• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#31 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,404 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:02

Well since this waitress was let go for yet another retarded reason simply because the company needed to save face, I really want to say "Good job Applebee's. You've now lost one more customer to this incident"...but I don't really need to. I've only been to an Applebee's one time in my life, and I vowed never to go back. It's a terrible restaurant.

Also, I'm all for having to pay tips on top of food cost because it makes wait staff more attentive and cordial. If they are neither, then they get no tip or pennies..and that hardly ever happens because they need the money. I can only count on one hand the number times in my life that I have received poor service at a restaurant...in the US. The same can definitely not be said about other places where tips are not expected or encouraged.

#32 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,650 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:10

I never did understand the whole tipping thing.
Sure if I'm in a restaurant or bar, and the chick serving is hot, I might give her a tip.
But personally, I don't think it should be done. I never get tipped at my jobs for working my @ss off.

#33 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,797 posts

Well since this waitress was let go for yet another retarded reason simply because the company needed to save face, I really want to say "Good job Applebee's.

Not that I respect the franchise more for its actions, I have to agree with their reasoning. A customer's personal information was disclosed to the public, contrary to the company's policies. They have every right to fire the waiter for that.

#34 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Tips are not mandatory and forcing you to pay for them is by definition theft. Management has to take it off the check if you refuse to pay it or you can sue the company. Granted, all of this can by subject to various laws, both on a state and local level.

As far as I am concerned, I usually tip 35% unless the service is bad. With bad service I pay 15%. When someone tries and puts a "mandatory" tip on my bill, I pay 0%.

#35 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:15

You can tell the people that have never worked a day of restaurant work in their lives. Just tip don't be such cheap *******s. Its not like tips are a lot.

#36 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:18

You can tell the people that have never worked a day of restaurant work in their lives. Just tip don't be such cheap *******s. Its not like tips are a lot.

I worked in a restaurant for the first 2 years of college. If you are rude or give ****ty service, you usually don't get a tip. That is the fact of the job. Forcing your customers to tip is rude. Simple as that.

#37 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,825 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:22

If you want to see the end of tips, you have to start paying a living wage.

#38 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,153 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:34

This is why I'm getting sick and tired of so called religious people.

And this is why I am sick and tired of these so-called anti-religious "activists".

If I wrote that I am Chinese and I pay no more than 10% to custom (Which is true to our culture), I bet no one would be like, "This is why I hate all Chinese people", which is considered hate speech. Double standards FTW.

I am not defending this person though, saying you are a pastor and saying you pay no more than 10% is a poor excuse of being cheap. On the other hand, mandatory tipping is BS. It keeps creeping up. Back then it was 10%, then it became 15, and now it's mandatory 18? Wtf?

#39 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:37

And this is why I am sick and tired of these so-called anti-religious "activists".

If I wrote that I am Chinese and I pay no more than 10% to custom (Which is true to our culture), I bet no one would be like, "This is why I hate all Chinese people", which is considered hate speech. Double standards FTW.

You don't understand double standards huh?

Christianity is built upon helping the helpless, charity, giving to the poor, and essentially being selfless. This Christian ressembled none of those traits, but still flaunted that she was a "preacher".
If a chinese person only left 10% of a tip because that is what their culture does, they would be following what they believed. Christians believe 1 thing, then act a totally different way.
Learn the difference.

#40 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,404 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Not that I respect the franchise more for its actions, I have to agree with their reasoning. A customer's personal information was disclosed to the public, contrary to the company's policies. They have every right to fire the waiter for that.

If you read the article, the waitress who posted the receipt did so without revealing who the customer was or the waitress who served her. The only thing that MIGHT be considered revealing is the signature, but as the picture showed and she explained, it was too illegible to be of any use. No one found out who the customer was or anything.

#41 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,031 posts

I never did understand the whole tipping thing.
Sure if I'm in a restaurant or bar, and the chick serving is hot, I might give her a tip.
But personally, I don't think it should be done. I never get tipped at my jobs for working my @ss off.

Do you get paid full pay for your job? Most of the service type industry, restaurants, bars, delivery type jobs, ect... don't pay their workers minimum wage, they include the tips as part of that wage. Many of those places even pool the tips or share them with say the bus boy or kitchen help, which cuts more into someone's daily wage even more. So instead of just tip based on someone being hot or not, tip knowing that it's the right thing to do.

#42 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,825 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:41

I am not defending this person though, saying you are a pastor and saying you pay no more than 10% is a poor excuse of being cheap. On the other hand, mandatory tipping is BS. It keeps creeping up. Back then it was 10%, then it became 15, and now it's mandatory 18? Wtf?

Absurd comparison.

#43 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,577 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:44

Here's something I never really got when I moved from the UK (generally no tipping) to the US (generally always tip).
If I go into a restuarant and buy a $10 steak then I'm expected to leave a 20% tip if the waiter was good (as an example).
Now I go into the same restuarant, get the same waiter and the same service but this time I order a $50 steak. Why is it expected that I leave a larger tip just because I bought more expensive food?

makes too much sense :)

#44 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,650 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:46

Do you get paid full pay for your job? Most of the service type industry, restaurants, bars, delivery type jobs, ect... don't pay their workers minimum wage, they include the tips as part of that wage. Many of those places even pool the tips or share them with say the bus boy or kitchen help, which cuts more into someone's daily wage even more. So instead of just tip based on someone being hot or not, tip knowing that it's the right thing to do.

The people that don't make much money at their job chose that job, therefore the best "tip", is get a better job.
Same thing goes for me, I've always worked my @ss off for what I make and have envied those who make more and work less, but it's my fault for choosing to do what I do.

#45 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:49

On the other hand, mandatory tipping is BS. It keeps creeping up. Back then it was 10%, then it became 15, and now it's mandatory 18? Wtf?

When the cost of living goes up, it tends to affect the lower income more so and those in the service industry are not known for rolling in the dough. If you read the article the mandatory 18% is for larger parties, which is pretty standard at most restaurants. You might want to consider why tipping increases before whining about it.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!