reddit gratuity pastor

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 4,490 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:26

A tip should be based on the quality of service you receive. I do not believe the Religious thing but I do not like a mandatory amount to give.

#17 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,596 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:26

I start the dinner at 25% and work from there. Having worked as a waiter, I have no issues with mandatory rates for large parties, religious or not. They are a pain and normally bad tippers.

If I had to rate though, certain minorities do seem to be much more of an issue than the religious. I'll write that off to cultural differences. ;)

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:27

This is why I'm getting sick and tired of so called religious people.

Some people are like that, but not all. My dad is very religious and goes out of his way to help people and to make sure others know they are doing a good job...when warranted. He gives is 10 percent to the church as well.

#19 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,150 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:28

I'll speak for some Christians here, but that "pastor" is an ass, there's no Biblical reason he can claim to make that idiotic comment, and like some have said, it just makes all Christians look really bad

#20 ScorpioRGc1

ScorpioRGc1

Neowinian Senior

• 1,616 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:28

Edit: I had said something, but re-read the article and had missed a part, so I take it back. Mandatory tips for large parties happens pretty much everywhere. ^_^

#21 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:29

just makes all Christians look really bad

I wouldnt call him a christian...pastor or not.

#22 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:32

Here's something I never really got when I moved from the UK (generally no tipping) to the US (generally always tip).
If I go into a restuarant and buy a $10 steak then I'm expected to leave a 20% tip if the waiter was good (as an example).
Now I go into the same restuarant, get the same waiter and the same service but this time I order a $50 steak. Why is it expected that I leave a larger tip just because I bought more expensive food?

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,664 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:33

Try again. It was the democrats. President Roosevelt signed it into law.

back in the day democrats where almost what republicans are now, it's amazing how much a party can flip in their ways

#24 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,340 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:40

back in the day democrats where almost what republicans are now, it's amazing how much a party can flip in their ways

Being the lowest of the low, the likely reason for that is they see the side that is currently popular and just call themselves that
While not changing their view/stance on issues.

PS: I don't really have a good view on politicians in general, they're always the type of people you don't want being politicians
and the people you want being politicians are the ones that don't want to be one. Totally off topic though, soooo, that's enough from me.

#25 RottGutt

RottGutt

I'm a geek. Deal with it.

• 350 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:41

This guy was obviously one of the "born again" types. I had to work with an office full of them at my last job, and although they consider themselves "true" Christians, they are the farthest thing from a Christian imaginable. A fine example of false religion in the world.

#26 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,921 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:46

I seen this reply to this story on another website and I just have to C&P it:

Let's examine how many of the seven deadly sins this pastor covered in this one act, shall we?

Gluttony? $34 for one meal sounds like appetizers, dessert, and perhaps even alcohol was added to the meal. Check.

Greed? Obvious check.

Sloth? Sometimes defined as a failure to so things one should do. So, check this one too.

Wrath? Definite uncontrolled feelings of rage here... towards the server. Check.

Pride? Signing it "Pastor" and bragging about giving money to his church definitely qualifies, don't you think? Another check.

Five out of seven isn't bad for one simple act. And this person is the spiritual "shepherd" of his flock?

Apparently, the women who posted this on reddit has been fired.

http://consumerist.c...fired-from-job/

#27 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:51

The "pastor" is a woman, who has only 15 members in her "church", which is a rented storefront.
She has apparently done a few interviews and apologized, not for her actions or to the waiter, but for her getting caught in such a shallow act.
To me, it seems like everything about her is a sham.
Hopefully the waitress can find a better job... Wait , I'm sure she can find a better job, as Applebees is horrible and no one should work or eat there.

#28 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,921 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:57

I think the most obvious response should be "why does the supreme creator of the universe need your 10%?"

#29 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,697 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:57

I do not understand is he is religious figure....shouldn't he be giving 100%

#30 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,623 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:00

no, you are right on...

and the fact some resturants have went as far as calling the cops on people for not paying a tip and pressing charges as "theft" is BS... a tip IS NOT MANDATORY there is no law in the USA that says you have to tip.... yet some places act like there is

Its illegal in some places, like Oregon, to underpay your staff because they earn tips. So waitstaff here make $9 an hour and still expect tips.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!