Photo

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th

sony playstation trailer february media

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#46 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13

I honestly hope KZ4 isn't a launch title, if it is, I'm fugged :p
(poor financial planning, confounded with unforseen expenses)

#47 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 20 February 2013 - 00:08

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

That's actually not a bad idea. Incorporate something like people envisioned when Steam was supposedly coming to PS3. It would expand also on what was thought to (or did? I didn't follow it beyond reveal) come to the XPeria phone.

Howeva, rumor has it that there will be a Smartglass-like implementation of being able to use your phone or tablet to interface with your PS3. It probably won't be quite as expansive as Microsoft is going for, but the basics seem to be there.

#48 Razorwing

Razorwing

Rocket

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:48

So is the event going to be livestreamed? I haven't heard any times or where.. only the date.

#49 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:50

So is the event going to be livestreamed? I haven't heard any times or where.. only the date.

Think it was 6pm eastern, I forget what website tho, sorry

#50 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:51

i'd like to know as well

sony's been pretty good about streaming their stuff in the past so I'd say just keep an eye on their website

#51 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:01

It'll be at 6pm eastern as said above. I think IGN said they'll be streaming it and i would expect most other major gaming sites to be doing so as well.

#52 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:53

Really hope the rumored Nov release isn't true, should be earlier. Will be nice to have the new consoles enter the fray around springtime.

#53 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:26

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

I get that the Ouya is supposed to be a low end gaming option encouraging more Android game development, but if Sony could actually LEAD the way in terms of this on the high-end spectrum, it would be quite amazing. As it stands, people can hate on Apple all they want, but right now, gaming sucks on Android compared to iOS. I used to play on my iPod all the time, and with my GSII now, I've had more of a hard time finding games I actually want to play. I'd love for an Android push!

I wouldn't say it'd be the kiss of death to Microsoft, but it'd light the fire under their ass to get themselves in gear. I'm not too pleased with Microsoft lately, but I hope vicious competition brings something good from them just the same.

Can't wait to see what we find out tomorrow! :D

Posted Image

#54 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27

Found it!

http://uk.ign.com/ar...on-event-on-ign

#55 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37

For UK people they are apparently going to stream it here

#56 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:54

I really hope Sony gets right to business with the PS4 reveal. It'd be so boring if they start off talking about the history of the PlayStation brand or any non-PS4 console (e.g. PS3). I also hope they surprise us at the end and leave us begging for more.

#57 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56

They won't, like most events they will talk about how great their brand is and how PS3 is doing well, it'll probably be at least 30 mins of old stuff before they start to talk about the future, the even is rumoured to be 1h 30 mins.

#58 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:02

They won't, like most events they will talk about how great their brand is and how PS3 is doing well, it'll probably be at least 30 mins of old stuff before they start to talk about the future, the even is rumoured to be 1h 30 mins.

Great. I bet a huge chunk of that hour and thirty minutes will be filler. Well, if they don't show anything awesome then it probably means they're saving it for E3 2013. It would be great if they showed a tech demo to demonstrate the capabilities of the PS4.

#59 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06

Yeah it's annoying but not unexpected, they will probably want to let people/shareholders know that the PS3 still has some life left before they reveal the Orbis.

#60 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:09

I get that the Ouya is supposed to be a low end gaming option encouraging more Android game development, but if Sony could actually LEAD the way in terms of this on the high-end spectrum, it would be quite amazing. As it stands, people can hate on Apple all they want, but right now, gaming sucks on Android compared to iOS. I used to play on my iPod all the time, and with my GSII now, I've had more of a hard time finding games I actually want to play. I'd love for an Android push!

I wouldn't say it'd be the kiss of death to Microsoft, but it'd light the fire under their ass to get themselves in gear. I'm not too pleased with Microsoft lately, but I hope vicious competition brings something good from them just the same.

Can't wait to see what we find out tomorrow! :D

Posted Image

Rumors are already that the next xbox will run either win8/windows RT apps or similar and be able to run them parallel with games(ie pause/tombstone the game as you multitask between the game and apps). In which case MS will still have the upper hand as RT apps are at the very least designed to work on devices like these, while android apps are generally phone apps.

I think chances are that if Sony is doing something similar, they will stear clear of android apps and aim for a solution of their own. for two reasons, one, android apps don't fit to well on the big screen and secondly. in order to legally run android apps on the platform they would have to actually run android as the OS. and the chances of that is about non existent, if they d it's already crippled as a gaming platform so. Look at the chinese who tried to run dalvik apps without running actual android. and while there are legal ways to do it, they still wouldn't have access to the android app store so.... that would make it fairly pointless again, and you'd be back to "better off with their own console optimized app platform". That way they can also make sure app design is uniform and fits with the Playstation experience. like the "metro" apps on the nextbox will fit with the metro experience/UI on that.