Having trouble getting "Find My iPhone" to work

I had an iPhone 3GS, installed Find my iPhone on it & all was well - could find the location of this phone by using my PC.

I then bought an iPhone 4S years later & gave the iPhone 3GS to my brother. The 3GS i gave to my brother had all my installed apps on it. It's still on my iTunes account - he doesn't have an account. I just deleted all the text messages etc from it.

I installed Find my iPhone on my iPhone 4S. Yet when i log in to iCloud & go to Find my iPhone, instead of finding either BOTH the 3GS & the 4S, or finding just the 4S, it only finds the 3GS.

I'd ideally like it to find both. Why can i only track my brother & not my own phone?

How are you "installing" Find my Phone, it's built into the OS AFAIK, you just turn it on.... are you sure you aren't downloading some 3rd party app?

Actually no. The "Find my iPhone" app is the client used to find iOS devices and is a separate download. The tracking is built-in. Prior to iCloud, I think that functionality was provided via the Find my iPhone app.

To the OP, ensure that you have it on by logging into iCloud with your Apple ID and enabling the Find my iPhone option under 'iCloud' in Settings.

On your 4S go to 'Settings' -> 'Location Services'. Make sure 'Location Services' is on & scroll down the list and turn on 'Find My iPhone' if it isn't already.

Finally go to 'Settings' -> 'iCloud' and make sure 'Find My iPhone' is set to on.

Then go to your home screen & open 'Find My iPhone', login and both the 3GS & 4S should now track.

On your 4S go to 'Settings' -> 'Location Services'. Make sure 'Location Services' is on & scroll down the list and turn on 'Find My iPhone' if it isn't already.

Finally go to 'Settings' -> 'iCloud' and make sure 'Find My iPhone' is set to on.

Then go to your home screen & open 'Find My iPhone', login and both the 3GS & 4S should now track.

Ah many thanks.

It seems the problem was that my stored icloud details were incorrect, as everything you said to turn ON actually was.

Showing fine now. Thanks again.

Something has gone seriously wrong with this phone....

I'm sure (although not 100%) that when i went to bed last night, my phone was ok (as in - normal). The battery only had 1% on it so by the time i woke up the phone was dead.

Put it on charge, hit the gym, came home. Had a text off the wife, but instead of her name coming up it was just her number - strange.

So i open my contacts list & my contacts list is basically my brothers list. The only people on the list that i had in my contacts list are the typical ones - family members,

However "ME" instead of being his phone number is still me - MY phone number.

What's happened to my contacts & how do i get these back?

Couldn't wait much longer.

Ended up having to do a restore, so i've lost 5 days worth of stuff, but at least i've got my contacts back.

I'd like to export my contacts list FROM my iPhone TO either google contacts or Windows contacts, but everything i've read seems to be vice versa.

How do i export FROM the iPhone?