A few local photographers who use too many filters.

It is kind of sad how everyone these days is a "Photographer". It's so easy for someone to buy a DSLR and buy photoshop, offer crappy work and steal the jobs from those of us who have put out effort. I'm all for Photography being taken out of schools.

I was watching a great documentary on Sunday, can't remember if it was Sky Arts... about Annie Leibovitz. I thought it was fascinating.

Actually the sad part is nobody is educated enough in Arts to identify good pictures from bad ones. That's exactly why instagram filter galore pictures are so popular.

Everyone just look at the colors and say "wow that's a great picture".

Same goes for musicians and painters.

Oh like the ones that have been here in the UK, a blank frame in museums? and years back people buying a recording that lasted over 3 minutes of nothing. Or any rubbish like people sitting in a tree and calling themselves artists and it's all over the news. Or a floor full of beads.

Well at least with the new photoshop CC it will get harder, but then again, I don't think these effects were added with photoshop.

Except now, they can even learn to professionally edit and tweak photos properly and will rely on their various automatic filter application apps...

Yup, we got a separate thread for that :)

And yeah that last once is at least "decent". I notices you said... "she"... Is this the reason you look at the photos so muc :p /prick

My point was actually that starting a thread ridiculing and belittling the work of others seems a bit petty. It feels a bit like trying to make your own work seem better by pointing out how much others suck.

Either way it's in poor form.

I don't really mind how people consider themselves photographers, it's one of the only professions where you can see if someone is any good or not pretty much instantly (i.e. look at their portfolio). Yeah some people overdo the filters, but i think everyone at some stage has applied too many filters in photoshop/lightroom/final cut/movie maker/powerpoint (transitions).

It's that learning curve and something i always think of as the leon angle, i know it sounds strange but in the film Leon is a hitman, a profession where the apt the less of a weapon you need until you're simply left with a knife. I think everyone who has an aptitude do refining their work takes this on and slowly reduces their dependance on filters and other computer effects.

However as i said i don't mind, im not a professional photographer but a girl + dslr + lr if it makes her happy who cares?

With all professions usually the people who think they are the best are the worst, the ones that are trying to perfect it are the best. I work in IT and after a few years become a know it all, however after a call to a compaq engineer i ate humble pie and vowed never to be a big head again.

I can't remember the lady's name but i live by her quote "The best camera is the one with you" I think she went on to do an amazing exhibition using only her iPhone.

I want to get into photography (purely as a hobby, no desire to call myself a "professional" at any point. Anyhow, I want to learn to create nice photographs without the need for filters and effects. I don't see them as a cardinal sin, but I know a lot of people who take mediocre photographs, and then dress them up with filters and effects.

One of my good friends is a photographer, and she has invested VERY HEAVILY in her hardware. At my wedding she took some absolutely astounding photos, and I mean just beautiful shots with a real style about them. And yet, she was able to show me these on a laptop hours after taking them, purely in a photo viewer, not lightroom or such - sure these were quick "proofs" (if you will) but she did all the word on her camera, no filters or effects.

Except now, they can even learn to professionally edit and tweak photos properly and will rely on their various automatic filter application apps...

My point was actually that starting a thread ridiculing and belittling the work of others seems a bit petty. It feels a bit like trying to make your own work seem better by pointing out how much others suck.

Either way it's in poor form.

You mean with photoshop CC they won't be able to learn properly? ( I don't quite understand what you're trying to say :p ).

Also, over at dpreview, which is a photography only forum, you see this type of threads all the time, it's what give's us insight and that's the point of the forum anyway? Healthy discussion! Well at the moment there hasn't been any discussion as we all agree that the filter crap has gone overboard, but you get my point...

Well the can was supposed to be can't, but... yeah.

either way I don't see ridiculing others as a healthy discussion. more as low brow humor.

Oh like the ones that have been here in the UK, a blank frame in museums? and years back people buying a recording that lasted over 3 minutes of nothing. Or any rubbish like people sitting in a tree and calling themselves artists and it's all over the news. Or a floor full of beads.

Yes, something like those.

Art/Music/Photography is(are) an EXPRESSION of emotions that can touch the other people's soul. If you omit the second part of the sentence then obviously ANYTHING can be called Art/Music/Photography.

For that 3 minutes of nothing song, I believe that's the famous 4'33" by John Cage. LOL among musician friends we often make fun to those couldn't have enough time to prepare a full concert should just perform 4'33".