• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 09 March 2013 - 00:57

Wow this is great, can i ask why people would want server 2012 running on this?

portable server install for security and rapid deployment.

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:03

portable server install for security and rapid deployment.

That makes no sense what so ever. A server is typically a static entity on a network, you just threw out a bunch of generic terms with no real explanation or real world usage scenario.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:07

Boot from USB>have instant server that's pre-configured. No need to install. How hard is that to understand?

#19 xbamaris

xbamaris

Neowinian

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:10

Boot from USB>have instant server that's pre-configured. No need to install. How hard is that to understand?

Because if you want to do it right you should take the time and create an image of a pre-configured server.... You're just asking for trouble for doing W2G on a Server

#20 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:49

What's so bad about having a portable server install? Nothing. Everyone has different specifications for thier uses. No need to bash anyone elses's specifications.

#21 DJGM

DJGM

Mancunian

Posted 17 March 2013 - 20:45

Less then 30 minutes depending on your hardware, really? So, why does GImageX say it's going to take nearly 248 minutes
to complete? This is on a Core i3 based laptop with 4GB RAM installed. Less than 30 minutes is a nonsense, unless you do
this on a very high spec system with at least 10 quad core CPU's and over 32GB of enterprise grade RAM installed!

Posted Image

#22 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 17 March 2013 - 20:54

Less then 30 minutes depending on your hardware, really? So, why does GImageX say it's going to take nearly 248 minutes
to complete? This is on a Core i3 based laptop with 4GB RAM installed. Less than 30 minutes is a nonsense, unless you do
this on a very high spec system with at least 10 quad core CPU's and over 32GB of enterprise grade RAM installed!

Posted Image

You're putting temporary files on the installation target. Maybe that's why?

EDIT: The tutorial doesn't mention setting the temp location, I guess.

#23 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:00

Either you've got a slow USB host device or USB port (1.0 or 1.1).
As said you should NOT be using the USB drive as the image creation medium, it'll constantly being doing small writes which WILL degrade the USB much quicker.

#24 Smiler Martin Hudgeon

Smiler Martin Hudgeon

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2013 - 18:37

Excellent tutorial!

One question though, and this might seem naïve, but how does activation function here? Typically speaking, if I was to take a hard drive out of one PC and put it in another one it probably would work, but windows would notice the different hardware and prompt for re-activation (Same as modern versions of office). I am curious how this would work as I have read the article thoroughly and can't seem to find any reference to circumvent this.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed something.

#25 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:48

Excellent tutorial!

One question though, and this might seem naïve, but how does activation function here? Typically speaking, if I was to take a hard drive out of one PC and put it in another one it probably would work, but windows would notice the different hardware and prompt for re-activation (Same as modern versions of office). I am curious how this would work as I have read the article thoroughly and can't seem to find any reference to circumvent this.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed something.

I believe you'd have to have a separate license for it that way. Windows To Go is an enterprise Windows feature and the license for it should be included in your volume license agreement.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:56

Great tutorial. Here is a video about it on technet

http://technet.micro...s/jj737992.aspx

#27 Peter Heiligenbrunner

Peter Heiligenbrunner

Neowinian

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:04

Hi,
thanks for the great tutorial.
I have a big problem: I tried to create this usb-device with 6 different windows8 images.
And not one of these worked.
Everytime I try to boot from the usb-device I get a blue-screen which tells me that winload.exe is missing or corrupt. No matter if I use a 16gb or a 32gb usb-stick. I tried some Bios setting combinations like AHCI/IDE but that also didn't work. Repair console from rescue disk tells me that it can't repair the usb device.
Any suggestions?

#28 OP ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:26

Hi,
thanks for the great tutorial.
I have a big problem: I tried to create this usb-device with 6 different windows8 images.
And not one of these worked.
Everytime I try to boot from the usb-device I get a blue-screen which tells me that winload.exe is missing or corrupt. No matter if I use a 16gb or a 32gb usb-stick. I tried some Bios setting combinations like AHCI/IDE but that also didn't work. Repair console from rescue disk tells me that it can't repair the usb device.
Any suggestions?

Hmm not entirely sure actually! Considering its a BSOD winload.exe I'm going to point the finger at the process where you copy the boot files to the root of the USB, so steps 11 through to 13. However having said that, I do believe I have seen that error on systems which don't properly support USB boot. Have you been successful at loading other images like a Live Linux or Windows Installation install?

#29 Peter Heiligenbrunner

Peter Heiligenbrunner

Neowinian

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:48

Thanks for the fast answer :)

Yes ubuntu, xubuntu, mint, windows installation are working from same usb-devices.
I tried all those things on 2 different Pc configurations with different chipsets. One is socket Am3 and the other one socket 1155. In the last step of the tutorial I also tried to copy files from my windows installation on hard drive to the stick - but that also didn't work. I also started the command line with administrator rights.
It's always the same bluescreen.

Oh and I am working with windows 8 prof (x64) and want to put windows 8 enterprise(x64) on the usb-device if that is important. I also tried the image you posted at the beginning of the tutorial after several tries with other images. I also always started the x64 instance of gimageix.

Is there maybe a image of a ready testversion of windows8 which I can download and try?

#30 OP ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 05 May 2013 - 13:12

Thanks for the fast answer :)

Yes ubuntu, xubuntu, mint, windows installation are working from same usb-devices.
I tried all those things on 2 different Pc configurations with different chipsets. One is socket Am3 and the other one socket 1155. In the last step of the tutorial I also tried to copy files from my windows installation on hard drive to the stick - but that also didn't work. I also started the command line with administrator rights.
It's always the same bluescreen.

Oh and I am working with windows 8 prof (x64) and want to put windows 8 enterprise(x64) on the usb-device if that is important. I also tried the image you posted at the beginning of the tutorial after several tries with other images. I also always started the x64 instance of gimageix.

No worries! :) Since you've booted before then its definitely the part where the boot files are copied! When you run the commands as admin what do they say?