24 posts in this topic

Posted

A woman says the battery in her iPhone suddenly overheated this week, oozing a dark liquid and destroying the phone. Apple, however, is refusing to replace the phone, according to its owner, Shibani Bhujle, a marketing manager in New York.

It

Posted

Didn't it turn out that the Galaxy S3 had been microwaved or something?

Posted

this is like the Toyota acceleration issue, sometimes people want a lawsuit so they set up a accident fraudulent to possibly get money. While there is a few real cases, there are tons of lawsuit copycats.

1 person likes this

Posted

This usually occurs because of an internal short in a lithium based battery. Thankfully, the battery industry is improving the chemistry and instances like this are currently rare and hopefully will be a thing of the past in the near future.

1 person likes this

Posted

To be fair, if it was as bad as the article claims, the whole backside of the iPhone would be melted off along with the back of the battery... a simple coffee spill wouldn't cause that to an iPhone. In either case, we don't have pictures, so we'll never know.

Posted

Didn't it turn out that the Galaxy S3 had been microwaved or something?

It was checked over by Samsung who found water damage and the guy ended up admitting he thought it would dry it out a lot quicker in the microwave instead of letting nature take its course.

In this case it looks like self inflicted damaged. That shattered glass looks like the phone was dropped from height.

Posted

Does this look like a woman who would lie:

shibani-bhujle.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, it's out of warranty so tough luck with getting a new one. She can settle or sue for damages if there was medically certified bodily harm done.

Posted

Read on @ source

IMO I think it's a coincidence it started 'oozing a dark liquid' on a coffee table, where the 'liquid' just so happens to look like coffee.

I say this must be false.

Like everyone knows all apple devices never ever break down, cannot get viruses and never ever crash!

2 people like this

Posted

I think Apple should patent the idea, a phone with built in portable heater is really useful. How innovative.

Posted

Like everyone knows all apple devices never ever break down, cannot get viruses and never ever crash!

The only people who perpetuate this myth are people like you, arguing against an assertion that hasn't been made in a very, very long time.

1 person likes this

Posted

ya, move on...

Posted

This usually occurs because of an internal short in a lithium based battery. Thankfully, the battery industry is improving the chemistry and instances like this are currently rare and hopefully will be a thing of the past in the near future.

Unless your flying in a Boeing :woot::omg:

Posted

shibani-bhujle.jpg

Yes.

2 people like this

Posted

A lot of "femme fatales" are pretty good looking :p

Posted

I'm not sure I believe all of that. Or any of it.

Posted

You can't leave the phone on vibrate too long down there ...

1 person likes this

Posted

To be fair, if it was as bad as the article claims, the whole backside of the iPhone would be melted off along with the back of the battery... a simple coffee spill wouldn't cause that to an iPhone. In either case, we don't have pictures, so we'll never know.

The back of the phone is glass.....

Shall see what Apple says if/when this is investigated.

Posted

Stop being rational, this is Apple's fault.

shibani-bhujle.jpg

I think most blokes would believe anything she says.

Posted

The story also references the iPhone that caught fire on the plane, wasn't that caused by the owner getting it repaired by a non Apple certified technician who managed to get a screw lodged in the battery causing the reaction?

Posted

The back of the phone is glass.....

Shall see what Apple says if/when this is investigated.

Heh, good point, I had forgotten about that ^^;

Posted

This. Battery malfunction does happen and this is likely what happened here. If it is under warranty it will be replaced. If she was harmed she can sue.

Posted

Same happened to me, though I had mine in my arse cheek and was twisting my nipple at the same time, hmmm

Posted

Don't doubt that it melted. Also don't doubt that it's possible that it just happened but leaning heavily towards her phone being broken and this being an end result.