Photo

Halo 4 Stats - with API (Finally)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 iLoch

iLoch

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:59

To be fair, anyone with a big site wouldn't have lasted long anyway. Us doing this is unlikely to make much difference.

Like I said, HaloTracker is running thousands of queries daily. My guess is that 343i is fully aware and they are turning a blind eye. You've put HTR in the spotlight and now 343i will be forced to act because of all the extra incoming requests - and they'll be blocking any and all outside websites sending a sufficient amount of requests. Next time provide an unauthenticated throttled JSON service like Firestream has, and save the authenticated requests for Microsoft, 3rd parties, and people who have figured it out on their own.

#17 iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:57

The most responsible developers in the community have had access for a while. We know sharing is caring. There's a right, and a wrong way of doing it. (See http://halocharts.com JSON service) By releasing this source code, you've allowed anyone to hit the service with a million requests. 343i already have tightened the API - my guess is that you didn't notice since you didn't get access right away. Next step is an IP whitelist.

Unless I'm an idiot. Which is entirely possible. That "public" halocharts JSON has 2 endpoints. Which sure left a lot of room for creativity -_-

No one here is trying to make another HaloTracker. The only tone I'm getting from you, is that you want to remain the only stat tracking website. The problem is though, everyone likes their stats differently. I don't want an over-bloated and what I think poor design. I want stats in a quick and modern design, which is why I started Leaf. HaloWaypoint is too flashy for my consumption, and unless halo.junk.ws made a H4 version I have no where to go.

I wonder, were you one of the developers who were invited to the private Bungie API as it was made? I don't recognize your username from the 20ish of us that were there. That group of developers shared knowledge and we all worked together to create better applications for all. There was a HaloTracker dev in that group, but I don't think it was you. Point being, we were all friends working for the end user. Which you are forgetting. So as you continue to pull your "special responsible" developer card, I will simply work on Leaf.

<3 peaches

#18 iLoch

iLoch

Neowinian

Posted 05 February 2013 - 23:18

I'm not sure which group you are referring to, I was not apart of that. I'm also not a developer for HaloTracker, but I did help xorth get the site working with regards to the Halo 4 API - which is why HTR never skipped a beat. I'm going to assume the Reach API group you're referring to was created after the announcement of the closing of Bungie's API. My response is that I had access to 343i's API about a month prior to that all happening so I would have had no use for that group. My position is the same as everyone else's in here: open stats for everybody. There's a reason they aren't though, and that's because there are plenty of people with ill intent that will use the service to do harm (namely just slam it with requests) and so I've never released anything to the public. It only makes sense.

#19 OP Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16

I'm not sure which group you are referring to, I was not apart of that. I'm also not a developer for HaloTracker, but I did help xorth get the site working with regards to the Halo 4 API - which is why HTR never skipped a beat. I'm going to assume the Reach API group you're referring to was created after the announcement of the closing of Bungie's API. My response is that I had access to 343i's API about a month prior to that all happening so I would have had no use for that group. My position is the same as everyone else's in here: open stats for everybody. There's a reason they aren't though, and that's because there are plenty of people with ill intent that will use the service to do harm (namely just slam it with requests) and so I've never released anything to the public. It only makes sense.

Some people will do bad things, so punish everyone who won't.

This is why people can't have nice things.

#20 iLoch

iLoch

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2013 - 16:17

Yeah you're exactly right. We shouldn't give people nice things if they're going to abuse them. The only people who deserve to have access to this API at this point are the people who figured it out for themselves.