Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

should I buy a touch monitor or normal?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys, I want to get a 22 inch monitor instead of my 19 inch Viewsonic that I have (I was having it from 2006 I think). The question here should I get it touch base or normal? Yes, The OS that I have is win 8 but I may go back to Win 7 or even Ubuntu 12.04 (it looks good).

So, let me ask this in a diffrent way. Are the industry going to the way that evey application will be touch base or will it take a while untill then? So, Can I buy a normal moniter and maybe after 3 to 4 years will change it to touch base?

Thanks,

Posted

You'll easily be able to stick with a non-touch screen for years. The question you should be asking yourself is, "will I use the touch interface, or will it just be there for me as a novelty?"

1 person likes this

Posted

As someone who has had a touch monitor now for over 3 years, from Windows 7 to 8...

I never touch the damn thing!

2 people like this

Posted

I couldn't put up with the finger prints myself. My screen somehow gets covered in crap after 2 weeks use somehow, very odd

Posted

Try holding your hands up to the screen. Now hold the pose for a couple minutes.

Comfortable? If yes, get a touch screen.

Personally, for a desktop, I will not be replacing my mouse anytime soon.

When touch-enabled apps become more the norm, I'll get something I can hold (i.e. a tablet or detachable laptop)

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd use the extra money a touch screen would cost and get a 27" monitor. I love mine.

Posted

i would stick with a standard monitor for now, mostly for cost savings however, i just do not think you are going to want to use the touch screen on a desktop as your arm would get very tired attempting to use the device.

Posted

Depending on what OS you run. Windows 8 really sucks, but with a touchscreen, it actually really changes the user experiences and becomes worth it. Using one with Windows 7 is actually fun too, but you can live with out it. If everyone else in your household is going to be touching it, I don't suggest it though. For some odd reason, touch screens really attract kids and their Cheetos hands!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL-OkaGkht1jFlhmDmoalji-KztaR1Jxxsg9Wsbx4K5zoVjikLimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMKMuomEIcwkckBbUzeMb9zd5mDnm23-S0e5YTJ6p61TVVlb1xpm_monitor_62912.jpg20121125212821!LoL_Equal_Sign.pngdirty-screen.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Doesn't anyone use screen protectors? geez.

Posted

Try holding your hands up to the screen. Now hold the pose for a couple minutes.

Comfortable? If yes, get a touch screen.

Personally, for a desktop, I will not be replacing my mouse anytime soon.

When touch-enabled apps become more the norm, I'll get something I can hold (i.e. a tablet or detachable laptop)

BS. Why would my arm be outstretched for minutes at a time? I can still use touch and the mouse at the same time.

Posted

I just got a laptop for real cheap, and it has a touch screen. It actually makes Windows 8 usable and the OS actually makes sense. So, if you're going to use Windows 8, then I highly recommend one. I also hate fingerprints on screens, but there's always screen protectors and micro-fiber cloths ;)

Posted

Depending on what OS you run. Windows 8 really sucks, but with a touchscreen, it actually really changes the user experiences and becomes worth it. Using one with Windows 7 is actually fun too, but you can live with out it. If everyone else in your household is going to be touching it, I don't suggest it though. For some odd reason, touch screens really attract kids and their Cheetos hands!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL-OkaGkht1jFlhmDmoalji-KztaR1Jxxsg9Wsbx4K5zoVjikLimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMKMuomEIcwkckBbUzeMb9zd5mDnm23-S0e5YTJ6p61TVVlb1xpm_monitor_62912.jpg20121125212821!LoL_Equal_Sign.pngdirty-screen.jpg

Yuck. Wait until her time of the month is over before you get handsy.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd just go with a normal LCD for now.

Posted

For the price of a 23" Touch screen, you could get a verry good normal 27"... For me, bigger is better....

And I don't like Win8 so I don't care about touch at the moment, still holding on to Win7. If I want to touch something, I use my iPad...

Posted

That'd be cool. I want one.

Posted

I'd get one if you have it in the kitchen or the hallway as a hall kiosk of sorts... one of those would be cool to have if I had a bigger corridor in my hallway.

Posted

I'd say touch , at least you have the option down the road to use if you want to use it.

Posted

Ignore the people who have never used one. I have the new dell 10 point multitouch one that is also a usb 3dock. IF your PC is in your living room then I say get one. I use the touch screen a lot when I want to walk over and check something real quick like facebook , the weather, news, or to change a song.

If you are getting a surface pro then the dell multi touch one with dock will be a dock for the surface pro. All you would need to do is plugin the usb 3 cable to the tablet and it will give you the 4 usb 3 ports, Ethernet, speakers, webcam, mics and everything.

It all depends on where the pc is and what you are using it for.

PS I use mine with windows 8.

1 person likes this