35 posts in this topic

Posted

First I want to say I started off likeing labor unions and to some degree they are a neccesity and a good thing. However I have become to more and more hate labor unions because the workers are lazy and abuse it.

I work for a company in the US that has a very strong Union. I have to pay my dues and I actually get punished for having a good work ethic and show up for work. Most of the union employees are paid so much money so they call in sick every single Monday and Friday so they get a very long weekend. They get there sick pay, plus paid vacation time and then they will also sign up for family medical leave act so they get another 12 weeks off on top of that. So in total most of the workers thru out the year will take off 12-16 weeks off a year and mostly that being spread out by calling in sick every Monday and every Friday. Then they will take off a few weeks full in summer time and Christmas.

What bothers me is that our company is struggling to meet customer demands because our busiest days are Mondays and Fridays and we are loosing bussiness as we dont have enough people on these days. It does not matter if the company hires more people becuase they get in the union, get the high pay and will also call in sick every monday and friday.

I am a casual at this company so I do the same work but do not get the high pay ( i dont wan to do this job my whole life as it is very pyhsical labor )

Basically what im saying is I am sick and tired of paying expensive Union Dues every month and then EVERY Monday and Friday having to work 12 hour days because of everyone calling in sick. I am tired of being PUNISHED by having a good work ethic who actually shows up to work. I also have to work much harder because of everyone calls in sick to much. I know for a fact they are not sick.

Anyone else have bad experiances with labour unions? Most of the union companies in this industry have gone bankrupt and only a few are left ( jeez I wonder why ). Like I said unions are mostly a good thingi for giving good wages but in many cases the unions are so powerfull and the workers abuse the privladges and never show up to work hardly and anyone who has a good work ethic has to pay the price literally. I would like to be home with my family and friends like everyone else but instead of doing 8 hour days im forced 12 because of laziness.

Posted

[quote name='nukenorman' timestamp='1359659332' post='595492886']
First I want to say I started off likeing labor unions and to some degree they are a neccesity and a good thing. However I have become to more and more hate labor unions because the workers are lazy and abuse it.

I work for a company in the US that has a very strong Union. I have to pay my dues and I actually get punished for having a good work ethic and show up for work. Most of the union employees are paid so much money so they call in sick every single Monday and Friday so they get a very long weekend. They get there sick pay, plus paid vacation time and then they will also sign up for family medical leave act so they get another 12 weeks off on top of that. So in total most of the workers thru out the year will take off 12-16 weeks off a year and mostly that being spread out by calling in sick every Monday and every Friday. Then they will take off a few weeks full in summer time and Christmas.

What bothers me is that our company is struggling to meet customer demands because our busiest days are Mondays and Fridays and we are loosing bussiness as we dont have enough people on these days. It does not matter if the company hires more people becuase they get in the union, get the high pay and will also call in sick every monday and friday.

I am a casual at this company so I do the same work but do not get the high pay ( i dont wan to do this job my whole life as it is very phsical labor )

Basically what im saying is I am sick and tired of paying expensive Union Dues every month and then EVERY Monday and Friday having to work 12 hour days because of everyone calling in sick. I am tired of being PUNISHED by having a good work ethic who actually shows up to work. I also have to work much harder because of everyone calls in sick to much. I know for a fact they are not sick.

Anyone else have bad experiances with labour unions? Most of the union companies in this industry have gone bankrupt and only a few are left ( jeez I wonder why ). Like I said unions are mostly a good thingi for giving good wages but in many cases the unions are so powerfull and the workers abuse the privladges and never show up to work hardly and anyone who has a good work ethic has to pay the price literally. I would like to be home with my family and friends like everyone else but instead of doing 8 hour days im forced 12 because of laziness.
[/quote]

The problem is that your blaming all unions on the fact yours stinks. Family medical leave act does not guarantee you getting paid. Usually you will only get paid if you have the vacation days . So those 12 weeks most likely will be unpaid. Its your companies fault for agreeing with the contracted terms .

Just because an employee is in a union does not guarantee them not getting fired. If they are taking days off that they do not have then that's the companies fault for not writing them up. Also its the companies fault for letting those employees take every Friday and Monday off.

Posted

Modern labor union is extremelly bad for business. It's the mafia mentality

Posted

[quote name='2xSilverKnight' timestamp='1359659772' post='595492912']
[/quote]

You do realize that a lot of the things and days off people in the US have now is because of those labor unions. Things like 8 hour work days, vacation days, sick days are all things labor unions in the US faught for .
1 person likes this

Posted

I've been involved with two separate Union jobs, both Unions have been THE most corrupt and useless organizations I've had to deal with

I'm glad to now be in an industry where Unions are nonexistent or I'd be in for another career change, most if not all the people I've worked with that have been forced to join a Union other than the "leadership" have hated the Union and everything they stand for, starting to realize my experiences are not that rare after all, the Unions blow and that's all there is to it

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359659632' post='595492906']
The problem is that your blaming all unions on the fact yours stinks. Family medical leave act does not guarantee you getting paid. Usually you will only get paid if you have the vacation days . So those 12 weeks most likely will be unpaid. Its your companies fault for agreeing with the contracted terms .

Just because an employee is in a union does not guarantee them not getting fired. If they are taking days off that they do not have then that's the companies fault for not writing them up. Also its the companies fault for letting those employees take every Friday and Monday off.
[/quote]

They are not paid when taking medical leave act but because they are union they make so much money so they can afford to call in sick 12-16 weeks a year. FMLA act is a federal thing so they can not be fired and even wiithout the FMLA act it is almost impossible to fire someone with this union. Like I said I like unions in general but it gets me upset when the power is abused so much. My father was in this same union and it provided a decent standard of living when I grew up.Its the abuse of the unon workers where I work at and most abuse it that makes me upset. The company is also loosing money because of it but they do not care as they say they all make so much money and that they will all be retired at 55 and so they dont care about the company going bankrupt.

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359659893' post='595492918']
You do realize that a lot of the things and days off people in the US have now is because of those labor unions. Things like 8 hour work days, vacation days, sick days are all things labor unions in the US faught for .
[/quote]

You do realize you can't read properly ? I said MODERN. As in 21st century

Today's Unions are almost all corrupt to the bones. They are controlled by the mafia

Posted

[/quote]

Wow I wish my union had an 8 hour work day that would be nice. 60 hour weeksk are the norm for my union because of eveyrone calling in sick.

All my friends with NON union jobs get 8 hour work days cause they can not call in sick every monday and friday as they would get fired.

Posted

Labor unions *used* to be good for workers about 60 years ago and prior. These days they are entirely unneeded, and in fact hurt workers more than help. They don't fight for you, they're out to get rich off of you.

Posted

[quote name='ScorpioRGc1' timestamp='1359660448' post='595492966']
Labor unions *used* to be good for workers about 60 years ago and prior. These days they are entirely unneeded, and in fact hurt workers more than help. They don't fight for you, they're out to get rich off of you.
[/quote]

To be fair you are half correct yes the unions are for themselves but they only get richer the unions when the workers make more cause they get more in union does. The union companies in my industry to get paid more and retire at 55. So yes the unions are for themselves but it also benefits the worker as well. I just dont like when the workers become so lazy that they abuse the power and privledge. Needs to be some balance. Hopefully next contract the language changes so they can be fired if there is a pattern of calling in sick every monday and friday.

I do find it ridiciouls that a truck driver at my company makes as much money as a airplane pilot!! 120,000 a year and most of them do not travel farther than 2 states as they drop off the trailer at a drop off location and are home every day.

Posted

[/quote]So what you are saying is now they are no longer needed right?

Posted

Unions here ( Honduras, Central America) are usually paid off... And/or unions only fight for their "senior" members...

Posted

[quote name='ScorpioRGc1' timestamp='1359660448' post='595492966']
[/quote]

Have you seen what republicans are doing in non union states? They recently got rid of the laws in some states guaranteeing women the same wages as men. Without unions sticking up for everybody the laws that give you things like 8 hour days will be repealed.

Posted

To those who say they are no longer needed, all I will say is I wonder how long it would take big business to force the government to remove workers rights. I reckon not long at all. Indeed it has already been suggested over here in the UK. So be careful what you wish for.

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359661686' post='595493030']
Without unions sticking up for everybody the laws that give you things like 8 hour days will be repealed.
[/quote]
[citation needed]

Posted

[quote name='ozzy76' timestamp='1359662033' post='595493050']
[citation needed]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/scott-walker-wisconsin-equal-pay-law_n_1407329.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/scott-walker-wisconsin-equal-pay-law_n_1407329.html[/url]

That is the state that repealed the equal pay laws .

Posted

[quote name='2xSilverKnight' timestamp='1359659772' post='595492912']
[/quote]

Precisely my feelings. There is no such thing as a good union. Only the very misinformed would ever defend these extortion machines.

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359662527' post='595493068']
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/scott-walker-wisconsin-equal-pay-law_n_1407329.html"]http://www.huffingto..._n_1407329.html[/url]

That is the state that repealed the equal pay laws .
[/quote]
I was referring to "8 hour days will be repealed", not the equal pay.

Posted

[quote name='Nogib' timestamp='1359662574' post='595493070']
Precisely my feelings. There is no such thing as a good union. Only the very misinformed would ever defend these extortion machines.
[/quote]

Ok if I am misinfgormed then why are the republicans repealing the same laws that unions faught for that got people rights as workers. Just look at the link I posted . People defend their no unions stance stating the government would never would go back to 20 hour days , no overtime no sick time, no vacation time. Yet they are slowly doing just that. Just look at Wisconsin and ohio as an example.

Posted

[quote name='ozzy76' timestamp='1359662821' post='595493086']
I was referring to "8 hour days will be repealed", not the equal pay.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/fair-labor-standards-act-reform_n_898332.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/fair-labor-standards-act-reform_n_898332.html[/url]

Read that link. Then look at whats happening in states like wisonsin. All over republicans are slowly repealing the very laws that give people the rights they have now. Unions seem to be the only ones trying to stop them from doing this. Democrats are against it but are slowly losing their backbone and are letting this happen.

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359663480' post='595493110']
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/fair-labor-standards-act-reform_n_898332.html"]http://www.huffingto...m_n_898332.html[/url]

Read that link. Then look at whats happening in states like wisonsin. All over republicans are slowly repealing the very laws that give people the rights they have now. Unions seem to be the only ones trying to stop them from doing this. Democrats are against it but are slowly losing their backbone and are letting this happen.
[/quote]
Yep I read it and apart from it coming from the very biased Huffington post, all it basically says is that if you are salaried you don't get overtime pay. This happens to most salaried employees. They are not repealing the law or anything like what you are claiming.

Posted

[quote name='majortom1981' timestamp='1359663480' post='595493110']
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/fair-labor-standards-act-reform_n_898332.html"]http://www.huffingto...m_n_898332.html[/url]

Read that link.
[/quote]
Interesting. Have there been any new updates about their desire to repeal 8 hour days/min wage?

Posted

Unions/Unionist are what f**ked up our country in the 70s, If they don't like the job then leave.

Unionist is 5 mins work 30 mins tea break, bahh FOAD
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='ozzy76' timestamp='1359664056' post='595493134']
Interesting. Have there been any new updates about their desire to repeal 8 hour days/min wage?
[/quote]

I am not sure. Republicans like to hide things like that in other bills and I am too lazy to dig through their sites to find out. It usually doesn't make it to the press until the vote on the bill has happened.

The latest thing is republicans blocking federal laws that are trying to strengthen the federal laws on equal pay. Keep in mind some state laws close the loopholes in the 1963 law. Republicans are repealing those state laws.

Yes unions are bad for some things but good for others. Good unions make sure not to take advantage of things because that means layoffs which unions cannot stop. The ops union is only hurting itself because on the next contract negotiation the company will use these abuses to make the next contract worse.

Posted

I wont go as far as saying unions need to go away, but there certainly needs to be some reform. The largest union in NJ is the teachers union, one of the most corrupt organizations I know of. Where else can you pay almost nothing into your medical benefits (yet have some of the best in the state), tenure after such a short amount of time, and then once tenure is required there is little to no evaluations to remove ineffective teachers from their jobs. Finally Gov. Christie has added some teacher reform but its an absolute joke that state employees can make $80k a year and not need to be evaluated at the end of each school year. In my private sector job I am evaluated each year, if I have a poor performance I have X amount of time to improve or you are terminated. It is almost impossible (or not worth it financially) to remove a teacher from the payroll that has tenure. This is obviously only the teachers union but I am sure there are plenty of other unions that strong arm the company which employs its members.