Stop making horrible console ports - a guide

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:36

I've seen you in the GW2 thread whining about the lack of DX11 for sure. Several other threads although I can't remember specifically what games.

No, you've seen me in the GW2 thread stating that I wouldn't buy the game until they added it, which I'm told they're working on.

And the other would be Dishonored. I might've mentioned Borderlands 2 but I didn't care about the game that much anyway. (Both of which I got for Christmas since they were half off.)

#17 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:41

Which is kind of my point.

Your experience in GW2 won't be dramatically altered in any way, shape or form if they add DX11 features. I think that would apply to the other games as well. Of all the things that those 3 games need to be improved, DX11 is right at the bottom of the list.

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:44

Money is just not in it for developers on PC. NONE of my friends play on PC, yet every single one of them has atleast one console and loads of games. Thats the exact reason I bought a console too, was to play with friends.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Most of the people I know game on PC; a couple of girls I know have a Wii but that's about it. The point is there's enough money in PC gaming for decent ports, as evidenced by the number of decent ports we do get. Games with bad ports tends to attract a huge amount of very negative criticism, like GTA4. Those with proper ports tends to receive a huge amount of positive recognition, like Dishonored, Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3. Bad PC ports increase the hostility directed at a game and can negatively influence sales on console.

The amount of effort put into a port shows how much developers and publishers care about their audience. I'm not interested in supporting publishers that don't respect the PC as a platform.

#19 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:45

Exactly, DirectX 11 didn't suddenly make AvP3 a good game, nor did it make Crysis 2 any better. There were just extremely subtle differences. You seem to be artificially limiting yourself from a tonne of games over a trifling matter.

#20 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:45

Also, bad PC ports lead to increase in piracy, as does the use of aggressive DRM.

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:46

Your experience in GW2 won't be dramatically altered in any way, shape or form if they add DX11 features. I think that would apply to the other games as well. Of all the things that those 3 games need to be improved, DX11 is right at the bottom of the list.

So buy them. I disagree, so I didn't buy them. And the world continues to turn.

#22 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:48

Exactly, DirectX 11 didn't suddenly make AvP3 a good game, nor did it make Crysis 2 any better. There were just extremely subtle differences. You seem to be artificially limiting yourself from a tonne of games over a trifling matter.

In a lot of games, using DX11 comes down to personal preference - some games look absolutely garbage with DX11, far too much bloom and lighting effects are applied.

So buy them. I disagree, so I didn't buy them. And the world continues to turn.

So if a game came out that was like the second coming of your favourite game ever, it was really well received by critics and players a like, it had unique innovations and amazing gameplay with a great story - but no DX11, would you still not buy it?

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:54

The first Crysis made such a horrible loss they had no choice but to develop the 2nd one for consoles too.

That's because the game was hugely delayed, wasn't very good and was horribly optimised. Even four years later I get framerate drops with a Core i7 @ 4.6GHz and GTX680 SLI setup, which is just ridiculous.

DirectX 11 didn't suddenly make AvP3 a good game, nor did it make Crysis 2 any better. There were just extremely subtle differences. You seem to be artificially limiting yourself from a tonne of games over a trifling matter.

Graphical improvements can't make up for a bad game but they can improve a good game. The DX11 features in Crysis 2 were certainly worthwhile, the tessellation especially. The point is more that the lack of such features indicates a poor port, which can mean other issues (like poor performance, bugs, etc). There really is no excuse not to include DX11 features nowadays - the lack of DX11 support certainly isn't a deal breaker (The Witcher 2 and Borderlands 2 were awesome) but it does make it less likely I'll buy a game and can diminish the experience.

#24 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 03 February 2013 - 15:58

That's because the game was hugely delayed, wasn't very good and was horribly optimised. Even four years later I get framerate drops with a Core i7 @ 4.6GHz and GTX680 SLI setup, which is just ridiculous.

Im sure the fact that it could only run on a paltry number of systems was a major factor, why plough all that cash into a game so that it can only run on a tiny number of PCs? Not every PC gamer has a liquid-cooled Extreme-overclocked i7 with SSDs and Crossfire Video cards.

#25 ensiform

ensiform

Neowinian

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:01

Menu fluidness and lack of allowing use of full mouse rather than having to switch to keyboard to press enter or F or whatever is a big no-no for me. And plentiful of options is necessary too.

Keybinds also. Needs to support binding 2 things per entry. Needs to allow me to bind any and all keys including mouse buttons. (Looking at dead space 1 here, yes lets allow you to rebind keys but god forbid I want to put attack on keyboard and movement on mouse, which I only play this way) If you really want to know my fps game setup I can really post it but its way different from the norm as I cannot stand playing using WASD and mouse for attack.

GFWL can suck it.

I generally play games in dx9 mode anyway so the textures aren't really an issue.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:05

Im sure the fact that it could only run on a paltry number of systems was a major factor, why plough all that cash into a game so that it can only run on a tiny number of PCs? Not every PC gamer has a liquid-cooled Extreme-overclocked i7 with SSDs and Crossfire Video cards.

Yeah, it was certainly a factor but then again the hype was all related to the graphics, so without it the game wouldn't have received the same attention. A major issue was the poor scalability, as when you turned down the graphics the game really looked pretty poor. I still maintain that the biggest problem was the gameplay itself - it just wasn't as fun or engaging as the original Far Cry.

#27 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:15

So if a game came out that was like the second coming of your favourite game ever, it was really well received by critics and players a like, it had unique innovations and amazing gameplay with a great story - but no DX11, would you still not buy it?

If it's DX12, sure :woot:

Also that already happened, it was Just Cause 2. But it was DX10, not 9.

#28 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

Posted 03 February 2013 - 16:37

The first Crysis made such a horrible loss they had no choice but to develop the 2nd one for consoles too.

The first Crysis didn't even make close to a loss it's one of the best selling PC games, it also made more than the multiplatform Crysis 2, the problem was it was HEAVILY pirated and they believed it should have sold more.

GTA4 should be seen as a way not to make PC games, 4 types of DRM, Steam DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club, unplayable FPS, released a year later and just all around unplayable.

#29 OP Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:18

GTA4 should be seen as a way not to make PC games, 4 types of DRM, Steam DRM, SecuROM, GFWL and Rockstar Social Club, unplayable FPS, released a year later and just all around unplayable.

It might be safe to say they (Rockstar) sort of learned their lesson for Max Payne 3 (or they may have totally given up on the PC in GTAV, but with the new delay they might change their minds after all). Mind you there's still the hitch about the unskippable first intro but at least they got rid of GfWL and coded in their own Social Hub overlay.

... even then, I think GTA4 is still playable on the PC. There are worse ports out there. :ermm:

#30 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:44

They don't have to add a bunch of dx11 features. The performance boost(which in some cases the game needs) from a decent dx11 renderer alone would be more than enough for gw2.