Show us your Aquarium Setups

In this thread you may post pics of your Aquarium setups. Honestly it could be fish, turtles, frogs, snakes and etc :) I'm surprised no one made a thread for this guy of stuff.

385586_430073640351979_529027086_n.jpg

536635_430070517018958_1798242518_n.jpg

521912_430070967018913_23712303_n.jpg

I have 2 RES turtles. These photos are old and the turtles are much bigger now. I have plans to upgrade the setup with more rocks and adding moss.

• Like 3

Turtles are awesome.

I always mean to set-up an aquarium. Then I spend my money on other ****.

I love the sound of the water pumps at night. I find it relaxing.

My Aquarium ...

If you think you're being funny.....you're not.

If you think you are succeeding in fooling people.....you're not.

Wow!

Can't believe this has never been posted either!

I've had at least 1 aquarium most of my life, but, unfortunately do not have one now. :(

Very relaxing to set and watch them. Maybe this will give me the incentive to setup another one. Might even try a salt water aquarium this time.

Wow!

Can't believe this has never been posted either!

I've had at least 1 aquarium most of my life, but, unfortunately do not have one now. :(

Very relaxing to set and watch them. Maybe this will give me the incentive to setup another one. Might even try a salt water aquarium this time.

haha Yeah I know. Why did you get rid of it if you dont mind me asking? Like compl3x said its very relaxing and nice to watch..

Watch this vide got me serious about putting some effort on my tank.

This one is simply jaw dropping :woot:

haha Yeah I know. Why did you get rid of it if you dont mind me asking? Like compl3x said its very relaxing and nice to watch..

So watching trapped and bored animals just swimming around in confoned space is relaxing? You actually watch them bore to death. These are animals that like to swim out in the open, not confoned to 4 walled glass for human gratification.

So watching trapped and bored animals just swimming around in confoned space is relaxing? You actually watch them bore to death. These are animals that like to swim out in the open, not confoned to 4 walled glass for human gratification.

...who the hell is this? The pet police? :rolleyes:

Great idea! Ill take some fresh photos of my setups today and get them up :)

awesome! Cant wait to see! I'm going to take some new photos once I redo my current setup. Need more basking space lol

I disagree, if a tanks setup right the inhabitants do not mind the invisible confines, rarely swimming up and down the perimeter glass, they go about their business, in their groups filter feeding through the sand or swimming and resting under lush natural plants from their natural habitat, definitely not bored or stressed, their colours bright n vibrant which only happens when everythings just peachy for them (including stress levels).

A lot of the species fishkeepers kept in the right conditions actually help with conservation, a lot of us successfully breed certain species to allow re-introduction into their natural habitat. If an aquarium is set up correctly and the right habitats set up for the species kept, the life expenctancy actually is longer than in the wild, if they are "bored to death" why do they have a much longer lifespan that would ever be possible in the wild (without their natural predators)?

Main tank lights not on yet, so meantime heres my recently setup 30Ltr tank with Endlers livebearers, a week in and I have 9 wee babies :D

30ltr.jpg

Main Amazonian Biotope tank lighting is still off, will take pics once the lightings on. Meanwhile heres a poor pic of it few weeks back, my plants are a lot more lush now :)

We also keep a pair of crested geckos in a Terrerium, you reckon that counts?

old180.jpg

My feeding routine for the plants n steady light cycles are the key to lush growth. All echindorus plant species in main tank.

8 hours lighting twin T5 Nature with reflectors.

30 mins before lights off add Easy Carbo (liquid carbon replacement) 2ml per litre. (25ml dose)

biweekly feed of Seachem Flourish. (10ml per week)

Seachem plant tabs in substrate.

Just as I'm trying to resist getting a new aquarium this thread emerges out of nowhere... You've all got some amazing setups there, I can't wait to get into it again! I used to have Malawi cichlids in a 200L Juwel tank, but haven't had any since moving to the UK. :D

do it Jub do it, you know you want to, I think londons hard alkaline water, so youd be perfect for another Malawi setup :)

A Rio 180 full setup with stand n all fittings should be around ?300ish here in the UK.

Im lucky where i am the waters Ph 6.4 out the tap GH8ish n nice n soft, add tap water condition and boom all sorted, perfect for my South Americans.

nice thread my other hobby besides pc's

this is a shot of my Discus tank when it was set up its more mature now will get some new pics soon

post-430294-0-30063200-1359813871.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Background Story

From a young age I started several businesses, which like all businesses have their own up's and down's. I remember around 5 years ago during a particularly bad time I passed out from high blood pressure. The doctor just recommended several methods of reversing this issue naturally before they take anymore assisted routes. I originally bought a dog and use to go running in the morning but when I meet my wife she was heavily allergic to the dog and he now lives in a better place.

So I decided to try another recommendation - A fish tank. Since I do not have much time on my hands - time to tinker here and there, I have enjoyed slowly developing my tanks a little projects. When completed I usually sell them whole and start again on a new experiment.

Currently I have two,

1: Discus Tank (In my office)

2: Saltwater Tank (In my home)

I am currently in the office and here is a picture,

My office Discus tank

8400209588_43895320a7_b.jpg

About the tank

Display Tank: 90 Gallons Perfecto tank with black silicone

Sump: 30 Gallons Long Perfecto tank with black silicone, 3 chambers created from acrylic 1 chamber sealed to keep the temperature solid for biological media

Overflows: Built from 2 * 1.5" PVC pipes feeding from the surface to maintain the height of water in the display tank

Return: Danner Mag Drive 9.5 (950 Gph) delivering water at the rate of 750 Gph due to head height

Heated: Ehiem Jeiger

Co2: 20lbs tank with Milwaukee regulator, Red Sea Needle Valve, Red Sea Bubble Counter, Red Sea Co2 Reactor

Stock

6 Discus

4 Congo Tetras

2 German Blue Rams

4 Bolivian Rams

2 Kirbensis

1 Bristle Nose Plecostomus

Great topic!

Been thinking about buying an aquarium for couple of months now, as they're the only kind of 'pets' I can keep in this city apartment.

Have any of you experience from the ReefOne Biorb aquariums? They're mean't to be easy to setup and clean, at same time however also look stylish.

Is it just marketing, or are they actually recommendable?

Great topic!

Been thinking about buying an aquarium for couple of months now, as they're the only kind of 'pets' I can keep in this city apartment.

Have any of you experience from the ReefOne Biorb aquariums? They're mean't to be easy to setup and clean, at same time however also look stylish.

Hi Markus,

I do not find the individual who likes (possibly loves) computers to be miles apart from an individual who likes (possibly loves) aquariums. They demands the same skill sets, which understand the complexity of how the system functions together. Research on products and tactics for deployment, which comes to the same logic - "You get what you pay for", "Research is the key to successful" and "Experience helps".

Both hobbies suffer from the same community issues, 101 ways to achieve a single goal, overly critical people, under experienced people providing advice.

I found it easy to adapt too!

Back to your question directly: What setup works for one might not work for you, I would instead use the same method of how I buy a computer, buy components that best fit the job and stay away from pre-made setups. This way you will get exactly what you want / need to accomplish what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a Reef setup - You will have a lot of reading to go through before starting, at-least to get you focused in the right direction.

As promised now my main tanks lightings up, heres a couple of snaps :)

@Tonyh, that's some impressive Discus, esp your brilliant Turqs, lovely colouring :)

@Tim S, again you've certainly also got a natural talent also, that discus tank is pretty sweet.

While Discus arnt as hard to keep as they once were, its still no easy ride, kudos to you both for such fine examples :) im jealous. When I can afford a Rio350 im gonna go Discus for sure.

To give a sense of scale on the image directly below, the tank is 1m long (180L), and the sword leaves you can see at top of water hanging down the front glass are from the background plants and hang right over, leaves & stems around 1m long! the normally very shy dwarf pencils play and swim happily under this canopy bold as brass :)

20130202175419.jpg

endel.jpg

Livestock

Cardinal Tetras

Red Eye Tetras

Glowlight Tetras

Platinum Tetras

Lemon Tetras

Silver Hatchets

Peppered Corys

Bronze Corys

Octo Dwarf Cats

Bristlenose Plecs

Apistogramma Cockatiel Cichlids

4-Stripe Dwarf Pencil Fish

Zebra Snails

Hardscape

18Kg of S American driftwood (2 pieces)

25Kg of Unipac Amazonia Black Sand

Juwel Boiflow 600 Filtration/heater unit

2x T5 895mm Nature 45W with Reflectors 8 hour Photoperiod

30% weekly water change with Seachem Prime

Plant Feed

Nightly Easylife EasyCarbo Feed

5ml Seachem Flourish Daily feed

Seachem plant tabs in substrate

Tank has been up and running for approx. 16months.

All plants are Echindorus species in main tank from around River Negro and Southern America

Christmas Tree Moss (poetic licence)

Amazonicus Swords

Bolivian Swords

Tennalus Swords (foreground plantlets) started with 3 motherplants just over a year ago.........!!

Redflame Swords

Vesuveus Swords

And a snapshot of a Nanotank im currently setting up for my mum. (30x30x45) 30L

mums.jpg

lightly stocked atm with 6 Microrasboras (1cm long) and 2 dwarf harlequins which I believe shes away for 4 more to make up her dither fish shoal and 6 crystal red shrimp when they arrive next week :)

All live plantings btw.

I find setting up a tank and its ecosystem just as thrilling as actually stocking them :) next projects getting into Aquascaping I think, as soon as I can convince my other half we should have another couple of tanks :p

• Like 3

Great topic!

is the Biorob ones the rounded globe types? Ive always shyed away from them because of the limited water surface area at the top, you want as large a surface area as possible for Air/Oxygen osmosis etc.

If you have a few quid and want a well made high quality systems, have a look at Juwels, the Lido range and quite different and can come with stands etc. Juwels internal filter/heater system & lights are second to none.