A person claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that their work for God absolved them of having to leave one.

A photo of the receipt, posted to Reddit.com, shows a bill for $34.93 that included an automatic 18 percent gratuity ($6.29) above a blank space for an additional tip.

"I give God 10%," the diner wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip. "Why do you get 18?" The person then wrote "Pastor" above their signature, and an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be.

The Reddit user who submitted the image explained in the comments section that the receipt was part of a total bill of over $200 for a party of 20, which is why the gratuity was automatically added.

?Parties up to eight ... may tip whatever they?d like, but larger parties receive an automatic gratuity," the server wrote. "It?s in the computer, it?s not something I do.?

The server added: ?They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great. They just didn?t want to pay when the time came.?

source

honestly, tips anymore need to go away.... they where nice in the time when if you did a good job you got a tip.... now the whole mandatory tipping thing is BS... if you got bad service you shouldn't have to tip... and outragious tipping percentages as high as 40%!!!! I've seen that before at one place.... just make the darn food cost more and stop the tip system and pay the waiters/waitresses more per hour..... and if they are bad fire them

I think its a cheek adding a tip to the bill, a tip is supposed to be if you think the waiter/waitress has gone above an beyond their duty to make you happy, not like you see on these films where the bell boy in a hotel will cough and wait for a tip

Are you guys REQUIRED to pay this mandatory tip?

I know some places in the UK have tip amounts on the receipts but it isn't mandatory.

We also have places that charge a service charge on top of the price of food, which I think is just wrong. It should all be included in the price, never the less it has to be paid. I suppose this is quite like what you have.

honestly, tips anymore need to go away.... they where nice in the time when if you did a good job you got a tip.... now the whole mandatory tipping thing is BS... if you got bad service you shouldn't have to tip... and outragious tipping percentages as high as 40%!!!! I've seen that before at one place.... just make the darn food cost more and stop the tip system and pay the waiters/waitresses more per hour..... and if they are bad fire them

I believe it's like this in the US because of some awesome laws(no doubt republican in origin), where they're allowed to pay these

people below min wage because the owner is allowed to calculate tips as part of the wages, so the more tips they're -given- by

people the less they're allowed to pay them in wages.

I could be way off on this, but that was my understanding of the situation in the US

I believe it's like this in the US because of some awesome laws(no doubt republican in origin), where they're allowed to pay these

people below min wage because the owner is allowed to calculate tips as part of the wages, so the more tips they're -given- by

people the less they're allowed to pay them in wages.

I could be way off on this, but that was my understanding of the situation in the US

no, you are right on...

and the fact some resturants have went as far as calling the cops on people for not paying a tip and pressing charges as "theft" is BS... a tip IS NOT MANDATORY there is no law in the USA that says you have to tip.... yet some places act like there is

i don't think tips should not exist and defiantly not mandatory or expected. Do you tip your cashier? your teller at the bank? your carpet store? your plumber? the guy taking your order at McDonald's drive though? your doctor?

You should work for a wage, tips promote favoritism and low wages.

My opinion is you only pay the tip amount you want, if the waitress/waiter did a great job. Wife and I usually do 15%. I remember the days when you tipped you left it on the table and it was safe sitting there till the waitress/waiter picked it up.

"I give God 10%"

What bank does God use ?

Bank of Heaven maybe? LOL!

I normally tip 20, unless it is my sister then I normally tip her the amount of the bill.

If the service is bad, I will tip 2 cents. People tell me I should leave nothing, but I want the server to know I remembered, just their service sucked.

• Like 2

I start the dinner at 25% and work from there. Having worked as a waiter, I have no issues with mandatory rates for large parties, religious or not. They are a pain and normally bad tippers.

If I had to rate though, certain minorities do seem to be much more of an issue than the religious. I'll write that off to cultural differences. ;)

This is why I'm getting sick and tired of so called religious people.

Some people are like that, but not all. My dad is very religious and goes out of his way to help people and to make sure others know they are doing a good job...when warranted. He gives is 10 percent to the church as well.

• Like 1

I'll speak for some Christians here, but that "pastor" is an ass, there's no Biblical reason he can claim to make that idiotic comment, and like some have said, it just makes all Christians look really bad

• Like 2

Edit: I had said something, but re-read the article and had missed a part, so I take it back. Mandatory tips for large parties happens pretty much everywhere. ^_^

Here's something I never really got when I moved from the UK (generally no tipping) to the US (generally always tip).

If I go into a restuarant and buy a $10 steak then I'm expected to leave a 20% tip if the waiter was good (as an example).

Now I go into the same restuarant, get the same waiter and the same service but this time I order a $50 steak. Why is it expected that I leave a larger tip just because I bought more expensive food?

• Like 2

Try again. It was the democrats. President Roosevelt signed it into law.

back in the day democrats where almost what republicans are now, it's amazing how much a party can flip in their ways

back in the day democrats where almost what republicans are now, it's amazing how much a party can flip in their ways

Being the lowest of the low, the likely reason for that is they see the side that is currently popular and just call themselves that

While not changing their view/stance on issues.

PS: I don't really have a good view on politicians in general, they're always the type of people you don't want being politicians

and the people you want being politicians are the ones that don't want to be one. Totally off topic though, soooo, that's enough from me.

This guy was obviously one of the "born again" types. I had to work with an office full of them at my last job, and although they consider themselves "true" Christians, they are the farthest thing from a Christian imaginable. A fine example of false religion in the world.