Windows 8 Start Screen background image

Hi guys, I know there are several topics on this, I also know there are some apps that allow you to add a background image to the Start Menu. However, I saw a comment on a Neowin news post a while ago and someone said there's no point of the apps because it can be done by editing a Windows 8 .ini file. I can't find that comment anymore. I'm not quite sure if it was a .ini file but I wanted to ask if anyone here can tell me how exactly to add a custom background image to the Start Menu without any apps? Thanks bros :)

Hey man, I'm not 100% sure on what has to go down but I know you have to change the \Windows\System\imageres.dll and bake in your own picture! Probably a bit difficult if you haven't done it before but it would definitely be cool if someone showed us how to do it! In the mean time JUST USE APPS! You may think theyre pointless but the point of them is to make things easier for the user (it takes the fun out of things though :( ). I can vouch for THIS devian art program and also Decor8. Decor8 has a series of other cool features such as changing the start screen pictures as a slideshow and then updating the colour scheme to suit!