• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:37

soooo ****ed off right now, updated to 6.1, and was ready to restore and do the jailbreak only find itunes has deleted all of my backups, every single sodding one. which is made worse by the fact that windows 8 doesnt have shadow copies automatically enabled like win7. Thankfully i havent lost everything, just my messages and app settings. But seriously come May im jumping ship to galaxy s4, had enough of apple now

iTunes doesn't delete all your backups unless you explicitly delete them from Prefs. It does delete older backups every n'th backup but never the whole set. Unless you meant to say that iTunes somehow deleted the backup you did just before you hit the restore button, which I find quite implausible unless you didn't let iTunes finish with the backup.
edit: suppose that did happen... you might be lucky if it's lingering around somewhere in Recycle Bin.

Also, have fun doing backups on Android. Out of box there isn't a one-step backup and restore process for phones. You'd need a bunch of third party tools to do that.

#32 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:11

soooo ****ed off right now, updated to 6.1, and was ready to restore and do the jailbreak only find itunes has deleted all of my backups, every single sodding one. which is made worse by the fact that windows 8 doesnt have shadow copies automatically enabled like win7. Thankfully i havent lost everything, just my messages and app settings. But seriously come May im jumping ship to galaxy s4, had enough of apple now

Android is fine and all, but Backups on Android are a bigger mess than they are on iOS so I don't see how that is going to solve your problem. I'm shocked that you lost all of your backups somehow. Sorry, man :(. I have Time Machine snapshotting my drive, and that has come in handy to get older backups restored.

iTunes doesn't delete all your backups unless you explicitly delete them from Prefs. It does delete older backups every n'th backup but never the whole set. Unless you meant to say that iTunes somehow deleted the backup you did just before you hit the restore button, which I find quite implausible unless you didn't let iTunes finish with the backup.
edit: suppose that did happen... you might be lucky if it's lingering around somewhere in Recycle Bin.

Also, have fun doing backups on Android. Out of box there isn't a one-step backup and restore process for phones. You'd need a bunch of third party tools to do that.

Best thing to do is unlock, root your Android phone and install Titanium Backup. (But you will have to RTFM for Titanium Backup before using it...). Alternatively, you can do backups in Recovery (as of ICS) that are "image" type backups (I believe). That's a lot of fun (having to boot up into recovery just to get a proper backup)! Don't know who has time for that....

The stock Google "Backup" is a complete and utter joke. No app data. No call/SMS history. Very few settings are restored. No homescreen backup. All it basically does is re-load your last wall paper and re-download all your apps (yipee!!!).

If you are going to Android for a better backup experience, prepare to be disappointed.

i did a normal itunes backup, backed up fine, even said last back up done at 17.40, updated to 6.1, then gave me the option of setting up a new phone only, which i thought was weird, so browsed to the location of the back up files in AppData/Apple Computer etc and the mobile sync folder was empty, so for some reason itunes spazzed out and deleted every back up, no sign of it in preferences either

Wow, that is bizarre :(. Sorry that happened. I'll be sure to double check my backup folder now!

#33 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:24

Also, to hopefully help Chemaz: You might try an "undelete" windows app. Just like in the old' days, most file system just mark data as safe to overwrite but isn't immediately zeroed out.

#34 Bizkit

Bizkit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:28

That's why I back up to iCloud.

Back on topic, some of the repos are letting you do stuff, but slowly. Very slowly. Waited all this time to get a jailbreak, and can't even install anything!

#35 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:07

Having trouble installing SBSettings...Guessing this is widespread then :p

#36 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 February 2013 - 23:48

Having trouble installing SBSettings...Guessing this is widespread then :p

yeah, all the repos except saurik's are still a no go
saurik seems to have found a way to work around the traffic

#37 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:03

its because he bought a CRAP ton of bandwidth.. lol

#38 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:13

Here is the linux build of evasi0n: http://rapidshare.co...elease.tar.lzma

#39 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:19

Is using emulator on iPad 3 illegal?

#40 Bizkit

Bizkit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 00:43

I believe that no, its not. The issue is using a rom if you dont have the physical copy. That is illegal. I believe. Either way, its in that grey area.

#41 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23

Lol, all my settings for all my jailbroken apps on my iPhone 5 are exactly how I left them on my iPhone 4.

It sure was nice of Apple to restore those settings for me when I restored the iPhone 4 backup to my iPhone 5 ;). Magical.

I agree with Bizkit in that it is kind of a grey area.

http://answers.yahoo...05104134AAcMyjK

#42 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53

Everything is installed. BiteSMS is awesome :). Loving having that back already. Still having some licensing issues with some previously purchased apps but I understand the situation is uncontrollable at the moment.

It is good to see so many apps already iPhone 5 optimized.

#43 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53

It's legal if you own the original of the game.. If not you enter a grey area.. and if they still sell the game in some form then you've surely crossed it.

All that said, I wouldn't worry about it too much one way or another..

#44 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:16

Here is the linux build of evasi0n: http://rapidshare.co...elease.tar.lzma

Anyone tested this yet? Im planning to do my dad's phone this weekend.

#45 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:33

Jailbroken and now about to update my iPads. Once the madness calms down I'll get f.lux on my iPhone 5 finally, and SBSettings finally.

This is a good day :)