Netflix "Unlocked" this weekend on Xbox

Netflix Unlocked this weekend on Xbox

Access to the Netflix app is unlocked this weekend on Xbox! Watch every episode of the new Netflix original series "House of Cards" premiering Feb. 1. Xbox will unlock the Netflix app, so all LIVE users with a Netflix subscription can watch all weekend long. (All Netflix regions)

"YAY!" :s :rolleyes: - It shouldn't require a Gold Subscription in the first place! :angry:

This part however is good news (even though they still screwed up a bit :pinch: )

Let Xbox join you for The Big Game

Super Bowl XLVII is right around the corner and starting today, Xbox will be bringing you exclusive content from some of your favorite entertainment providers. For the first time ever, this weekend users will be able to access Hulu without a subscription to Hulu Plus on Xbox!

Read more: http://majornelson.com/2013/01/31/netflix-unlocked-this-weekend-on-xbox/

I'm still unable to comprehend why you can't access netflix on 360 without gold membership. It seems like a bully type of tactic.

They do it for the same reason they charge you to do everything including free services. Greed.

Somewhat OT, but is IE still locked to Gold users?

I doubt I'd ever use it, but I can't for the life of me understand why it is locked away. At least, it was when I tried to install it awhile ago.

Somewhat OT, but is IE still locked to Gold users?

I doubt I'd ever use it, but I can't for the life of me understand why it is locked away. At least, it was when I tried to install it awhile ago.

yep, still gold only for IE

I have to wonder though, maybe with the next Xbox we'll see a good deal of changes to live to. This Netflix and Hulu plus weekend thing could be a good test to see how it goes. If they see a large spike in users then it might change the way they do things.

Nothing will change, they will continue to charge for something that everyone else gets for free, they have to do offers and incentives like this to make Gold sound worthwhile.

If Netflix, Hulu, Internet Explorer, etc.. were free how many people would pay Gold just to play online.

Nothing will change, they will continue to charge for something that everyone else gets for free, they have to do offers and incentives like this to make Gold sound worthwhile.

If Netflix, Hulu, Internet Explorer, etc.. were free how many people would pay Gold just to play online.

Why would it be just online play? They can do more around other things like GoD, and other offers. I also think we're going to get more of a app market for the next Xbox like on windows. If that happens then MS gets it's cut that way, less of a need to keep Netflix etc behind gold.

I have to wonder though, maybe with the next Xbox we'll see a good deal of changes to live to. This Netflix and Hulu plus weekend thing could be a good test to see how it goes. If they see a large spike in users then it might change the way they do things.

I think the point is why lock it away in the first place? Sony and Ninty don't. What does MS think it gains by doing so? It's also stupid the way they lock-up IE on the 360. Why make that a premium benefit?

Gold is probably a cash-cow for MS. I doubt they'd ditch it.

I hope Sony expands PS+ to have a Gold type online service and completely blind-side MS in the next gen consoles. PS+ is a great service, if they could also replicate MS' Gold service, they could really lay the boot in.

Xbox Live Gold is awesome and way better than Sony's online platform. I use my PS3 though to get streaming services without having to pay a rip-off secondary fee.

At least the BBC kicked their arse to make iPlayer free, I guess.

I'm glad I don't think I've ever seen anyone say putting Netflix behind the subscription is a good idea. Think this will go the way of the dodo next gen.

Found this image today so thought it was appropriate tot his thread. LOL I was thinking the same thing in regards to Hulu Plus being "free" also.

post-698-0-47272300-1359737653.jpg

It really isn't.

It's a matter of opinion. And obviously people are going to like the online feature of their console of choice.

Personally... I figure if Sony didn't allow free internet access, not as many people would have chosen Playstation in the first place.

On the other hand, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't allowed free access, but then again, it's not hurting them any, sales are and always will be high.

I'm watching House of Cards on Xbox right now. The interface looked amazing, but its laggy as crap. PS3 interface doesn't look as nice, but atleast there isnt any lag. Both are better then the Apple TV, thats for sure.

I pay for Gold and a Netflix subscription.

It seems to me this free weekend was poorly implemented. I've been watching Netflix on my Xbox for going on 3 years now and have never had issues with it.

Since Friday however, about every 4 hours, I'd try to start another episode of the TV series I was watching (Bones) and get an error that it couldn't start playback. This happened throughout the weekend.

They must have had more demand than they planned. Which is good for them, but annoying for me as a longtime paying customer.

I pay for Gold and a Netflix subscription.

It seems to me this free weekend was poorly implemented. I've been watching Netflix on my Xbox for going on 3 years now and have never had issues with it.

Since Friday however, about every 4 hours, I'd try to start another episode of the TV series I was watching (Bones) and get an error that it couldn't start playback. This happened throughout the weekend.

They must have had more demand than they planned. Which is good for them, but annoying for me as a longtime paying customer.

This is why I said that I think it was as much of a test of the service as it was a nice PR move. It should give them a clearer picture of how much demand is out there if people didn't have to pay twice.

• 3 weeks later...

I used my Xbox 360 to watch Netflix several months ago and it didn't require a gold membership...maybe the policy changes recently? But my experience was my DVD player worked better than Xbox when I watched TV shows on Netflix,

I used my Xbox 360 to watch Netflix several months ago and it didn't require a gold membership...maybe the policy changes recently? But my experience was my DVD player worked better than Xbox when I watched TV shows on Netflix,

They regularly run "free" Gold weekends where you can access Gold features and services for free for a short time. Since Netflix debuted on Xbox Live, it's always been a Gold-tier feature.

I've never had an issue watching Netflix through the Xbox until this free weekend (and a few days after). It would randomly tell me that the content was unavailable. I would retry a few times and it would eventually start playing, but it was annoying to say the least, since I've been a Gold sub for over 3 years and a Netflix sub for over 4.