paris charity group culture minister

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,493 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:02

Being poor is no excuse for bad hygiene, I'm not exactly rich and I wash every day.

It is an excuse if you cannot afford hygiene products.

I would rather stink than let my partner and our children go without food.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,977 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:02

Regardless who agrees with it...it shouldn't of happened. Museums are big places and if someone doesn't like the way someone smells, then they can move on and come back to that spot later.

As I said, nobody wants to have to ask people to leave due to their poor hygiene but if it ruins the enjoyment of the museum for the other visitors then it is not unreasonable.

Society used to be very tolerant of others...just seems that everyday the tables are turning.

You're joking, right? Black people didn't used to be able to vote, were prohibited from frequenting the same establishments as white people and were hung from trees if they stepped out of place; Jews were massacred because of racial intolerance; women were treated as subservient to men; gay people were publicly shamed and killed; the poor used to be jailed; Christians massacred Muslims due to religious hatred, etc. Society is more tolerant than it has ever been. Asking a family to leave a museum because they are ruining the enjoyment of others doesn't even factor on the scale of intolerance. Let's keep things in perspective here!

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:13

As I said, nobody wants to have to ask people to leave due to their poor hygiene but if it ruins the enjoyment of the museum for the other visitors then it is not unreasonable.

And as I said, museums are BIG places and if someone doesnt like the way someone smells, move on and come back. It takes less time than to go over and talk to someone and have the person leave. Museums are for everyone and not just the people who smell like roses and as long as the family wasnt causing a disturbance, then this should never of happened.

You're joking, right? Black people didn't used to be able to vote, were prohibited from frequenting the same establishments as white people and were hung from trees if they stepped out of place; Jews were massacred because of racial intolerance; women were treated as subservient to men; gay people were publicly shamed and killed; the poor used to be jailed; Christians massacred Muslims due to religious hatred, etc. Society is more tolerant than it has ever been. Asking a family to leave a museum because they are ruining the enjoyment of others doesn't even factor on the scale of intolerance. Let's keep things in perspective here!

Racism is a different story and different topic. Dealing with someones individual quirks and commenting on them is different than dealing with someone as a whole and making comments.

#19 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,986 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 830

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:27

So, I'm remembering completely wrong when I remember you being one of those who say people shouldn't stereotype all americans under the same stereotype then. I mean, I must be since you find it perfectly ok to stereotype other nationalities ?

I have yet to meet an American who didn't stereotype the rest of the world and at the same time was ok with everyone stereotyping America.

#20 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:42

This whole situation just smells.

#21 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:48

This whole situation just smells.

/end thread

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,977 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:50

Racism is a different story and different topic. Dealing with someones individual quirks and commenting on them is different than dealing with someone as a whole and making comments.

You said that society used to be more tolerant of others, which is factually untrue as evidenced by the examples I listed earlier. Racial intolerance is still intolerance.

At the end of the day, people were unhappy enough to complain and the security guards did what they thought best. This is barely worthy of an article in a local paper, let alone complaints to the culture minister or international scrutiny. They weren't discriminated against (discrimination being defined as "[making] distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit").

#23 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

• 2,427 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:56

Being poor is no excuse for bad hygiene, I'm not exactly rich and I wash every day.

You have a computer and internet, you can't exactly class yourself in the same league....

Unless a charity is providing your computer and internet access...

#24 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:00

You said that society used to be more tolerant of others, which is factually untrue as evidenced by the examples I listed earlier. Racial intolerance is still intolerance.

Did I say anything about race? When someone posts in a thread, they normally go by the topic and stay on it. And skin color/ethnicity is again different than the way someone smells, dresses, religious views, attitude, or the way they talk.

And maybe things were the same and its the because the media is more present and why people appear to not tolerate others more than they once did.

#25 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,493 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:08

These things still happen even in liberal U.S.A.

An African American got hung from a tree recently for daring to sit on the same wall as a Caucasian.

Iran, they stone homosexuals to death as well as women.

#26 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 01 February 2013 - 22:15

dont care if you are poor or not ... not hygienic? keep away from civilization

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:13

You know, they must have been really stinking to offend others. Most people tolerate a lot. Still, the charity needs to present clear guidelines on what to do and what not to do and good hygiene should be at the top of the list.

#28 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,895 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28

Perhaps the charity rep could have taken them somewhere to clean and freshen up, then returned to the museum.

#29 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,350 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:32

I have yet to meet an American who didn't stereotype the rest of the world and at the same time was ok with everyone stereotyping America.

I have yet to meet ANYONE who doesn't stereotype at least a little. It's your natural reaction to fill in the details you don't know. It's a natural attempt to rationalize differences in culture. It's the product of ignorance, and sometimes fear. But everyone is ignorant. It's impossible to know everything about everyone, so you are forced to make generalizations.

#30 CuriousC@

CuriousC@

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:23

This makes me so sad. Why didn't someone offer to help them?