to go away.... they where nice in the time when if you did a good job you got a tip.... now the whole mandatory tipping thing is BS... if you got bad service you shouldn't have to tip... and outragious tipping percentages as high as 40%!!!! I've seen that before at one place.... just make the darn food cost more and stop the tip system and pay the waiters/waitresses more per hour..... and if they are bad fire them

I believe it's like this in the US because of some awesome laws(no doubt republican in origin), where they're allowed to pay these
people below min wage because the owner is allowed to calculate tips as part of the wages, so the more tips they're -given- by
people the less they're allowed to pay them in wages.

I could be way off on this, but that was my understanding of the situation in the US

#7 Navan

Navan

Neowinian

• 687 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:07

**** mandatory tipping.

#8 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,788 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:10

I believe it's like this in the US because of some awesome laws(no doubt republican in origin), where they're allowed to pay these
people below min wage because the owner is allowed to calculate tips as part of the wages, so the more tips they're -given- by
people the less they're allowed to pay them in wages.

I could be way off on this, but that was my understanding of the situation in the US

no, you are right on...

and the fact some resturants have went as far as calling the cops on people for not paying a tip and pressing charges as "theft" is BS... a tip IS NOT MANDATORY there is no law in the USA that says you have to tip.... yet some places act like there is

#9 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,670 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:14

"I give God 10%"

What bank does God use ?

#10 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,788 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:15

What bank does God use ?

use to be NBoCC... national bank of the Catholic Church...... ahem ah the middle ages...

#11 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:18

i don't think tips should not exist and defiantly not mandatory or expected. Do you tip your cashier? your teller at the bank? your carpet store? your plumber? the guy taking your order at McDonald's drive though? your doctor?

You should work for a wage, tips promote favoritism and low wages.

#12 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:20

A tip should be based on the quality of service you receive. I do not believe the Religious thing but I do not like a mandatory amount to give.

#13 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:20

My opinion is you only pay the tip amount you want, if the waitress/waiter did a great job. Wife and I usually do 15%. I remember the days when you tipped you left it on the table and it was safe sitting there till the waitress/waiter picked it up.

"I give God 10%"

What bank does God use ?

Bank of Heaven maybe? LOL!

#14 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:23

I believe it's like this in the US because of some awesome laws(no doubt republican in origin).....

Try again. It was the democrats. President Roosevelt signed it into law.

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,252 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:26

I normally tip 20, unless it is my sister then I normally tip her the amount of the bill.

If the service is bad, I will tip 2 cents. People tell me I should leave nothing, but I want the server to know I remembered, just their service sucked.